Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Why did Hamer discontinue the Daytona?

Greetings everyone...what a GREAT forum, with a GREAT bunch of folks!!!

I've always been a strat player from the first time I picked up an electric.

Trouble was, I really couldn't settle on a strat I absolutely loved.

Please don't get me wrong, I've had more than few wonderful strats, American Series, EC, EJ sigs, 50th annies to name a few, but not to name drop. :D

That is until I bought a 1993 Hamer Daytona. I loved the 1 11/16 nut width, the 14" radius fret board, the SD pups, the locking tuners, etc.

I've gotta believe, that I'm not alone.

With that, to my Hamer family, please tell me, why do you think Hamer stopped making this righteous guitar?

I gotta know! :D

Thank you very much!

Hamerfan...soon to be 51!

/\ +1 to those comments. Hamer just went in another direction.

They are really nice aren't they? This livingroom noodler loves the pair in my house. :D

NT

040824.jpg

Blackie

040823.jpg

Post up some pron of your's please! :D

I never tried the Daytona but I love my T-62. Smaller body, probably filled with helium as it weighs absolutely nothing. ABM tremolo that stay in tune perfectly and sustains like a bell. The neck is wide/medium and is just made for playing hours of those funky rythm chords, no fatigue just pure fun.

I'd love to try a Daytone one day. Here's a pic to the T-62:

01-T-62-body.jpg

I never tried the Daytona but I love my T-62. Smaller body, probably filled with helium as it weighs absolutely nothing. ABM tremolo that stay in tune perfectly and sustains like a bell. The neck is wide/medium and is just made for playing hours of those funky rythm chords, no fatigue just pure fun.

01-T-62-body.jpg

What's that little switch at the back of the guitar for? Is it a standard thing, or did you order it?

What's that little switch at the back of the guitar for? Is it a standard thing, or did you order it?

It is standard from the factory and it activates an EMG boost circuit board mounted in the back cavity. It is mounted exactly as the mini switch on a Centaura, which does not have a pic guard. The Centaura and T62 are similar in many ways, (both excellent guitars). Perhaps it was a way for the Hamer factory to be efficient in production? That is the only reason I can think of why they did not mount it on the pickguard.

I'm sure they're fine guitars, but I for one never understood why they started making Daytonas and T51s in the first place. At least Hamer's Gibson rips had some unique touches (sustain block bridges on the Sunbursts/Specials; softer, sexier lines and binding on the Standards). Other than the headstocks, these were IDENTICAL to Strats and Teles.

Did the Daytonas have the regular Fender Strat 25.5" scale, or did they use the Gibson 24.75" scale, or...???

25.5" by the looks of it, or at the very least most of them...

Yeah -- that's what I would guess by looking at them too. Would love to have a strat with a shorter scale. I just can't bond with my strat -- hate the scale and the way it plays. Funny because I love the same scale on teles.

p.s. Who's the gal in your avatar???

Jol Dantzig said that with people like Tom Anderson and James Tyler providing top quality Fender style guitars there is no need for Hamer to make Strat and Tele style guitars.

makes alot of sense. atleast to me.

economics of supply and demand; mucho supply of good strat/tele components by many producers even beyond current demand. the surplus impact of marketing is a downward push on pricing to compete with the big name manufacturers. not alot of profit to justify the manpower or business focus. from a marketing perspective, there is a hell of alot of static/noise from the sheer number of decent producers. makes it awfully tough to compete - like a shouting match.

Did the Daytonas have the regular Fender Strat 25.5" scale, or did they use the Gibson 24.75" scale, or...???

25.5" by the looks of it, or at the very least most of them...

Yeah -- that's what I would guess by looking at them too. Would love to have a strat with a shorter scale. I just can't bond with my strat -- hate the scale and the way it plays. Funny because I love the same scale on teles.

p.s. Who's the gal in your avatar???

Kate Todd, and can you work out why it's bloody so small??? :D

I love 25.5" scale guitars...

I'm sure they're fine guitars, but I for one never understood why they started making Daytonas and T51s in the first place. At least Hamer's Gibson rips had some unique touches (sustain block bridges on the Sunbursts/Specials; softer, sexier lines and binding on the Standards). Other than the headstocks, these were IDENTICAL to Strats and Teles.

+1. If you're known for basically doing Gibson copies, and then add Fender copies and then some dinky Jackson copies... you end up with um, oh Hamer. That company that builds a bunch of guitars that look like other peoples' designs.

They still sorta make Gibson copies but they are now pretty clearly -- to the usual consumer -- of Gibson ancestry or inspiration, rather than just one more minor variation on an original.

Not sure why your photo is so small -- all I know is that Kate needs to spend a LOT more time south of the border!

todd_kate_250.jpg

She's very pretty. If she's from Australia, then it doesn't get much more southern than that. She's from south of the Equator!

Archived