Hamer Fan Club Message Center

dirt cheap amp, Peavey Classic 212 VT

A few weeks back I bought an old Peavey Classic 212 VT amp. One Speaker was blown & the tubes in it, I think had never been changed. I put a NOS Jensen MOD speaker in it & a set of tubes I had in a Fender amp that I used to own. I now have about $100 in it. I am offering it up for sale for that $135 shipped lower 48 USA.

The amp works good. It has a built in Phaser & Reverb. I would be a great amp of a younger/new player. For its size the weight is not bad. Tolex is in decent shape, it has one repir spot on the top other wise it is in good shape.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/bruce919/peavey2.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/bruce919/peavey3.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b189/bruce919/peavey1.jpg

50 watts

2x12 speaker config.

basicly a two channel amp but you can only plug into one channel at a time, if you got a switcher pedal you could use both channel one clean & one dirty.

tess at cqc.com

My younger brother has one of these, probably from the same era (early to mid 80's) when the amps included an onboard phaser. He gigs with my cover band now, and I'm amazed at the tone he's getting. I never realized how good these amps sound.

Of course back in the 80's when I owned the amp he plays through now, I was just cranking the gain up to 10 thinking I'd get the best sustain and crunch that way, and playing at bedroom, or at most rehearsal basement volumes. Good tube amps really sound their best at gig volume, with moderate gain.

Oh, and at the last gig we played, an outdoor event, we were getting 160VAC on the line for some reason. We didn't discover this of course until our bass player turned his amp on and it began to smoke. My brother's Peavey Classic just blew a fuse. We replaced the fuse, the people hosting the event got the voltage problem straightened out, and my brother was in business. Our bass player had to plug direct into the PA and I don't know if he'll need to buy a new bass amp or not.

Circuit protection is a good thing.

At $100, if you need a dependable, good sounding amp, this is a no brainer.

Stupid trivia for the shred heads: I distinctly remember reading an article with Tony MacAlpine waaaaay back around the time he recorded his "Maxmum Security" solo album where he said he recorded it with one of those Peavey VT 2x12s and a bunch of stompboxes.

I actually had one as my first "nice amp" for about a month back when I started playing. I returned to the "owner" when he divulged it was stolen (!) but while I had it it did the trick with the old black Boss Heavy Metal pedal out front.

That's the amp I got senior year in high school. It was actually a very good amplifier. Loved the built-in phaser and it had a nice reverb, so it was all-day VanHalen fests.

Only one fuse.

Nice amps. I have a Heritage VTX (130W version of same).

The VTs have a weirdo TI chip (replaced in the VTX series) that handles channel switching and reverb. It's way out of production, and apparently it fails easily. Peavey has a retrofit that is a chip-on-a-chip adaptor. Looks really ghetto but works great and is cheap. IMO Peavey is the king of customer and parts support.

I had a vt and a vtx. I'm not sure if they both had it or not but I remember at least one of them having the pull-out lock on the phase shifter control so you could stop the sweep at any particular point and then work it manually with the knob. Not that I really used it much but it was fun to play with. They had SS pre's with 6L6gc power tube sections so if you got your sound from pedals anyway it made a good power amplifier. I'd be interested in hearing one again so I could hear how good or bad it sounds to me now.

Yep...I too had one back in the day and I thought it was the shiznitz back then!! Even if the tubes were glowing all blue......Which I thought was really cool but heck! What did I know??...I sometimes wished I was still ignorant of such things as it seemed such a simpler time back then...Come on...ya'll remember...Hooking up as many speakers or speaker cabinets to one poor amp and it sounded great!!! all the way up until it went "Poof".....hehe :lol:

Nice amps. I have a Heritage VTX (130W version of same).

The VTs have a weirdo TI chip (replaced in the VTX series) that handles channel switching and reverb. It's way out of production, and apparently it fails easily. Peavey has a retrofit that is a chip-on-a-chip adaptor. Looks really ghetto but works great and is cheap. IMO Peavey is the king of customer and parts support.

I had the 130 VTX back in the 80`s also. It was loud and had a ton of knobs. The distortion wasn`t a ton, but it sounded very good!! Throw a Boss MT-2 in front and rock on :-) Jack.

Hooking up as many speakers or speaker cabinets to one poor amp and it sounded great!!!    all the way up until it went "Poof".....hehe  :lol:

oh yeah! in high school ~85 i blew up a sound city 50w head w/ a tom scholtz power soak & a cab w/ mismatched spkrs!!

replaced it w/ a old school black w/ chrome rails peavey classic 4x10 combo, i think it was also SS pre and 6L6 power.

My first real amp was a Peavey VTX 2x12 50 watter with two scorpian speakers. Tube pwr amp solid state preamp. I loved that amp, the secret to getting a distorted sound with a lot of low end was to turn on the phaser but put both the depth and rate on zero. I jammed with a guy with two Marshall plexi halfstacks and he couldn't believe the distortion I was getting out of that "Peavey country amp", he had to use a tube screamer or boss distortion pedal to get the same type of distortion from his Marshall...I stupidly traded it for a Crate 160 wat head that was nowhere as loud as the Peavey. If I lived near you, I'd gladly give you a C note for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived