Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Saw Zakk Label Society last night

Stike

I guess first I should preface this with while I think Zakk is a smokin' picker I'm not a huge BLS fan and only own one album, 1919 Eternal which according to my 2 buds I was at the show with (they are big BLS fans) that 1919 is the weakest link in the BLS catalog. So.......

First seeing as I had a 90 minute drive there and back the unheard of doors at 6:00, opener at 7:00 and headliner on at 8:30 was NICE! I'm going to see Southern Culture On The Skids tonight and I'll be lucky if they get on by 11:30. Had planned on stopping in on Brooks acoustic duo gig on the way home but it was a little to far off the interstate and woulda put me home alot later than I would have wanted. Sorry dude.

Second-Twenty bucks and only a very small processing charge from Etix unlike the ten a ticket Ticketbastard stuck me with for the Dora's Backpack Adventure I gotta take the kids to tomorrow.

Third-it was outside which was a nice surprise. The venue is small(The old Baity's Music Garden, memories for the Matthes boys) so they set up a stage in the parking lot. Since it was in Winston Salem which probablly has more smokers per capita than anywhere on earth I didn't get home as stinky as I would have at an indoor show.

So the stage lights go black and Patsy Cline's "Crazy" comes throught the PA which goes into The Godfather music. Fire up the sirens and firetruck lights and Zakk hits the stage with the Rhoads V and promptly starts rippin' it up. Lotsa chugga chugga, lots squealing false harmonics, and lots of Zakk facing the drummer and spitting beer in the air. About 2/3's into the show he sits down on the drum riser with a nylon string and stars noodling while they road crew set up a table onstage and proceed to do shots and play cards. That kinda lost me but what ever. Any way during this he did a little Spanish Fly, some country type shredding, Mama I'm Coming Home and a cool little classical style condensed version of Diary Of A Madman. Back to the electric stuff for a little while and then time for everyone to go home. He didn't have a lot to say between songs save fore a few Steven Wright esque"Thank You"s. He did take a little time for a tribute to Dime which while heartfelt and emotional kind of derailed when he switched from that to the mayhem that would ensue after the show which inlvoved "sticking my tounge in my wife's ass......and if I'm lucky I'll stick my big Mc cock in there too." Like school during Thanksgiving vacation, no class turkey. Anyway his band was tight. had James Lomonzo(ex White Lion, Pride N' Glory) playing bass. From our vantage point James kinda looked like Fabio's head attached to Derek Smalls body, the I Cant Believe It's Not Butter Jazz Oddesey anyone? The drummer was really good although we wondered how much action his 5 foot gong was gonna see, one good whack after Zakk introduced him. In my mind I could hear Chuck Barris ask "Craig, why'd you go and gong Zakk?" Had a second guitarist who didn't play any leads but chugged and squeled just like Zakk.

I think I might be losing my taste for metal a little bit but all in all a good show, I don't think I need to hear a low E string pinch harmonic for a LONG time however LOL. Seems like folks are divided on his vocals, I'm not wild about 'em but hey it's just my opinion. I think I prefer Zakk as a sideman/band member than the boss but you can't argue with his pickin'. Got more chops than a Benihana.

Excellent and entertaining revue-almost felt like I was there. Man, my shirt now actually smells like I just smoked a pack!

I like Zak's playing and even though I haven't (and likely won't) own anything Ozzy has done since Diary of a Madman, I'll usually listen to those Zak tunes on the radio just to hear him play some cool stuff.

Baity's was the last place I saw the Producers-to meld two threads...

Two Future Classic lines:

"Like school during Thanksgiving vacation, no class turkey."

and

"...the I Cant Believe It's Not Butter Jazz Oddesey."

You made me spit water - twice!

Ah's be tinkin a goin seez him Tooesday night at House of Blues.

I'm already to go back to NOLA. If I had loads o' cash( and no kids ) I'd have a mack pad in the quarter.

AHAHA!!!! Great review Stikester. I'm checkin' his show out next thurs.

The best tune on his new CD imo is the bonus track..cover of Skynyrds' "I Never Dreamed". He did a great job with that but I'm not into the disc too much at all. I bought it, listened to it a couple times..only really grooved on the cover tune, burned that one song on a compilation disc and shelved the CD.

Two Future Classic lines:

"Like school during Thanksgiving vacation, no class turkey."

and

"...the I Cant Believe It's Not Butter Jazz Oddesey."

You made me spit water - twice!

Just trying to fill a small part of the big comedy hole left by senor Rechts. Wanna here about the drunk asshole I predicted would puke within 20 minutes and did?

I'm already to go back to NOLA. If I had loads o' cash( and no kids ) I'd have a mack pad in the quarter.

When it happens, you gotta me to offset the bills - cheap ass occasional roommate, packin' the cheap beer, homebrew skillet-fried chicken (learned from the pros on Decatur) and some tips for the lap dancers on Bourbon.

I learned in college they have a slot that takes quarters.

Got tix to see Zakk & crew in Tulsa @ the Cain's next Saturday. Should I wear my raincoat?

Saw Motley Crue 2 days ago @ the Ford Center in OKC. That was a pretty good show. Despite the rumor of Mick Mars being on death's legs, he actually looked pretty good. A little on the too thin side, but he did move around all nite and looked like he was having a great time.

Zakk's wife is very cool, and drop-dead gorgeous.

I'll never forget when she ran her fingers through my hair.

From her perspective, I'm sure she thought she was just washing my hair before I got it cut, but I knew better. I knew she was ready to drop the whole international rock star thing for yours truly.

That was about ten years ago. Good thing I'm a patient guy. I'll keep you posted. :P

"Got more chops than a Benihana. "

a-haha!! classic. i wanted to go see zakk, bet it was fun. saw him (w/ pride & glory) mop up the stage w/ skynyrd lite & what was really mick ralphs and a bad company tribute.

Archived