Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The best rock bassist ever?

Special J

My bass player bought The Who's "The Kids are Alright" DVD last week. I highly recommend it! It's got a bunch of special features, including 2 songs, Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again, where it's just a straight camera shot locked on Entwisle with the bass track isolated so that all you hear is him. Holy shit! I've always been a Who fan, but I have a whole new respect for Entwisle. His playing is just amazing, and he makes it look effortless. He almost looks bored. My bass player made the statement that Entwisle might just be the best rock bassist ever, but definitely the best of his peers. As much as I like to push his buttons, I couldn't disagree with him. The whole time I was watching the clip I looked like this :angry:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had the Ox placed in the top 3 list. Often in the number one slot.

Ox is my #1.

Tom Petersson is a close second because of his tone and all of the 12 string stuff.

Sir Paul is tremendously underrated, as is Gene Simmons IMHO.

I always liked Geezer Butler and off course Sid Vicious.:angry:

I saw The WHo in Philly back in 89 and Entwisle was nothing short of AWESOME!! I'd definately put him right up there with McCartney and John Paul Jones. Now looking at those 3, being in a rythm section with either Ringo, Keith Moon or John Bonham would make any bass player better.....

Guest pirateflynn

Geddy Lee would be the best rock bassist ever.

Yeah, he's great but that opens up a whole new can of worms. Now we have to add Greg Lake and Chris Squire!

Yeah, he's great but that opens up a whole new can of worms. Now we have to add Greg Lake and Chris Squire!

All of the players mentioned in this thread are exceptionally talented. What I should say is that "in my opinion" Geddy is more talented. None of the others sang lead, played bass, and used their feet on pedals, all at the same time, lol. At least not that I am aware of.

Regardless of vocals, etc., Geddy Lee makes my top 3 list too!

All of the players mentioned in this thread are exceptionally talented. What I should say is that "in my opinion" Geddy is more talented. None of the others sang lead, played bass, and used their feet on pedals, all at the same time, lol. At least not that I am aware of.

Les Claypool did all but the foot pedals, and he idolizes Lee. I think Claypool is the prototype for a certain kind of rock bassist. So is Lee, JPJ, and Entwistle. I don't think McCartney belongs anywhere near the list.

I don't think McCartney belongs anywhere near the list.

I predict you'll get some resistance to that opinion.

I'm not even going to go there at this time.

Maybe a little. A little song like *Silly love Songs* smoke most people. Sir P. has more melody in his friggin pinky than most. Oh, well.

My bass player bought The Who's "The Kids are Alright" DVD last week. I highly recommend it! It's got a bunch of special features, including 2 songs, Baba O'Riley and Won't Get Fooled Again, where it's just a straight camera shot locked on Entwisle with the bass track isolated so that all you hear is him. Holy shit! I've always been a Who fan, but I have a whole new respect for Entwisle. His playing is just amazing, and he makes it look effortless. He almost looks bored. My bass player made the statement that Entwisle might just be the best rock bassist ever, but definitely the best of his peers. As much as I like to push his buttons, I couldn't disagree with him. The whole time I was watching the clip I looked like this :angry:

A couple of my favs-

Steve Harris- Iron Maiden

Robert De Leo- Stone Temple Pilots

Mona- Sammy Hagar and the Waboritas

There is no definitive answer; past a certain point it's taste.

Having said that, I agree with most of the above.

Entwhistle is just in a class of his own, talentwise.

Close second are Chris Squire, Geddy Lee, JPJ, and yes, McCartney (65-70). Tony Levin has done some amazing stuff, although not all would call it straight rock.

Plus, I've got a soft spot in my heart for ole motorboy hisself, Lemmy.

I really like Entwistle , lee, and claypool.....

what about steve harris ?

all the rock mags back in the day always asked lee or harris ?

Archived