Hamer Fan Club Message Center

When recording guitar...

Arjay

I prefer to plug direct into the recording interface for electric guitar. For acoustic it depends on the sound I'm going for, but usually I double track it, one direct and one mic'd.

One of my tube distortion pedals has a line out that emulates a speaker cabinet. It sounds ok but I never use it. I'd rather not color the sound before recording.

I think this has probably been asked in a previous post but what do you guys prefer to use when you record: micing and amp, or going straight into the software

It depends. If I'm tracking the guitar with other instruments going I usually go direct so I don't pick up anything else in the mic. The Fender Cyber-Deluxe has a really good sounding speaker-emulated direct out. The Sansamp PSA-1 sounds good direct too. I've also had success with the Lexicon Signature 284 recording amp. If I'm tracking the guitar alone. I'll also mic the cabinet, and then put another mic across the room to catch the far wall reflection and then decide what sounds best in the context of the mix.

For acoustic, I use a stereo pair of small diaphragm mics at the 12th fret, then hang a large diaphragm mic in front of the sound hole. The I'll put another mic further out to catch some room ambiance.

-Jonathan

Depends...

I've used the Guitar directly into the computer; guitar into VOXTonelab into interface into computer; guitar into TM60 into interface into computer; Guitar into TM60 and Mic into preamp into interface into computer.

for quick sketch I use software emulation. Just for the sake of simplicity. For more serious record only mic sounds good to me. First - there is nothing like my Marshall pushed to 50% of master volume (when speakers get punished a lot), secondly there is nothing like a mic's diaphragm being pushed by air.

And I have yet to hear an emulated sound which would cut through the mix in a way how miked real amp cuts.

I guess that would depend on why you're recording. Are you recording just so you can jam to something?

If you're recording something professionally, wouldn't you want to capture that specific "sound"? Isn't that the point of owning a really fancy amp?

If you're recording something professionally, wouldn't you want to capture that specific "sound"? Isn't that the point of owning a really fancy amp?

For me, I want my amp to be as neutral as possible in the sound, at least when clean. Maybe that is sacrilege, but I want my guitar to sound like my guitar, not like some amp. If we are adding distortion, now that is a different story. In that case I am looking for a particular tube or rectifier sound, or sometimes a particular pedal such as the Big Muff. So maybe I will be looking for a classic blues tube sound with just a touch of distortion, or maybe a smooth rectifier high gain sound. But in those cases I'm not looking to sound like a particular amp per se.

Though I think modeling and software has come a long way, I still prefer the sound of an amp and a mic through a good preamp. If I'm just doing a sketch or a demo, it doesn't really matter much to me either way. Going direct and re-amping gives you a great deal of options as well.

If I'm just dinking around here at home working on a new song or arrangements, then I'll just run my GT-8 straight into my Delta 1010.

But for the real deal, ya gotta mic a real amp.

There are tons of standard mics for guitar amps. The SM 57 is the most common (and most over rated), but there's also the Sennheiser 609, 906, 421, and 409; Audix I5, D3, and Fireball; And the A-T dual diaphram kick mic, which actually makes a great guitar mic. This guy here knows a thing or 2 about sound, and that's what he uses on guitar amps

Nothing beats the SM57 Mike and Celestion Vintage 30 speaker cone,but for convenience and quick results the Marshall JMP1 valve preamp speaker emulation is very good indeed.

When I do all by myself (programmed drum track, keyboards, bass, guitar and all other MIDI tracks) then I plug the guitar into a Presonus Firebox and use Guitar Rig. When recording at our rehearsal place (as a trio) we use mics on the drums, DI outs on the amps and the out from the mixing console for the vocals.

Archived