Hamer Fan Club Message Center

hamer usa humbuckers

hi everyone

i am new to this board just joined from uk,have been a hamer fan since i first saw martin barre play a 78 sunburst with tull all those years ago.

fantastic guitars ive got a 94 mirage and soon a 97 studio

anyway can anyone tel me anything about apickup ive just aquired its black humbucker with hamer usa on its base looks very like a dimarzio reads 10.6kohm (strange reading normally 8k or 16k).?

what guitar is it off?

what sound is to be expected?

i am thinking of putting it on the hamer studio ive just bought ,i.e.replacing the jb bridge p.u.(too powerful and honky for me)

many thanks

steve

Welcome, Steve.

That's an 80s Hamer "Slammer" (special wind by DiMarzio). That was stock in most of the USA-made PRODUCTION guitars in the 80s until they switched over to Duncans late in the decade.

I am pretty sure your pick ups are made by Dimarzio with Hamer spec's. Should sound close to a Gibson PAF. If I am wrong, somebody on this list will straighten you out. Welcome aboard guvn'er.

The double black Hamer stamped Dimarzio PAF "Slammer" pickups debuted in 1982 and seem to have gotten progressively hotter as the decade got more shredified.

The double black Hamer stamped Dimarzio PAF "Slammer" pickups debuted in 1982 and seem to have gotten progressively hotter as the decade got more shredified.

Great pickups. I love 'em!

Those pickups are still in both my Steve Stevens 1 and Chaparral Sustainiac guitars. While I like them in the SS 1, I don't find them that great in the Chap

I have / had Hamer Slammer pickups in my Chaparral Standard with Sustainiac-PU.

I was never really content with these pickups. The single-coils are acceptable (clear sound with less noise) but not more. The humbucker is definitely not good!!!

I exchanged it by a Seymour Duncan TB-6 and I must say that this pickup sounds much more better.

Archived