Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Wiring schematic, PLEASE!

stevemec

How is that one different from the old ones (other than possibly conductor wire)?

How is that one different from the old ones (other than possibly conductor wire)?

Just want to make sure the wiring in my '78 Sunburst is original and hasn't been f**ked with. It doesn't look quite the same in it's setup as the schematic for the archtop on the HFC site. Is it possible to maybe get a photo of the inside of the cavity from someone who owns an actual '78 Flattop? Thanks!

They're not PAFs and aren't original-I'm not sure WHAT Dimarzios they are. From the back, they look like SuperDs, but they don't have the hex poles on the front. The one with braided wire is an early-79 or earlier DiMarzio. They went to plastic wrapped leads after that (also the polepieces look beveled like the earlier ones up to '82 or so). Still a cool guitar. Greg's right on the wire pressing on the selector-I had that with an '82 Sunburst-when selecting the bridge pickup, it kept popping out of position back to the middle. I screwed it in, tightened everything, etc. The lead on the (non-orig) bridge pickup was pushing against the toggle on top (the bridge position). Boom-problem solved, but it was a bugger to figure it out since I was thinking it was something directly wrong with the switch-a real "Duh!" moment.

i have a great picture of the control cavity of my hamer special

...but it is a 1980 special, not a 1978 sunburst

Thanks, acb, for the photo. I'm still not sure if my wiring is kosher, so I'm going to try to put up some pics of the cavity in my 'burst and see what you guys think. Thanks again for the input.

P.S. Both pups have the braided, silver master wire coming from them, into the cavity, for hook-up. There is also a bare copper wire cinched around the braided wires, after they both enter the cavity. The copper wire twist-ties them together so that they're touching each other, and then it looks like the copper grounds to the first (closest to entry hole) volume pot. Whatter ya figger?

thanks greg & serial. i sent pics to dimarzio techs and asked them about the pups when i was cleaning them. their response was a pair of double cremes was not unusual - when supply ran short hamer dropped in what they had remaining in inventory or next-best whatever they could get their hands on to keep production on schedule.

They're not PAFs and aren't original-I'm not sure WHAT Dimarzios they are. From the back, they look like SuperDs, but they don't have the hex poles on the front. The one with braided wire is an early-79 or earlier DiMarzio. They went to plastic wrapped leads after that (also the polepieces look beveled like the earlier ones up to '82 or so). Still a cool guitar. Greg's right on the wire pressing on the selector-I had that with an '82 Sunburst-when selecting the bridge pickup, it kept popping out of position back to the middle. I screwed it in, tightened everything, etc. The lead on the (non-orig) bridge pickup was pushing against the toggle on top (the bridge position). Boom-problem solved, but it was a bugger to figure it out since I was thinking it was something directly wrong with the switch-a real "Duh!" moment.

Serial,

Would the pups in the '78 Sunburst both have the braided wire?

i have a great picture of the control cavity of my hamer special

...but it is a 1980 special, not a 1978 sunburst

Thanks, acb, for the photo. I'm still not sure if my wiring is kosher, so I'm going to try to put up some pics of the cavity in my 'burst and see what you guys think. Thanks again for the input.

P.S. Both pups have the braided, silver master wire coming from them, into the cavity, for hook-up. There is also a bare copper wire cinched around the braided wires, after they both enter the cavity. The copper wire twist-ties them together so that they're touching each other, and then it looks like the copper grounds to the first (closest to entry hole) volume pot. Whatter ya figger?

Please consider the above quote my most recent post!

They should. The braided wire changed to black or grey wrapped leads (w/a separate ground wire) in early/mid 1979.

Archived