Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Favorite Guitar for PowerPop?

Guest hectorp

Nor would I want to be cured. Ever.

Pure pop confections with a bit of crunch. Bunches of bands like the icons above and lesser known groups such as Blue Ash, the Pezband, the Rubinoos, Bram Tchaikovsky, the Plimsouls, the Spongetones, Let's Active, the dbs, Tommy Keene, the Smithereens, Vance or Towers, Greg Kihn, Fools Face, Four Out of Five Doctors, Nick Lowe, the Sinceros, etc.

Check out soundbytes of current power pop bands at www.notlame.com.

And yeah, the Newport with Phatcats fits right in. The non-Hamer choices are the 12-string Rick and the Tele.

Popthinker

Power pop is a type of music that allows leftward leaning men with TDS (Testicular Deficiency Syndrome) the opportunity to go ON AN ON AND ON INCESSANTLY about how much they prefer "good songwriting" to actual guitar players.

Power pop is for people who listen to music with their ears, not their balls! The best power pop rocks hard and features great guitar work...it just doesn't go ON AND ON AND ON with mind numbing guitar wanking!

-Jonathan

Nope - I listen with my EARS as well as my head. There are a ton of killer Power Pop guitarists out there who move me more than 90% of the metal or blues players out there. That's my opinion, that's what I like, and I do not in any way suffer from Mike's "TDS", whatever that's supposed to mean.

I could give a crap if you like that style of music or not, but I'll be far more impressed with your opinions when you can play the "My Sharona" solo note for note. I mastered "Eruption" in high school. I STILL can't nail those Berton Averre parts the way he does it ;) .

Power pop is a type of music that allows leftward leaning men with TDS (Testicular Deficiency Syndrome) the opportunity to go ON AN ON AND ON INCESSANTLY about how much they prefer "good songwriting" to actual guitar players.

Dood! Leftward-leaning most certainly doesn't describe me!

Sometimes I wonder about the TDS, though... ;)

Berton Averre is THE ABSOLUTE S%#T. One of the tastiest, most versatile guitar players out there, no questions asked. Also, Prescott Niles, who played bass for The Knack, is a total monster.

As I've said before, if the backlash against The Knack hadn't been so severe, an awful lot more people would be dropping their names on the "influences" lists...

This post got me thinking about old stuff, too.

Here is a powerpop song that I did in 1992 (back in my original band days)

http://home.insight.rr.com/paults/pictures/Deanna.mp3

Here's one I played on as an audition for a power pop band back in 1998. Can you friggin' believe I didn't get the gig? Edited to add: I don't come in until the melody line a minute into it, and the rideout solo is my trademark pentatonic wankery.

http://www.hamerfanclub.com/memberpages/mu...chris/abuzz.mp3

Studio into Soldano ... yeah, it can do power pop!

Archived