Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New Info on '78 Sunburst/Dan Armstrong

I'm just gonna politely duck from this whole abortion. I happened to walk into a music store and witness 1st hand a really cool rare Hamer (just for the doubters, It is real). Shared a few Hamer stories and some info with someone who got lucky (even offered a ridiculously low sum) but now this is just getting way out there. I see a few things at work here.......Hype........Gullability......Greed.......Ebay inexperience........and just all-out weirdness (Actually,in that order). Theres no way that guitar is worth $8000, I dont care how cool it is. Actually makes me appreciate my '81 Zebra Special and my '92 Sunburst custom a whole hell of a lot more (paid under a grand, both of them together!)......SHEESH!!!!! LOL!!!!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure, but when I talked to stevemec he mentioned to me that besides being an ebay mogul he was also currently working on a book tentatively titled "How to make friends and influence people"............. Think it's gonna cost about $15.00..........no, $20.00.........wait, $30.00..

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but can any of you HONESTLY say you wouldn't sell a '59 Les Paul for 4x what you paid for it if you got it for $30k?

10 times what you paid for it if you got it for $15k?

20 times what you paid for it if you scored it for $7,500?

Of COURSE, somebody was F'ing with him. 

It is a really rare Hamer, but I really can't see it selling for that price - not in that condition, anyway.

I've heard that 4-digit Standards are moving in the $4000-5000 range recently, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a really rare '1 of 3' early Sunburst move in that range (especially when the other 2 are celeb-owned or off the market). Considering how quickly it got to $3K with time left in the auction, I'd guess the market had a good idea what it was worth. That would be the crown jewel of just about anybody's Hamer collection due to the rareness and the 'it ain t EVER gonna happen again' factor IMHO.

Here's an easy solution for him - ask the person who claimed they would have gone to $8K to actually 'put up, or shut up'. Otherwise, it's just somebody blowing smoke up your arse...

Still a cool guitar, though. Welcome to the HFC lol.

I have decided that this Darkburst( a rare color) is worth $6000, instead of the measly $1199 that I WAS asking for it.

80SunburstDK.jpg

Might as well go for the bucks, since that's the theme here.

I was fortunate in not having gotten "emotionally" involved - group hug and all. Look he says he got an offer for 8K+ on that hunk-o-history. If it's in the collector's realm now (thx to all your sagely advice and conspicuous interest) - fair's fair. There's no accounting for taste dude. People have paid a whole lot more for bread crumbs shaped like the Holy Virgin Mary.

If someone offered him $8k and he didn't jump, he's out of his gourd.

Guest pirateflynn
Steve(Sit50),

Thanks for the assessment of my moral character. I really appreciate it, "friend".

I think you're missing the point. Chances are a buyer that is truly interested in that guitar and has the funds to back it up is here at this board, although some prefer to remain discrete. If they do not belong to this board then they do consult with certain knowledgable members of this board when making big dollars purchases. Your actions have caused you to loose credibility......not your pricing.

Who's gonna buy an old Hamer with a funny headstock if not one of us?

In the meantime, people on ebay have seen you pull your auction while there were legitimate bids only to re-list it at a higher opening price. Bad form.

Your item will soon be market worn and the potential price will suffer.

Guest pirateflynn
I have decided that this Darkburst( a rare color) is worth $6000, instead of the measly $1199 that I WAS asking for it.

80SunburstDK.jpg

Nice top and finish.....

post-4-1154450176_thumb.jpg

This happened once before with a seller who popped in almost in the identical manner with a "what is it that I have" and "not really looking to sell" on an old Hamer Prototype prototype (of which there were several, but this one had some unique features). Auction was pulled despite bids over $3k and relisted at a lot more. No one bid anywhere close to the original number from the first auction and successive listings showed little or no interest, since by that point, pretty much everyone who would have been interested, tired of dealing with the seller. There are four maybe five top Hamer collectors who would pay decent money for a rare Hamer, but they are not fools and know the market, and the guitars, extremely well. The Prototype proto ended up on eBay again about 8-12 months later with the same seller at a much lower (IIRC, around $3500) price, but again, didn't get any love. I believe it was eventually sold about a year and a half after its first appearance to an HFCer, but for a lot less than the seller decided it was worth after pulling the first auction.

Pretty much ANYONE who knows anything about rare Hamers is here regularly or at least stops by from time to time. For all of the "$350.00" jokes here, the rest of the guitar world out there likely isnt' going to come close to dropping the same $$ that some people here will on a cool old Hamer.

Forget the $8000, $50 for shipping?! I'm off to Snukst's for some downhome hospitality.

80SunburstDK.jpg

How "rare" is this color? I love it. Just wondering how many are out there. I will be looking for another Hamer in the near future. I suppose looking for a beat up player in the $600-900 range would be hopeless?

Thanks

~Chris

with a bit of watching, you may find a decent "player" in the mid to upper range of that scale... dot neck for sure.

VERY VERY nice looking guitar.

too bad about the added toggle,

I think this one was recently offered to me.?..

regardless, it appears to be extremely clean, I am quite sure it would please even the most picky player/collector. :P

I believe serial has seen this one up close and personal like, maybe he could share some details with you.

Yup. I saw that one yesterday in person. It is a very unique and beautiful finish. Pretty clean too. The toggle wouldn't bother me much either on that one.

It , this thread and finally the Rockpile video inspired me to bring out my '79 Sunburst last night. Oooh, that's a good one.

I was flipping through the channels last night and happened upon vh1 playing the very first day of mtv videos.

robert plant was sitting in with rockpile during the music for the people of kampuchea show..

little sisiter was the song... I still get a kick out of plant screwing up at the end...

anyway billy b. was playing his old armstrong headstocked sunburst ....

made me think of this one....

but not $8k thinking....

pretty unreal how young dave edmunds and some of the other players of the day looked not just in that particular video.... guess time flies pretty fast...

If someone offered him $8k and he didn't jump, he's out of his gourd.

Reminds me of the time I was hanging out with a buddy of mine in his booth at an Arlington Guitar Show. The morning of the show this kid walks up with some oddball FX pedal and asks us if we want to buy it. My friend is really into weird stuff and will pay more than what something is worth if he really wants it and offers the kid $75 for his pedal (which was maybe worth $50). The kid declines his offer and walks away. An hour or so later the kid comes by again and my friend offers him $100 and is again declined. My friend says to me "no matter how much I offer him, he now thinks that pedal is worth a lot more". A while later the kid comes by again and my friend offers him $150 - again declined. We've also told a friend with a booth down the row from us to flip out when the kid walks by with the pedal and beg to purchase it. The kid ends up spending the entire day at the show trying to sell his pedal which he is now convinced is worth at least four times its actual value. At the end of the day he comes back to our booth and says "OK, I'll take $200 for it". We declined.

Guest galejt

Wait, weight, waite!!!

I will accept $1,793.42 for this guitar. Shipping will be $47.31. Simply talking to me on the phone will cost you $1.00 per minute. If I have to endure your inane emails more than once a surcharge of $49.43 will be applied pro-rated to the 2nd of December 2011 and I want to sleep with your wife.

Firm! No trades, tirades or meat helmets.

post-4-1154690512_thumb.jpg

Archived