Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The Newport Appreciation Thread

Sam

I know the Cats on my Newport sound P90ish, yet they lack what someone here called the "midrange heat' on the previous page. They don't have the snarl or snottiness of  real P90s. Yet they certainly sound incredible, albeit in a different way. The neck is so smooth yet there is no mud. The bridge is nasty and bites and grinds, just different from a pure p90. And they should be since a true p90 has a longer coil that can fit inside an HB sized enclosure. And I am glad since I have the p90 snarl covered in a solid slab. I want the Newport to go from rockabilly to Nugent to Stones to pop. And it does. 

I find the Cats to be very versatile and they sound good in front of every amp I've thrown them at so far. 

'These are really great guitars.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

I know the Cats on my Newport sound P90ish, yet they lack what someone here called the "midrange heat' on the previous page. They don't have the snarl or snottiness of  real P90s. Yet they certainly sound incredible, albeit in a different way. The neck is so smooth yet there is no mud. The bridge is nasty and bites and grinds, just different from a pure p90. And they should be since a true p90 has a longer coil that can fit inside an HB sized enclosure. And I am glad since I have the p90 snarl covered in a solid slab. I want the Newport to go from rockabilly to Nugent to Stones to pop. And it does. 

I find the Cats to be very versatile and they sound good in front of every amp I've thrown them at so far. 

'These are really great guitars.

Throw some "Cats" into a Thinline Telel or a Special and they just work. ;) In head to head reviews users say they don't sound like a vintage P90 compared to other P90's in a Humbucker Package. THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT because they are killer pickups. SD sent out questionnaire on suggestions for a new P90 in a Hum package. I sent back MAKE A NEW MODEL and leave my Phatcats alone! 

41 minutes ago, bubs_42 said:

Throw some "Cats" into a Thinline Telel or a Special and they just work. ;) In head to head reviews users say they don't sound like a vintage P90 compared to other P90's in a Humbucker Package. THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT because they are killer pickups. SD sent out questionnaire on suggestions for a new P90 in a Hum package. I sent back MAKE A NEW MODEL and leave my Phatcats alone! 

Word!

15 hours ago, bubs_42 said:

The PhatCats are the best pickups SD ever made.

22 hours ago, cmatthes said:

All maple!

MyNewport12.jpg

MyNewport12andbestfriend_zpsel7fnpqb.jpg

This guitar as a 6-string . . . , 

I'm done! - Gorgeous

On 1/30/2017 at 11:12 AM, ArnieZ said:

I have a Newport Pro, not a Bigsby fan either, I loved it when I got it with the Seth's. I had to see what the cats were all about and paid a pretty penny to get a set. They weren't available from Duncan then. I bought an extra set from Kim Keller. I put them in and liked them as well, but recently popped the Seth;s back in and honestly it's a tough call. Both of them work really well in this guitar

ArnieZ

My Pro that I found here came with one of each with the Seth in the bridge position. Interesting combo and needless to say, a great guitar.

On 2/5/2017 at 4:42 PM, cmatthes said:

All maple!

MyNewport12.jpg

MyNewport12andbestfriend_zpsel7fnpqb.jpg

Amazingly handsome. I almost bought another Newport recently. Got the itch from an eBay listing but couldn't close the deal. They are a bit hard to find so I actually ended up with a Gibson Midtown in the meantime which is a surprisingly nice playing and sounding guitar. But then I see THIS. Man oh man. And, I also just noticed its a 12 string. I'm floored.I would absolutely love one of these someday.  I have owned many, many guitars, and a few Hamers along the way and I see folks bragging about their "10 Tops" and 'AAAAA Grade" and such I always think that nobody, and I mean nobody, did quilts and flames better than Hamer did. The other example above is stellar. This site is littered with absolute Hamer art.   

• 9 months later...
On 30-1-2017 at 5:35 PM, Camstone said:

My most recent addition to the stable back in early December.

These are some of the pictures that the guy I bought it from had on Reverb. Too much snow on the ground here for a photo shoot.

The Filtertrons are cool, never had a guitar with them before. The top on this one is sick.....

CropperCapture[3].jpg

Beautiful!

Especially the bound f-holes are what I like the most.

Gabe :)

2 hours ago, william b said:

Would anyone have an estimate of the value of a basically NOS Newport Korina from circa 2003?

Look around, you can ask all you want but your only going to get what anyone is willing to pay. I'd try $1600 and go from there. Heck start at 2K and see what happens, good luck. 

I am fighting the urge to take the Rumpeltrons in my Artist and try them in the Newport...just because....but it is such a rocker just the way it is with the Cats...

On 1/30/2017 at 4:35 PM, Camstone said:

My most recent addition to the stable back in early December.

These are some of the pictures that the guy I bought it from had on Reverb. Too much snow on the ground here for a photo shoot.

The Filtertrons are cool, never had a guitar with them before. The top on this one is sick.....

CropperCapture[5].jpg

CropperCapture[3].jpg

CropperCapture[2].jpg

CropperCapture[11].jpg

Amazing. If you should ever grow weary of this one I know someone that might love to give it a good home...

Archived