Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anybody Know Jimmy Page's Net Worth?

Hamerhack

Just wondering, after the Led Zep reunion concert...

Everybody says Paul McCartney is (or was) worth a $billion.

Anybody have an idea what Jimmy Page is worth (monetary, not intrinsic value)? I assume he's worth more than Robert Plant and JPJ, since he does the production work. I assume Page must be one of the wealthiest rock and rollers.

What about somebody like Diamond Dave & EVH? What does Dave get on this tour? Having Dave is of course what all the fuss is about.

Some of you financial types may have a ballpark estimate.

Here is a list of the richest British rock stars from seven years ago. Apparently Mr. Page has not done as well as other musicians, but he kept a low profile for a few years after Led Zeppelin ended.

Here are the 40 richest British rock stars [Except for the Irish U2] according to net worth, estimated by Business Age:

1. Paul McCartney, $750 million

2. Elton John, $500 million

3. Mick Jagger, $225 million

4. Keith Richards, $220 million

5. Tom Jones, $149 million

5 (tie). Engelbert Humperdinck, $149 million

7. David Bowie, $145 million

8. Sting, $143 million

8 (tie). Phil Collins, $143 million

10. George Harrison, $128 million

11. Ringo Starr, $111 million

12. Eric Clapton, $108 million

13. U2, $105 million each

13 (tie). George Michael, $105 million

15. Rod Stewart, $101 million

16. Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones), $96 million

17. Cliff Richard, $89 million

18. David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), $86 million

19. Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), $85 million each

20. Ronnie Wood (Rolling Stones), $82 million

20 (tie). Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits), $82 million

22. Roger Waters (Pink Floyd), $74 million

23. John Deacon, Brian May, and Roger Taylor (Queen), $67 million each

24. Nick Mason (Pink Floyd), $64 million

25. Rick Wright (Pink Floyd), $61 million

26. Jim Kerr (Simple Minds), $60 million

27. Mick Hucknall (Simply Red), $57 million

28. Van Morrison, $52 million

29. The Bee Gees, $49 million each

30. Chris de Burgh, $45 million

31. Victoria Beckham (Spice Girls), $37 million

32. Noel Gallagher (Oasis), $36 million

33. Dave Stewart (Eurythmics), $34 million

34. Melanie Chisholm and Melanie Brown (Spice Girls), $33 million each

35. Emma Bunton (Spice Girls), $31 million

36. Liam Gallagher (Oasis), $28 million

37. Geri Halliwell (ex-Spice Girl), $25 million

38. Annie Lennox (Eurythmics), $22 million

39. Fatboy Slim, $21 million

40. Robbie Williams, $16 million

Keep in mind that a lot of it has to do with what you do with the stack, once you make it.

F'rinstance, (from a reliable source) Dave Mason put his up his nose for a long time and is still out there flogging the act. His longtime drummer, "Doc" Jaeger made a few prudent investments with his (considerably smaller) stack and is sitting quite pretty, thank you.

Keep in mind that a lot of it has to do with what you do with the stack, once you make it.

F'rinstance, (from a reliable source) Dave Mason put his up his nose for a long time and is still out there flogging the act. His longtime drummer, "Doc" Jaeger made a few prudent investments with his (considerably smaller) stack and is sitting quite pretty, thank you.

11990312.jpg

Must be yet another happy customer . . . (and that book really is good).

There is a quote from Steven Tyler in the Aerosmith autobiography Walk This Way that goes something like, "I had a car and it went up my nose. I had a plane and it went up my nose. I had a house and it went up my nose."

Something that is overlooked is that album sales in the late 60's and early 70's were not as great as they would become by the late 70's through the 80's. The early Led Zeppelin albums were popular, but not the multi-platinum successes they were assumed to be. A lot of classic albums did not hit gold or platinum until many years after they were released. Concert tickets were a lot cheaper during the Led Zeppelin years, too.

I guess that I wondered if Led Zep will tour if for no other reason than to let Jason Bonham earn some big bucks. I assumed the other guys don't really "need" any money, but as mentioned, they could rake in tons of money in a tour these days. (That is, if purported cheapskate Jimmy "Led Wallet" Page would let Jason earn a percentage of the box office!)

I thought that Pagey owned all of the rights to the old videos and live footage, so he did very well with the How the West Was Won DVDs, etc. Some shockers on that list because they're so freaking obscure. Some others who might not even be on that list anymore.

Wonder WHY the Spice Girls got back together?

There is a quote from Steven Tyler in the Aerosmith autobiography Walk This Way that goes something like, "I had a car and it went up my nose. I had a plane and it went up my nose. I had a house and it went up my nose."

Something that is overlooked is that album sales in the late 60's and early 70's were not as great as they would become by the late 70's through the 80's. The early Led Zeppelin albums were popular, but not the multi-platinum successes they were assumed to be. A lot of classic albums did not hit gold or platinum until many years after they were released. Concert tickets were a lot cheaper during the Led Zeppelin years, too.

Yeah, I paid $15 to see Led Zep on their last tour and that was the scalper price!!!! We had nosebleed seats in Madison Square Garden, but still....

Where are Roger Daltry and Pete Townshend?

I remember reading about Pete Townshend being in debt for a million or two back in the 80's. Pete's reply was that it was just a cost of doing business and that his current project would turn that around. He may have made some bad financial decisions along the way. The Who may not have owned as much of their group as we might think.

I thought that Pagey owned all of the rights to the old videos and live footage, so he did very well with the How the West Was Won DVDs, etc.

Would be interesting to see where the standings are now; that list was from 7 years ago predating a LOT of promotional activities.

If you recall, the very first time a LZ tune was allowed for a soundtrack wasn't until Almost Famous, about 7 years ago. They had almost 20 years of Dead Air. Given HTWWW, the DVD, this Christmas's re-releases, and the increasing use of their catalog for films and commercial purposes, wouldn't be surprised if he's worth substantially more now.

Plus, as the saying goes, the rising tide floats all boats (their exisiting releases).

Guest Mike Lee

I bet Jagger and Richards got half of their fortunes from Microsoft using "Start Me Up" for the Windows '95 launch. Damn near ruined that song.

A few years ago David Bowie sold stock in his back catalog of music. Now we hear songs Bowie either recorded or wrote for someone else used in commercials. When you hear Mott The Hoople or Iggy Pop music in a commercial or movie soundtrack it will likely be something written by Bowie. While many 60's "artists" cringed at their music being cheapened (and they did not get royalties), Bowie sees it as good business.

Archived