Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Saw Tommy Emmaunel play...WOW!!

I was waiting for April 13th to come around for what seemed like forever...my first chance to see T.E. play..in Waco,TX. So, the day comes and I go to the website to download directions and see a notice that the morning after the show he was doing a free clinic at the college! YESSSSSSSSSSS! (hadda get a room at a NO star motel in Waco..classy place I stayed at lemme tell ya). Anyway, the show was unbelievable. If anyone here EVER gets an opportunity to see this guy..DO IT! I gotta say this guy is the best guitar player alive today. There's no doubt about it. He played alotta my favorite tunes and more..also did his 'drum solo on guitar' which was friggin' amazing. I was able to meet him quickly before the show..SUPER nice guy, no pretense at all. No problem getting a pic taken with him, etc. I had chill bumps the entire show. (did I mention he's a solo acoustic performer?)..anyway, I'm rambling here but the clinic the next morning was even more unbelievable. Sat right in fronta him while he played the rest of some of my favorite tunes of his and spoke about music and life in general. This guy is not only a guitar master but a zen master as well. What a trip. Brutally honest cat, told stories of what some of his instrumentals were about and the state of mind he was in at the time...he had no problem sharing!ha That was a couple days I'll never forget 'fo sho. I know alotta folks on this board have seen him and I wish I had a long time ago. All I can say is WOW! I've never been that moved by a guitar player in my life and I like to think I've seen some of the greats. Oh yeah...he played his Australian-made Maton acoustics thru a 60watt solid-state AER small cube amp, and a Alesis MiniVerb that he "bought off e-bay for $50". He said his mom had yellow fever when she was pregnant with him so when he was born the disease had already burned his hearing out. Amazing. He had so much good advice and info to share with no hesitation. It's completely crazy that he's not a household name in the states. Again, check this guy out if you get the chance. You WILL NOT be disappointed!

tommy.jpg

Glad you got to see him. He is beyond incredible!

I was lucky enough to have lunch with him a few years back. He is as great a person as he is a guitarist/musician. He told me the story of the recording of "The Day The Fingerpickers Took Over The World". I'll never forget that particular day...

Glad you got to see him. He is beyond incredible!

Beyond incredible is right! It's a humbling experience watching him play...makes ya (me) realize what a crappy player I am! Also makes me realize what a better player I could be by incorporating some of his techniques. I say "some of his techniques" because trying to be the player he is IS IMPOSSIBLE!haha

He plays drums too you know. He started playing at a young age with his family band, touring around Australia. He has played with many bands in Australia, and countless sessions.I saw him once at a pub gig in the '80's, he had a band with his brother Phil, called the Emmanual Brothers Wiz Band. They did a lot of covers, I think Doobies, Steely Dan from memory. They used to do a trick similar to the Vaughan brothers, but I think one of them would be picking, the other fretting, all on the one guitar. Great stuff.

Archived