Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My Rick Nielsen Futura

Hello!

I recently acquired #18 Korina of the Hamer Rick Nielsen Futura series.

I have scoured GOOGLE for information, copy sheets for a manual, any sort of paperwork announcing this guitar... What years they were made? Where? How cool are they to have? Anything!

I also have one that I bought from someone who works at Hamer.

It was sold to me with the original signed pickguard for the series and came in a the checkerboard case even though it was an import model Futura... darker wood than the one I just bought.

Can anyone let their brains spill out with information that I can print up and keep with the guitars?

I'll have to get any information you might need on the import one I have from the fella who works for Hamer.

Would you all like pictures of these two awesome guitars put up so you can see what I have?

I'll take pictures tonight probably.. God they're gorgeous and with me doing a Cheap Trick tribute soon they came at the right time! hahahaa

You can contact me by direct email as well...

Thanks, Happy Holidays and God Bless!

Michael - [email protected]

Welcome to the board!

They are incredibly cool, although that body style is definitely an acquired taste. I HATED that before I played one, and they are actually among the best balanced and nicely resonant of the Korina solidbodies. They were slotted for a full run of 100, but as I recall, they only completed a few dozen. Several board members have/have had multiples of that model (Kilroy/Hamerica), so they definitely "get it".

The Nielsen sigs (Korina USA models) were only made for one year and are getting tougher to find. I have never played a bad one. The MIK ones are a lot more plentiful and run the gamut from 30lb bricks to decently made, nice playing guitars. Definitely a hit-or-miss based on what I've actually seen and played.

The checkerboard cases are also a very cool thing. I've got one that was RN's for the protoype of the model and a very special instrument will be going in there, hopefully soon.

The USA Nielsen models had a certificate of authenticity that came with them.

The first number in the serial number of your USA Hamer is the last digit in the year it was made. The Nielsens were made in the late 90's.

I think all of the USA Nielsens have been made in Connecticut.

There were some Rick Nielsen Standards (not the Futura style) that were made for the Japanese market, too. If you are going to collect all varieties of Rick's Hamers, those will be harder to find.

Welcome to the board!

They are incredibly cool, although that body style is definitely an acquired taste. I HATED that before I played one, and they are actually among the best balanced and nicely resonant of the Korina solidbodies. They were slotted for a full run of 100, but as I recall, they only completed a few dozen. Several board members have/have had multiples of that model (Kilroy/Hamerica), so they definitely "get it".

The Nielsen sigs (Korina USA models) were only made for one year and are getting tougher to find. I have never played a bad one. The MIK ones are a lot more plentiful and run the gamut from 30lb bricks to decently made, nice playing guitars. Definitely a hit-or-miss based on what I've actually seen and played.

The checkerboard cases are also a very cool thing. I've got one that was RN's for the protoype of the model and a very special instrument will be going in there, hopefully soon.

The body style suits me FINE.. hahaa! I LOVE the modernistic body styles.

I have a late 70s made Moderne (korina) that had me going so bad that I got the masterminds of Gibson together at one point to meet me in Ohio at StewMac for an "alien autopsy" hahaa! That was SO fun, but ended up being just one hell of a Gibson Moderne replica! I love it dearly, I bet Rick and the Good Rev. Billy Gibbons would too... Tom Murphy made an offer of 10k at the time although he knew it was a keeper for me.

I also have one of the 75' Ibanez Modernes (Futuras) that's beat to hell but is a great player.. and a Rocket Roll... that's mint. That's the Gibson Flying V copy.

In fact I sold 2 Epiphone Modernes and a Burns Baldwin Jazz Splitsound to buy this #18. Did anyone see it on eBay by chance a few weeks ago? It was being offered for a BUY IT NOW of 3600.00 but the seller gave me a great deal shipped.. and he was a celebrity to boot, so I'm happy that it was celebrity owned too.

Anyways.. I compared how the MIK model plays just now and even though it has it's own personality it plays very similar and it's the sort of axe that, especially live, you'd really be able to dig in to it!

Thanks for the welcome to the board by the way!

So between the two guitars I've laid out 3k.. albeit a lot of scratch for a po' musician such as myself I think that was good entry level, no? yes?

I'd LOVE a Rick Standard I'm sure as well.. maybe I'll luck into one later?

I've worked with many rock bands through the years.. working with Twisted Sister again next week... and I've had the honor of a CT show in Hartford CT during I believe the WUWAM tour to be with the road crew afterwards and I got pics around here somewhere with me and all the CT guitars, basses, Hiwatts, etc. I was in shock how laid back the scene was and don't think the thought of walking out with Uncle Dick didn't cross my mind! I was plotting multiple trips actually BUT then I wouldn't enjoy the CT shows as much, so I behaved myself. hahaa!

I'm also a BIG collector/player of the Ovation Deacons.. I have 2 12 strings that are to die for and about 5 of the six string models... yes.. I have a sickness! hahahaa And the Cheap Trick stuff sounds SO good with the Deacon 12s. I usually do local open mics and I'll do 3 obscure CT songs and 2 popular ones with the Deacon 12.. always goes over well with the crowd singing along at the end of the set.

Anyone else collect/play these guitars? They're so awesome!

Oh and besides those sicknesses I have I collect Brian May Red Specials too... CORT Matt Guitar Murphys... anything that I see Elvis Costello performing with... etc etc etc...

I'm a bit all over the place I guess? ahahhaa An eclectic performer/player so to speak!

At least I try to be....

Thanks, God Bless and Happy Holidays!

Michael

The USA Nielsen models had a certificate of authenticity that came with them.

The first number in the serial number of your USA Hamer is the last digit in the year it was made. The Nielsens were made in the late 90's.

I think all of the USA Nielsens have been made in Connecticut.

There were some Rick Nielsen Standards (not the Futura style) that were made for the Japanese market, too. If you are going to collect all varieties of Rick's Hamers, those will be harder to find.

Awww really? I have no COAs but I have a hang tag and Hamer catalogs.

Thanks for the serial number info.. is it the same system for the MIK Futura?

Yea, so if anyone wants to sell a Rick Standard please let me know okay!

I make the $$$ happen when I have to! hahahaa

Thanks, all the best, and definitely stay in touch!

Looking forward to more info, scans, pics.. anythint Cheap Trick - Rick Nielsen related please!

Michael

Welcome aboard! Email me or PM me and I'll get some stuff for ya related to what you're looking for. The Neilsen Futura (korina) was done in '99 in a run of 35 I believe-don't know if they actually completed the run-I haven't seen one numbered above the mid-twenties. I LOVE that shape in korina-near perfect balance.

Cool stuff!

I should have picked up a Neilson instead of the Larrive OM19 at this guitar shop in St. Louis a couple of years ago. Nice shop. I think they might have had two.

Oh, I had a Deacon 12 string. Very cool guitar. But, alas, I preferred my Japanese Strat XII and kept that one. I think I sold the Deacon 12 at www.ovationfanclub.com.

Michael,

Welcome to the Board. Congrats on the score. I personally tried to make that acquistion happen but I couldn't make it work for me. The seller was a very nice guy and glad to see him move it to someone that would take care of her.

The offical run was 36 guitars for the USA. However, Rick ordered at least 4 others for gifts. Bruce 919 had a couple of custom ordered ones made and there were a couple of others made that were past the limited edition stamped run. Not all of them came with the checkerboard cases but never the less cool. I have seen up to number 33 of the run.

The MIK's are all other the place. There have been 3-4 on ebay this past month. The price has come up from the stadard HFC offer to a little of 6 and change.

Good luck on the Rick sig on the headstock Standard. I have only seen one and I passed it up, cause I didn't know what it was - doh, doh, doh!!! I wouldn't mind adding one of those to my collection on day as well.

There are lots of great Hamers out there, sounds like you have just become a convert. Welcome!

David E. was that Acme Guitars? Nice shop if it is the one I am thinking of.

Hamerica

I should have picked up a Neilson instead of the Larrive OM19 at this guitar shop in St. Louis a couple of years ago. Nice shop. I think they might have had two.

Oh, I had a Deacon 12 string. Very cool guitar. But, alas, I preferred my Japanese Strat XII and kept that one. I think I sold the Deacon 12 at www.ovationfanclub.com.

Yea the Deacon 12s are incredible.

Wish I was watching the Ovation Fan Club messages when you sold yours!

I seek these guitars out like a madman, personally... it's hard to get them for less than 2k now!

But I keep hope to find a couple dozen more to "turn over" for more modernistic guitar funds! hahaa!

St Louis? Which guitar shop is that? I know there was a guitar shop called Willcutt's that had them for a while.. 2 years ago.. when I called them, they would take less than 3k for one then I believe.

Anyone who can SCAN the stuff I look for .. in color if possible... just email them to me....

Otherwise I have an excellent color scanner if you wish to FedEx the originals to me and I'll cover the costs to me and back to you!

Let me know, thanks!

Michael Joseph Kramer

2o3.913.8493 cell

David E. was that Acme Guitars? Nice shop if it is the one I am thinking of.

Hamerica

No, I think it was Guitar Trader?

Maybe I had a Preacher 12 string.....

Yea the Deacon 12s are incredible.

Wish I was watching the Ovation Fan Club messages when you sold yours!

I seek these guitars out like a madman, personally... it's hard to get them for less than 2k now!

But I keep hope to find a couple dozen more to "turn over" for more modernistic guitar funds! hahaa!

St Louis? Which guitar shop is that? I know there was a guitar shop called Willcutt's that had them for a while.. 2 years ago.. when I called them, they would take less than 3k for one then I believe.

Anyone who can SCAN the stuff I look for .. in color if possible... just email them to me....

Otherwise I have an excellent color scanner if you wish to FedEx the originals to me and I'll cover the costs to me and back to you!

Let me know, thanks!

Michael Joseph Kramer

2o3.913.8493 cell

• 3 months later...

You wrote: Email me or PM me and I'll get some stuff for ya related to what you're looking for.

I would appreciate anything you can copy or give me related to the guitar I have. I can cover expenses for color copies if you have original stuff you don't want to give from your collection. Even if you can scan at high quality and email the scans that would be fine too...

Thanks and God bless!

Michael Joseph Kramer

7365 Main Street Ste 208

Stratford, CT 06614-1300

203.463.9416 home

203.913.8493 cell/text

[email protected] Direct email

Welcome aboard! Email me or PM me and I'll get some stuff for ya related to what you're looking for. The Neilsen Futura (korina) was done in '99 in a run of 35 I believe-don't know if they actually completed the run-I haven't seen one numbered above the mid-twenties. I LOVE that shape in korina-near perfect balance.

Cool stuff!

You wrote: Email me or PM me and I'll get some stuff for ya related to what you're looking for.

I would appreciate anything you can copy or give me related to the guitar I have. I can cover expenses for color copies if you have original stuff you don't want to give from your collection. Even if you can scan at high quality and email the scans that would be fine too...

Sorry for the delay-your request got buried. I get a LOT of requests for info and often have a tough time keeping up with all of them between day job, teaching at night and my band (oh yeah, and there's a wife and kids in there too!). My scanner is not hooked up and I need to get a solid hour or three to scan stuff. I'll try to scan what I have for you asap, but it wouldn't be before this weekend at the earliest!

Archived