Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tolex Covering

bubs_42

Question

I bought a Tone Tubby 4x12 on Ebay that I recieved with 4 Blown Speakers. After a bunch of B.S. I'm stuck with it. So i'm going to either recone are get new TT's and cover this badboy in Checkerboard or Green to match my Mesa Stilleto. So what kind, where, and is it hard to do?

9 answers to this question

As far as tolex goes, I believe Mojotone has the best selection around that I know of. You8 can even buy a tolex swatch so that you can match your head to your cabinet. Tolex covering is probably not as easy as one thinks it is...

is a video from the Mesa Boogie factory showing their tolex processing and final assembly.

here is the link to mojotones tolex selection. I've never done it but would love to hear from someone that has...

Oh, and here's a thread detailing the re-covering of a Marshall cabinet by hand... it should prove to be VERY informative.

The vintage Sound has some unusual and hard to find vinyl coverings too.

The tolex that Mesa uses for their Stiletto cabinets is called "black taurus", the grill cloth is called "black twisted jute", it has Trac-Loc removable casters and don't forget the silver piping around the grill cloth. The pine/birch construction of the Tone Tubby cabinet should sound fairly identical to the baltic birch that Mesa uses.

Good luck.

Serial's re-tolexed a few amps - if HE can do it...

Duoverbskinfront.jpg

(This one's got REALLY thick Gatorskin tolex)

duoverb-1.jpg

(He also did the matching cab and another combo like this)

Looks like i've found Green but does anyone know where I can get checkerboard? Found it a LOPO Cabs, is there anywhere else?

I did a pretty extensive search a few months ago and IIRC LOPO was the only place I found checkerboard. If you find it elsewhere, I'd sure like to know about it, too.

I was actually looking for something larger than the LOPO 1 1/2" squares. Something closer to the 3" squares on my BCR guitar case. Maybe Greg has a lead... I do recall reading (hopefully correctly) that Tech21 used up the last of the tolex made for the cases on his birthday-present Trademark 60 and matching cab.

No luck, but the size doesn't bother me that much. The Tolex is in such great shape that I'm not going to recover afterall. But the Grill is metal so I'm going to checker the Grill. Easier and just as effective. Not to mention reversable.

Something closer to the 3" squares on my BCR guitar case. Maybe Greg has a lead... I do recall reading (hopefully correctly) that Tech21 used up the last of the tolex made for the cases on his birthday-present Trademark 60 and matching cab.

TKL (cases) was still offering the Checkerboard as an option a couple of years ago, anyway. You might want to check with them?

I've never done it, but one of my amp heads is covered in Marine Vinyl. The stuff for seat cusions in boats. Comes in a -wide- variety of colors/patterns and some is rated for extreme hi/lo temperatures (ala loading out in MN at 2 AM in the winter).

Archived