Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Bad input jack?

HoboMan

Question

The input jack on my Studio appears to be bad. The signal cuts in & out if I wiggle the guitar cord.

Normally I could just bend the contact point into position but on my studio it appears to be a completely sealed jack with no access to the contact points.

Do I need a whole new jack?

15 answers to this question

You defintely need a whole new jack if your guitar has an input jack. Go get yourself an output jack. B)

I've always replaced barrel jacks when they get flakey like that.

Are you using a cable with Switchcraft connectors? IIRC, they are a hair larger, so a cable with Switchcrafts might fix the issue.

Otherwise, if you're good with a soldering iron, let me know. I may have a spare connector laying around.

Is this your jack: http://switchcraft.com/products/jack-100b.html

Switchcraft model #151?

That's a very rugged jack. I don't think that's the problem.

Could be intermittent at the base, where the wire meets the plug of the guitar cord.

I've found that several off brands of cables have plugs that are slightly under 1/4" diameter, and also some that are under the standard length.

I would try another cable first, before replacing the jack.

Known problem cables:

Onstage branded cables - All mic, line, & guitar.

Cables with 1/4" plugs labeled CHINA on them.

That was a known issue with some earlier Studios and Artists. I have a couple of mid-90's ones that did it. One was so loose that the cable would fall right out.

Hamer sourced a Switchcraft part that fixed the issue. I just called Kim Keller and got a couple for free. I don't know if that's still the deal, but it's worth a call.

Veach: I'm using an old Carvin guitar cable and I'm very good with a soldering iron.

HSB0531: Not sure of the exact model jack but mine doesn't look like that. It is completely enclosed and I don't have access to the contact points. If I did I would just try bending them. I have two 1993 studios and only one does it. I don't think it's my guitar cable because I haven't had any issues on other guitars.

tomteriffic - That appears to be what's happening. The cable sits real loose in the jack. It will fall out about 1/8". Maybe I'll make a call.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

HSB0531: Not sure of the exact model jack but mine doesn't look like that. It is completely enclosed and I don't have access to the contact points. If I did I would just try bending them.

Can you paste a picture of the jack?

HSB0531: Not sure of the exact model jack but mine doesn't look like that. It is completely enclosed and I don't have access to the contact points. If I did I would just try bending them.

Can you paste a picture of the jack?

I'm at work right now. I will post one later.

HSB0531: Not sure of the exact model jack but mine doesn't look like that. It is completely enclosed and I don't have access to the contact points. If I did I would just try bending them. Can you paste a picture of the jack?

Like this (G&L) or this (Stew-Mac)?

jack_body.jpg1819_1lg.jpg

They're called "barrel jacks." Notice the knurled collar. That's all you have for unscrewing the old jack out of the body. If you don't use the dedicated tool for that operation, you risk beating the wood finish all to hell around the jack. Stew-Mac used to carry that tool but I didn't find it on their website today.

HSB0531: Not sure of the exact model jack but mine doesn't look like that. It is completely enclosed and I don't have access to the contact points. If I did I would just try bending them. Can you paste a picture of the jack?

Like this (G&L) or this (Stew-Mac)?

jack_body.jpg1819_1lg.jpg

They're called "barrel jacks." Notice the knurled collar. That's all you have for unscrewing the old jack out of the body. If you don't use the dedicated tool for that operation, you risk beating the wood finish all to hell around the jack. Stew-Mac used to carry that tool but I didn't find it on their website today.

Yeah, looks like those.

The Switchcraft 151's are actually very robust.

I have one in my 28 year old Standard with no problems.

I've seen them in use for 30 years with no failures yet.

I also worked at a speaker company in the 80's that even used them for speaker jacks with no failures.

NOTE: I would never recommend this be done.

What can definately cause a problem is an undersized plug being used to mate with a 151.

I think the failures you are describing were due to a change in Hamers' suppliers with a different but similar part to the Switchcraft 151.

See tomterrific's post above.

The only thing I can think would cause consistent failures in a 151 is that they were using "made in China" Switchcraft 151's.

Or they got a bad production run.

Archived