#1 Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA

Veteran HFCer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:14 AM

Hey guys,

I saw these for sale on E-bay. Are these the original Hamer guitar pickups wound by Larry Dimarzio? Does anybody have information on these? If these are Hamer Slammer pickups, are they of any value and do they sound any good? Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...7327424220&rd=1

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Guitar George

1995 Hamer Archtop Sunburst (Dimarzio Bluesbucker & Air Norton)

1997 Hamer USA Artist Custom ( Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickups)
1994 Hamer USA Diablo II (Dimarzio Norton Lite, HS-2 & Tone Zone)
1990 Hamer USA Chapparal Elite 90 (Seymour Duncan Trembucker humbuckers & single coil)
1982 Hamer USA Cruisebass (Dimarzio P+J pickups)

I play Hamer USA guitars. Now that's hot!!

#2 serial

serial

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 10,609 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:20 AM

Those are the 80s Hamer-stamped Dimarzio "Slammer" pickups. I like them in the Phantoms and Prototypes that I've had them in. They were a takeoff of the DImarzio PAFs, but I've found that they got hotter as the 80s progressed.
Gee, thanks Elvis.

#3 cmatthes

cmatthes

Veteran HFCer

• Admin
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:26 AM

G.G.:

Those ARE the Hamer-spec Dimarzio "Slammer" winds, but are not the legendary pickups wound by Larry that showed up on the early guitars. Those were production/factory models, not Larry hand-winds.

"It's just like looking in a mirror, except for the Ace outfit." (Feynman, January, 2012)

RicksPicks0000Small.jpg

#4 Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA

Veteran HFCer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:54 AM

Hey people,

Ok, so those Hamer Slammer guitar pickups are factory OEM from the '80s Hamer guitars. Do they sound any good and how much is the market value? Where can I get the old school '70s hand wound Hamer/Diamarzio pickups?

Guitar George

1995 Hamer Archtop Sunburst (Dimarzio Bluesbucker & Air Norton)

1997 Hamer USA Artist Custom ( Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickups)
1994 Hamer USA Diablo II (Dimarzio Norton Lite, HS-2 & Tone Zone)
1990 Hamer USA Chapparal Elite 90 (Seymour Duncan Trembucker humbuckers & single coil)
1982 Hamer USA Cruisebass (Dimarzio P+J pickups)

I play Hamer USA guitars. Now that's hot!!

#5 cmatthes

cmatthes

Veteran HFCer

• Admin
  • 19,406 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:24 AM

GG:
The values range depending on availability. A lot of people love 'em and swear by them, others think they can be too hot. Depends on what you're playing, what you're playing through and what style and how you play though, right?!

I've purchased them recently for as little as $15-$20 each, but seen them go for the low $60s on eBay. They tend to go for close to comparable-era DiMarzio PAFs.

I'm no expert on the '70's "hand wound" or "wound by Larry for Hamer" DiMarzios, but in the extremely unlikely event you could find one of those for sale, they would probably not be cheap. Your best bet is to look for the silver braid, 70's DiMarzio PAFs - basically the same thing as Hamer used, I think. The closest substitute, anyway.

"It's just like looking in a mirror, except for the Ace outfit." (Feynman, January, 2012)

RicksPicks0000Small.jpg

#6 Wrecks

Wrecks

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:10 AM

I bet BCR has a few of those hand-wounds.

I know he has at least one.

#7 serial

serial

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 10,609 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:50 PM

I doubt it. I don't think Larry hand wound many at all for Hamer. If any Hamer pickups were "hand-wound" they would've been on the old four digits, not on the production guitars. I've got a set in #0017 where one is a straight Dimarzio (early one) and the other is a rewound Gibson PAF with a Dimarzio baseplate. By the time the Sunburst came out in '77, Larry D was in full swing pretty much, although Hamer spec'd their PAF style pickups from him a little different than the normal ones.
Gee, thanks Elvis.

#8 BCR Greg

BCR Greg

Veteran HFCer

• Hamer Authorized Dealer
  • 19,347 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 01:40 PM

I have real 50's PAFs and Hamer PAFs but no Larry wound 4 digit Hamer PAFs. I wish I did!!!

Edited by BCR Greg, 02 June 2005 - 01:41 PM.

Never the biggest, always the best.
www.bcrmusic.com
www.youtube.com/unkagreg