Hamer Fan Club Message Center

long term guitar storage

I need some advice. I am going to store several Hamer guitars and basses (one is a B8) for about 2 years. How should I go about this? Loosen strings, vertical/horizontal etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did I already reply to this on the old forum? Well, here's what I do (and if any of this is wrong somebody please correct me! I may have been lucky so far but I don't want something to sneak up and bite me in the ass!). Horizontal/vertical doesn't really matter, as long as you're not stacking something on top of it. A lot of cases aren't really all that supportive and putting weight on the case may stress neckjoint, headstock, etc. Slack the strings, put a thick rag/cardboard/bubblewrap inbetween them and the fretboard. Throw a silica gel packet in the little pocket of the case or whatever and you're done.

I go out for Navy deployments regularly and my guitars (the couple that weren't stolen) were waiting for me when I got back after 7 months.

I hope this helps.

I had my '59 Les Paul bronzed, and the neck hasn't warped at all.

Looks great, too.

Mike

Now seriously.....

Keep it in a place that's not too hot or cold, and leave the strings on. Otherwise the neck may do strange things without string tension.

Change the strings when you get home..

Mike

Archived