Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Hamer Studio?????

Hey guys!!!!!!!

I haven't been on here in a while. I have been having some health problems and alighter, better balanced, more ergonomically correct guitar in the LP tonal range would be just what I need.

I have been checking out PRS CU22s, Hamer Studios, but I had a Studio back in the late 90s or around 2000 or so and liked it but when I got my LP, I sold the Hamer. Now, I am interested in buying another

What is the weight and balance like on these? Fret work? Woods? Smooth frets along the edges or sharp and jagged? I was looking at PRS CU22s but the prices used! Yikes. I was also lookingat Dean USA Hardtails.

Its been a while and I forget how the playability is on the Hamers. Are the necks beefy, like the LP 50s neck? That's what I want.

Tones?

Thanks!RIch

The vintage neck carve is slightly thinner than the 50s neck, and more of a C shape. The LPs I have played with 50s neck had almost a D shape.

I might be talking out of my ass though

Neck woods are going to be 99.9999999% of the time mahog. and rosewood

Fret work on the 10 Hamers ive owned have been perfect, the 3 prs that i own have had to have a little file work on the ends, most people would not have noticed the tiny jaged spots but im super OCD about fret ends

Ha! I am super OCD about fret ends too! I always run my fingers down the board to feel a nice smooth edge, nothing sharp. Ha.

Right now, my main guitars are a Les Paul Standard with 50s neck, 89 SG, 98 American fat strat and PRS CE-22 with wide-fat neck.

On the V neck. I heard the Dean hardtail USA has a V type neck.

I can't afford a new one right now! I know I heard at some point they started meaking them fatter in the neck. Maybe the late 90s?

What do you think of this one? I need to know if it has a maple top which I want! Looks interesting and different!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...sid=p2759.l1259

I'll try not to be bias but the Hamer Studio is a fantastic guitar that is very well balance. Fret work, finish, wood is second to none. Most of all you can get one for under a $1,000.00 and its twice the guitar. I've had 10 hamers or so and i've only had one Dog and it was probly just in my head.. :lol: Good luck to ya.

In reference to you Ebay link, a tad more money and or a little time you can get one with no issues. Those are some pretty large battle scars.

Can someone tell me the thickness of the Studio? Thick as an LP? I just hope when i find one, it has as sweet and almost as big a tone as an LP. They seem thicker than say a PRS McCarty or Dean Hardtail from appearance.

(I've been trying to stay out of this thread because I'm completely non-objective when it comes to Studios :lol:)

Studios are not as thick as LP's (although I believe my '06 might be since the body is 1/4" thicker than usual). Overall body thickness at the edge is 1 5/8" with 1 1/4" being mahogany. Obviously the center is going to be thicker overall because of more maple.

I think that's more like PRS Custom thickness as opposed to McCarty thickness, but one of the resident PRS experts can chime in on that.

-Austin

Are the solid color Studios, all mahogany???

I had one and didn't sound as good as my LP or SG. I am thinking I need the maple top.

Were the necks thinner in the early to mid 90s? I heard they thickened up in late 90s.

1) Not necessarily. If you see a solid color with no body binding, solid mahogany would be a safe bet. If you see body binding then it probably has a maple top.

2) Yes, necks were generally thinner in the early-mid 90's. I think Hamer adopted their standard vintage carve in the late 90's. All the Studios I've had that have been made in the 2000's had the same beefy (but no overwhelmingly huge) vintage neck carve, but you can special order whatever you want, so it doesn't hurt to ask the seller (although I never bother since I get along fine with all of Hamer's neck carves :lol:).

-Austin

Are the solid color Studios, all mahogany???

I had one and didn't sound as good as my LP or SG. I am thinking I need the maple top.

Were the necks thinner in the early to mid 90s? I heard they thickened up in late 90s.

1) Not necessarily. If you see a solid color with no body binding, solid mahogany would be a safe bet. If you see body binding then it probably has a maple top.

2) Yes, necks were generally thinner in the early-mid 90's. I think Hamer adopted their standard vintage carve in the late 90's. All the Studios I've had that have been made in the 2000's had the same beefy (but no overwhelmingly huge) vintage neck carve, but you can special order whatever you want, so it doesn't hurt to ask the seller (although I never bother since I get along fine with all of Hamer's neck carves :lol:).

-Austin

By name, and hence specs, they standardized them 2003 thru today. The standard, default, is Vintage. Nice and thick, but not quite a baseball bat. The other, by special order but at no additional cost, is Modern. Just a tad bit thinner. You can order a custom neck by spec, but that has an upcharge. Someone posted the actual measurements on this board a while back.

In general, they are thicker from late 90s and on. I've got a couple 2001's that are pretty much like the Vintage carve.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think they are nice and full sounding like an LP....or more thin?

Hey guys, I heard on the LP forum from guys who own Hamers that the three piece Hamer neck can have problems with stability. Apparently it gives too easy and needs adjustment a lot?

Also, what are the exact year they started making the thicker neck? I hate when i see a Hamer on ebay frm the 90s like 95 or 96 but have no idea of the neck.

Actually, it seems to be more of a crapshoot during the later half of that period. I've had a 97 Studio with that slimmer neck, but have a 97 Special with a Modern-spec-type neck.

Hey guys, I heard on the LP forum from guys who own Hamers that the three piece Hamer neck can have problems with stability. Apparently it gives too easy and needs adjustment a lot?

It should be the exact opposite, but I haven't owned many guitars with one-piece necks so I couldn't say for sure.

-Austin

Do you think they are nice and full sounding like an LP....or more thin?

Also, what are the exact year they started making the thicker neck? I hate when i see a Hamer on ebay frm the 90s like 95 or 96 but have no idea of the neck.

Guys who play Les Pauls have every reason to dog Hamers. I tune one of my Hamers to a dropped B and use 12 gauge strings with NO problems. The guitar came from the factory without much back bow and I only had to adjust the truss rod ONCE in 24 years to loosen it up a tad. The neck is iron.

Gibson players all know that Hamers are as good or a bit better and half of the price.

Plus, every time someone purchases a Hamer, a Gibson somewhere goes out of tune. :lol:

It should be the exact opposite, but I haven't owned many guitars with one-piece necks so I couldn't say for sure.

-Austin

The reason Hamer does three-piece necks IS for stability. It's not like they ever skimp on wood. Studios are still generally made from One-Piece of genuine, prime Honduran mahogany. I don't think Gibson uses Honduran mahogany on anything other than the expensive Historic/Custom Shop models anymore.

BTW, I have had six Studios over the years, and have -never- had to adjust a single one of them.

hi-

Like Austin I've been trying to not be biased....BUT....I've just sold my last Gibson Les Paul (class 5 quilt) and bought my FOURTH- yes fourth Studio (well 3 are Sunbursts but same thing...)....

Gibson players will love their LP's- I did- since 94 I've owned 14 of them in total- one of them twice! They 'chunk'- they growl etc.... but I prefer HAMERS ! I had a PRS- hated it! Just not my thing- no neck binding and a longer scale....Went back to LP's.....

Bought my first Hamer in Jan / Feb this year - 91 Sunburst......and I love them. Slightly thinner body (my forearm doesn't get bruised after a night jammin or playing) the necks are more comfortable (I have skinny and the recent 07 carve)....the finish is WAY better than my LP's, even Custom & Historic LP's........and more importantly they ALL sound superb.

No problems with necks- one has 10's to 52's, one is drop-D tuned and the other two have Floyds- no problems.

I always had tuning problems with my LP's- except the one that had a headstock break...funny that, eh?

Cheers, Dave :lol:

Seems like my Hamers are always tuned sharp when I pick them up. At lunch I was playing Feyman's Future Standard that I had not touched in a couple months...it was a 1/4 step sharp out of the case. The Suhrs or my Les Pauls don't do that. I love my Hamers but I'm just sayin'. Maybe the 3 piece neck won't twist but they sure move quite a bit.

Seems like my Hamers are always tuned sharp when I pick them up. At lunch I was playing Feyman's Future Standard that I had not touched in a couple months...it was a 1/4 step sharp out of the case. The Suhrs or my Les Pauls don't do that. I love my Hamers but I'm just sayin'. Maybe the 3 piece neck won't twist but they sure move quite a bit.

Mine haven't seemed any more or less stable than any of my other brands of guitars, all of which I have had to tweak (truss-rod style) when the seasons change. Assuming I have them long enough for the seasons to change. :lol:

-Austin

Guest pirateflynn

Maybe the 3 piece neck won't twist but they sure move quite a bit.

Really? That is interesting because my guitars will sometimes go slightly sharp while at rest, too. I've always assumed that it was the strings cooling down/ tightening and not the neck moving because the action remains the same, etc.

Dave, coming from LPs...you don't find a Studio less full sounding next to an LP? I play mostly classic rock to hard rock so for me it always seems LPs rule that territory.

hi-

Like Austin I've been trying to not be biased....BUT....I've just sold my last Gibson Les Paul (class 5 quilt) and bought my FOURTH- yes fourth Studio (well 3 are Sunbursts but same thing...)....

Gibson players will love their LP's- I did- since 94 I've owned 14 of them in total- one of them twice! They 'chunk'- they growl etc.... but I prefer HAMERS ! I had a PRS- hated it! Just not my thing- no neck binding and a longer scale....Went back to LP's.....

Bought my first Hamer in Jan / Feb this year - 91 Sunburst......and I love them. Slightly thinner body (my forearm doesn't get bruised after a night jammin or playing) the necks are more comfortable (I have skinny and the recent 07 carve)....the finish is WAY better than my LP's, even Custom & Historic LP's........and more importantly they ALL sound superb.

No problems with necks- one has 10's to 52's, one is drop-D tuned and the other two have Floyds- no problems.

I always had tuning problems with my LP's- except the one that had a headstock break...funny that, eh?

Cheers, Dave :lol:

I have a total of 16 guitars / basses.

I have 7 Hamer USA Guitars

I have 1 PRS Custom 24

I have 1 Parker US NiteFly

I have 1 Carvin DC135

My Number 1 Gigging Guitar - 95 Hamer Studio

My Number 2 Gigging Guitar - 94 Hamer Studio

I am apparently somewhat biased though.

Archived