Hamer Fan Club Message Center

1957 Les Paul Special rebuild

RoyB

Question

17 answers to this question

Great work, sir!

So the only thing original is the neck and electronics?

-Austin

and the hardware. The body wood was air dried for six years.

Noticed it has a shelf like a Monaco. Great looking guitar Roy. Awsome!

Yup, Hamer's just keeping it old school by using the shelf.

Roy,

How did you come up with the body shape? Did you use another 57 as a template or did you use the original body and just correct the f-ed up parts?

-Austin

Noticed it has a shelf like a Monaco. Great looking guitar Roy. Awsome!

Yup, Hamer's just keeping it old school by using the shelf.

Roy,

How did you come up with the body shape? Did you use another 57 as a template or did you use the original body and just correct the f-ed up parts?

-Austin

I was lucky on this one. If you look at the photos of the wood being drawn out you will see another raw 57 next to the blank. We had both of them in for refins within two days of each other.

Very Nice!! The neck join is much different than current historic LP's. Question: How do you set the neck angle? I know Hamer has a jig they use to check that the angle is correct.

ArnieZ

Very Nice!! The neck join is much different than current historic LP's. Question: How do you set the neck angle? I know Hamer has a jig they use to check that the angle is correct.

ArnieZ

The Joint is the same one used by Gibson on the Historic 57 Special and Junior being a standard box joint. You don't set the neck angle in the body because the bottom of the neck joint is flat. The angle is made in the bottom of the neck tenon, so that's still factory on this guitar because we steamed the remaining body wood off the neck so we did not mess with Gibson's joint.

Why was the lower horn cut off like that? To remove the neck?

It's the easiest way to get the neck out without risking damage to the neck if you don't care about saving the body.

The Joint is the same one used by Gibson on the Historic 57 Special and Junior being a standard box joint. You don't set the neck angle in the body because the bottom of the neck joint is flat. The angle is made in the bottom of the neck tenon, so that's still factory on this guitar because we steamed the remaining body wood off the neck so we did not mess with Gibson's joint.

Same as Hamer. Bottom of neck pocket in body is flat and the angle is milled on the neck tenon.

Nice work. How does the owner think it compares in sound to the original body?

Same as Hamer. Bottom of neck pocket in body is flat and the angle is milled on the neck tenon.

Nice work. How does the owner think it compares in sound to the original body?

He does not have it yet, but the old body had been sanded, routed, inlayed and had the neck reset incorrectly, so It was not much of a guitar when it came in from what I could tell.

I'm really impressed - thats aanabsolutely first rate piece of work. The result is fab, and very very authentic.

The before pictures are pretty upsetting - revolting even! Tut! some people!

How long did the project take from start to finish?

Best wishes, and great work+kudos gentlemen.

Ben

I'm really impressed - thats aanabsolutely first rate piece of work. The result is fab, and very very authentic.

The before pictures are pretty upsetting - revolting even! Tut! some people!

How long did the project take from start to finish?

Best wishes, and great work+kudos gentlemen.

Ben

Thanks for that. Total time was a bit over six months.

Archived