Hamer Fan Club Message Center

WTB: Lab Series L5

I may be interested, if anybody wants to sell one. Also looking for opinions as to what the amp can sound like. I know they are solid state. I tried one back in '79, and thought it was neat, but have not played one since. Although Ty Tybor, and I share the same birth day (and year), I am not looking to sound like him. This is purely a nostalgic interest thang.

Danke

I think BB King bought 'em all up!

I haven't seen one of those in YEARS. I remember looking at those in the late '70s/early '80s as well.

I owned a 4x10 Lab Series combo back in the day (81/82 I think). Good luck on your quest, nostalgia is a beautiful thing...

There are 3 on Gbase, ranging from high 3's to low 4's.

I don't have one for sale, but I owned an L5 from 1979 until about 5 years ago, though it was only my main guitar amp until 1984. Very reliable amp! Other than ripping the handle off and having to replace the power cord that thing took all kinds of abuse and just kept going.

Tone-wise it's really its own thing. The distortion isn't tube-like but it isn't the usual 70's solid state grind either. Nice loud clean sound. The compressor also has a distinctive sound to it. Great for getting that late 70's Loggins & Messina snap to the guitar.

-Jonathan

I may be interested, if anybody wants to sell one. Also looking for opinions as to what the amp can sound like. I know they are solid state. I tried one back in '79, and thought it was neat, but have not played one since. Although Ty Tybor, and I share the same birth day (and year), I am not looking to sound like him. This is purely a nostalgic interest thang.

Danke

I've had THREE L5s (2x12) over the years. First one was stolen at a gig...Second one my guitarist bought from me because HIS also got stolen. We were in the studio doing an album at the time and he just could not get the same sound from another amp. Third one I sold on EBAY last year because I opted for a more compact GK2100CEL as a throw-in-the-car-and-go solid state amp. The LAB is not as harsh/brittle as a GK and has GREAT built-in Compressor and parameteric/sweepable EQ/great Mid control; decent spring reverb. One thing...had to replace the original speakers in ALL of the L5 LABs, probably because it is SO loud...a bit heavy for a 2x12 combo. Put Fane Classics in my original one and it really kicked ass...but weighed even more. The original pre Gibson ones that all mine were, were Moog/Norlin made in Buffalo NY...I stayed away from the later Gibson ones. I figure that since two out of three got stolen, they MUST be in demand :) Outside of the original speakers blowing, never had a single breakdown with any of the LAB 5's. One complaint is that you cannot fottswitch between the clean and overdrive channels, otherwise a decent design considering it is almost 30 years old.

I think BB King bought 'em all up!

I haven't seen one of those in YEARS. I remember looking at those in the late '70s/early '80s as well.

According to my BBKing instructional tapes, he states that he indeed bought the remaining inventory ('half a dozen')of those amps and has been rotating them in/out of his stable for his never-ending tours.

fancy-pants...you ever gonna buy matthew sweet's former korina vector or what?!

i've got a copy of the new cars (audio only) gig in socal from this summer; want it?

:)

everyonce in a while youll find one on evilbay.... usually beat to phuk... BUT you can pick up most lab series for pretty inexpensive... i love lab series... but then my opinions dont count on here... grab what ya can while ya can... just be paitent one may turn up eventually... if not the 5 maybe a head..

Randy :)

Archived