Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Help with dating Limited Edition Korina Artist

While researching the serail number section of this site, I took a look at the serial numbers of my Korina guitars and noticed something odd. My 1997 Limited Korina Vector is a 747 series number which goes with the information in the database. My 2000 Rick Nielsen Limited Edition 25th Anniversary Standard is a 949 series number, which again, goes along with the information in the database. Now here is the strange one. I have a Limited Edition Korina Artist which came out after both of the other guitars and yet the serial number (849 series) would suggest that it was made in 1998. I am researching my Guitar Player magazines to find the article that I read on the release of the guitar just before I bought it, but I know it was well after I purchased the other 2 Korinas.

Does anybody know the lowdown on this guitar??

Korina Artist

I don't know about the Rick Nielsen model but the serial number of the 25th anniversary starting with a 9 suggests that that is not a 2000 guitar but a 1999 (and that was the year of Hamer's 25th anniversary).

Gabe :blink:

It may be a 1999. Quite honestly, I don't remember whether it was 1999 or 2000 when I got it. According to the serial database, 949501-022 would have been a 2000. Maybe I am misreading the database. It's supposed to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Live at Budokan album. When was that album released?

The serial number 949501-022 indicates that the guitar has been manufactured in 1999 and it is the 49.501 st USA Hamer made (at least with a serial number). Moreover, it is the 22 nd of a limited edition series.

I guess that the Cheap Trick Live at Budokan album was released in 1976, but I am not completely sure of that.

Gabe :blink:

My 2000 Rick Nielsen Limited Edition 25th Anniversary Standard is a 949 series number, which again, goes along with the information in the database. Now here is the strange one. I have a Limited Edition Korina Artist which came out after both of the other guitars and yet the serial number (849 series) would suggest that it was made in 1998.

The Korina Vectors were the second limited run, done in '97. The Korina Standards were done the year before, in a numbered run of 100. I am assuming you are talking about the numbered Korina Nielsen (Futura) model, with the silver engraved plates from the limited run that followed in '99, right? They made a flametop/59Burst USA Standard model Nielsen Signature in 97 or so, but that was only available in the Japanese market.

The third in the Korina series was the '98 Korina Artist Limited model, which lines up with the serial # you listed. As far as a twenty-fifth anniversary model, the Cherry Trans and Black Mahogany production models and Silver-trimmed LE models (a run of 25-26) were slotted for 1999, although production started in Fall of '98.

Budokan was released outside of Japan in 1979, although it was recorded in Spring, '78.

The serial number 949501-022 indicates that the guitar has been manufactured in 1999 and it is the 49.501 st USA Hamer made (at least with a serial number). Moreover, it is the 22 nd of a limited edition series.

The guitar is the 49,501th guitar using that serial number scheme. This numbering code does not include the 4-digit (#0000 to #07XX) codes used until @ 1984 for non-production instruments, like the early Standards, custom orders, multi-course basses, etc.

Yep - that's it. The Nielsen Korina Model is styled after the old Gibson Explorer Prototype or "Futura". It is a bit more angular than a Standard, which is pretty close to a '50s style Explorer body.

Those are very nice guitars - it took me a while to get used to the body style (or figure out why THAT was the one chosen for a Nielsen sig), but they are very comfortable and every one I've played is unusually resonant.

Personally, I don't play it that much because my percussive blues style is more suited to single coils, however, it does see a lot of action in my studio with the rock bands that come in to record. It sounds absolutely amazing through my Marshall JTM 45. The only reason I got it was to go with my Vector. They both are #22. Now if Hamer would just agree to make me a Modern with the same serial number, I'd have the perfect trio. (albeit Hamer instead of Gibson) For some reason, Hamer says that they can't make a Modern due to copy right issues with Gibson. If that's the case, how did they get away with copying the 58 Flying V and the Explorer?

i really don't understand the previous posts in answer to your original question...

look...here's what you do....

take that Korina out to a French restaurant....ply her with wine and intelligent conversation...compliment her on how she looks...take her home....play with her a little....

if that doesn't do it....give it up and try a cheaper easy model....

Actually, Hamer responded to an email and told me that it is a 1998. Some dealer must have tucked it away for some reason, because I didn't buy it until 2000 and it was untouched when I got it.

Bobsessed, email Steve at [email protected] and tell him what ya got.

Archived