#1 JGale

JGale

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 02:25 PM

http://www.nydailyne...ics/Eddy Arnold

Sad.
The HFC: "10/10! Better than described! Would shop there again!" (V) (,,,,) (V)
IPB Image

#2 Celtic_Bill

Celtic_Bill

Outer Circle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

Great singing voice, and a seemingly humble guy. My folks used to play his records (anybody remember those?) when I was a kid, I can still hear "Make The World Go Away" while banging on the hardwood floor with my Tonka trucks..........

#3 Steve Haynie

Steve Haynie

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 10,907 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:43 AM

Great singing voice, and a seemingly humble guy. My folks used to play his records (anybody remember those?) when I was a kid, I can still hear "Make The World Go Away" while banging on the hardwood floor with my Tonka trucks..........

You just described life in my house. Eddy Arnold was one of the first entertainers I could name because of hearing my parents play his records. In the last year or two I got my father an Eddy Arnold box set with music from his earlier days.

Here is a sample of Eddy Arnold performing on the radio.

Here is some video content.

Edited by Steve Haynie, 09 May 2008 - 04:46 AM.

#4 hamerican gigolo

hamerican gigolo

Inner Circle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:15 AM

" Cattle Call " anyone?

Mr. Arnold had one of the best voices ever to come out of Music City.

#5 ScottM

ScottM

Inner Circle

• Supporter
  • 489 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

My daughter (13) told me to shut up when I was (loudly) singing Make the World Go Away at breakfast this morning. :rolleyes:

I do need to add some Eddy to my collection.
Scott M.
IPB Image

#6 JohnnyB

JohnnyB

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 9,001 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:40 PM

" Cattle Call " anyone?

I love that one! I picked up a "Best of..." LP from a fitty-cent bin awhile back. I'll have to play it in his honor.

JohnnyB

Gas-free since I got my Newport...until I picked up bass 9 years later.

#7 Matt Mattson

Matt Mattson

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

Got to hear a whole lot of him (and see his shows on the BW tv) growing up. My Mom's favorite singer.

#8 JohnnyB

JohnnyB

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 9,001 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:19 PM

" Cattle Call " anyone?

I love that one! I picked up a "Best of..." LP from a fitty-cent bin awhile back. I'll have to play it in his honor.

Played my "Best of Eddy Arnold" LP this afternoon. He was a far greater talent than I'd ever realized. He had this sort of generic-sounding voice and a generic-looking middle-aged face and build, but not really. And I've seldom heard pitch control like his--right up there with Mel Torme and Tony Bennett on a good night. He also had a deceptively wide range.

He didn't cheat or slide into, or miss one note on that album. Pitch perfect all the way.

JohnnyB

Gas-free since I got my Newport...until I picked up bass 9 years later.

#9 hamerican gigolo

hamerican gigolo

Inner Circle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:50 AM

" Cattle Call " anyone?

Played my "Best of Eddy Arnold" LP this afternoon. He was a far greater talent than I'd ever realized. He had this sort of generic-sounding voice and a generic-looking middle-aged face and build, but not really. And I've seldom heard pitch control like his--right up there with Mel Torme and Tony Bennett on a good night. He also had a deceptively wide range.

He didn't cheat or slide into, or miss one note on that album. Pitch perfect all the way.

That was back in the day when talent meant something in the music biz. Now with Pro Tools & pitch
shifters,you can make almost anyone sound good.