Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Salmon Blush?

Looks orange in that exposure. Knowing how Willcutt cranks up the lighting in their photo shoots, I wonder what it looks like in real life.

EDITED TO ADD: According to the Willcutt website, that color is 'crimson' which should be a dark red in real life.

And BTW, that Studio Custom's pickups are a really cool twist on the tried & true H-S-S pickup arangement! A humbucker and two PhatCat P90's. Brilliant idea!

+1

Brooks needs this guitar!

Salmon blush rules! It's my favorite transparent finish too.

And BTW, that Studio Custom's pickups are a really cool twist on the tried & true H-S-S pickup arangement! A humbucker and two PhatCat P90's. Brilliant idea!

But then, it has the three way switch only.

I just had Greg rewire one of my three pickup guitars so that all possible pickup combinations are there. He replaced the five way switch with a three way, and replaced the tone pot with a push-push on-off pot, which controls the middle pickup. With the push-push in the OFF position, you get the standard three-way switch choices - bridge, both, neck. With the pot in the ON position, you get bridge + middle, all three, and neck+ middle. Works great.

I just had Greg rewire one of my three pickup guitars so that all possible pickup combinations are there. He replaced the five way switch with a three way, and replaced the tone pot with a push-push on-off pot, which controls the middle pickup. With the push-push in the OFF position, you get the standard three-way switch choices - bridge, both, neck. With the pot in the ON position, you get bridge + middle, all three, and neck+ middle. Works great.

Perhaps there's a push/pull in there somewhere and this guit has the same capability!

Which guitar of yours did he do this to?

I just had Greg rewire one of my three pickup guitars so that all possible pickup combinations are there.  He replaced the five way switch with a three way, and replaced the tone pot with a push-push on-off pot, which controls the middle pickup.  With the push-push in the OFF position, you get the standard three-way switch choices - bridge, both, neck.  With the pot in the ON position, you get bridge + middle, all three, and neck+ middle.  Works great.

Perhaps there's a push/pull in there somewhere and this guit has the same capability!

Which guitar of yours did he do this to?

See above. Will Hamer do that for you?

See above. Will Hamer do that for you?

Oh wow. Very cool guitar!

Doubtful Hamer would do that for you. I'm just saying that such a mod wouldn't be visible just by looking at the guitar's top.

See above.  Will Hamer do that for you?

Oh wow. Very cool guitar!

Doubtful Hamer would do that for you. I'm just saying that such a mod wouldn't be visible just by looking at the guitar's top.

I'd assume that it's gotta be a dealer mod, but I don't know if Willcutt does that kind of work. I have no idea why manufacturers don't do this kind of thing for their stock models, as it opens up the tonal options for the guitar immensely.

Wasn't there a 3-P90 Standard that used the switching you're describing (ie. regular 3 way with push pull for middle pickup)? Anyway, I prefer a 5 way blade with a push-pull (or, better yet, miniswitch) as a bridge-always-on switch myself. That way I don't have to readjust my thinking too much to get all the combinations.

-Austin

Guest galejt
That new Studio just has too much chrome in the middle.  Reminds me of this:

Which leads me to my next question: why doesn't SD offer black and creme pickup covers for their Phat Cats?

So blind people can hate them too! :D I kill myself! ;)

Seriously, because Harmonic Design offers that, as does Rio Grande.

My friend (same guy w/ the holoflake PRS) had a Salmon blush quilt-top Studio Custom, built for namm and played there by Gary Hoey. I coulda had it for $800 about 10 years ago, stupid-stupid-stupid...

I think he feels worse for selling it than I do for not buying it from him.

Wasn't there a 3-P90 Standard that used the switching you're describing (ie. regular 3 way with push pull for middle pickup)? Anyway, I prefer a 5 way blade with a push-pull (or, better yet, miniswitch) as a bridge-always-on switch myself. That way I don't have to readjust my thinking too much to get all the combinations.

To answer the question Yes there is a 3-p90 standard but the wiring is three way switch vol for neck and bridge, master tone and vol for middle pickup only. Hamer was willing to put a push pull pot in the guitar but said it wouldn't be up to their standards. The current wiring was what they suggested. It works well and gets some amazing tones.

To answer the question Yes there is a 3-p90 standard but the wiring is three way switch vol for neck and bridge, master tone and vol for middle pickup only. Hamer was willing to put a push pull pot in the guitar but said it wouldn't be up to their standards. The current wiring was what they suggested. It works well and gets some amazing tones.

So the middle pickup is always 'on' and is brought in and out of the mix with the volume control?

So the middle pickup is always 'on' and is brought in and out of the mix with the volume control?

Not quite how I thought of it but essentially yes. The nice thing is that you can blend in the amount of middle pickup you want depending on where you set the vloume knob. The only drawback is that you can't do a toggle switch stutter.

The only drawback is that you can't do a toggle switch stutter.

I call that a GOOD thing. Serial's got the market cornered on that trick LOL!

It's his ONLY weapon, that loser.

The only drawback is that you can't do a toggle switch stutter.

I call that a GOOD thing. Serial's got the market cornered on that trick LOL!

It's his ONLY weapon, that loser.

My chief weapon is surprise. Fear and surprise.

spanishinquisition.jpg

Archived