Hamer Fan Club Message Center

? for the R. Nielson Insiders

At Sundays show Rick brought out what from a distance appeared to be an original Explorer. He was particularly proud of this, moving center stage and holding it over his head and pointing at it. Is there a story behind that git?

Also he closed with Dream Police and of course the infamous check Standard. Was it the original or have there been new generations of that guitar?

Tell us more about the first one and as far as I know there has only been one Enloa. Rick does own a '58 Explorer, more than one I bet.

Me WANT ONE!!!!! icon8.gif:blink::lol::blink::blink:

On the Gibson Explorers, I read in an older article somewhere that Rick owned 6 of the original Korina Explorers. I am not sure that is true. In Guitars of Stars by Bill Rich, Rick has three in there #8 -4549 and #81008 along with a split Vee headstock Explorer #8-2118. Rick also owns at least (2) Two '58 Korina Vees and Lonnie Mac's Red '59.

I had thought he had quit touring withe most of the vintage stuff as it was getting expensive to insure. I saw Cheap Trick about two weeks ago and Rick did not have any vintage guitars out at that show.

Batman is correct, Rick still plays Enola #0126 on stage every night unless it is being sent to a show, repair or special event. Hamer needs to build Rick an New Enola and the original needs to retire to Casa de Hamerica.

Hamerica

The explorer you saw was most likely the one we did as a copy of his favorite real 59 Explorer. He found a trashed 76 (real) explorer and asked us to make it look like the other for touring. You can tell it from the real one quickly because it's got a double cream in the bridge vs the cover on the real one.

rickexp.jpg

rpm_9214-1.jpg

The explorer you saw was most likely the one we did as a copy of his favorite real 59 Explorer. He found a trashed 76 (real) explorer and asked us to make it look like the other for touring. You can tell it from the real one quickly because it's got a double cream in the bridge vs the cover on the real one.

rickexp.jpg

rpm_9214-1.jpg

Thats cool, I have seen Rick play that guitar live.

Thanks Roy for the confirmation. I was pretty sure that Rick wasn't taking the real thing out tour anymore.

Hamerica

Thanks Roy for the confirmation. I was pretty sure that Rick wasn't taking the real thing out tour anymore.

Hamerica

Yep other than the Hamers the only "Old" guitars he has out with him are the Explorer shown above and a 1968 Les Paul converted to look like a burst. All the other Old looking Les Pauls are historics aged by us except one Tokai Love Rock (naturally aged). I wish he would retire the old Hamers because they are really showing their age now and I'm hate to see Enola get damaged more than she is already.

Guest big steve

Another git of note he played was a les paul burst with a hockeystick headstock, very interesting. Also a yellow hamer with a perfectly square body and some kind of graphic. Anybody know what this was?

the lester was one of the custom jobs made for aldo nova,if i remember correctley,rick told me he bought that guitar in nashville.

the yellow one sounds like the "rockford" guitar that has the graphics from the rockford cd cover on it.

I saw him here in Austin two weeks ago. He certainly tours with a LOT of stuff... I had a blast checking it all out.

That Les with the explorer headstock was sweet. He also took out the checkerboard 5-neck... for about 30 seconds!

Another git of note he played was a les paul burst with a hockeystick headstock, very interesting. Also a yellow hamer with a perfectly square body and some kind of graphic. Anybody know what this was?

the lester was one of the custom jobs made for aldo nova,if i remember correctley,rick told me he bought that guitar in nashville.

the yellow one sounds like the "rockford" guitar that has the graphics from the rockford cd cover on it.

Yes, you would be correct. The Les with the Hockey sticks were made for Aldo Nova. I had heard that there were 10 of those made. Not sure on the specs though.

The yellow Bo Diddly styled Hamer is the Rockford guitar. Again another strange guitar from Hamer for a guy with a checkered past. Has the band members in characters. Waiting for USA to do a promo with "Characters Welcome" featuring Cheap Trick.

Hamerica

Yes, you would be correct. The Les with the Hockey sticks were made for Aldo Nova. I had heard that there were 10 of those made. Not sure on the specs though.

Hamerica

I almost bought that LP with the Explorer headstock from Gruhn's close to 15 years ago. I was on the phone with somebody from the shop about working a trade for a Rickenbacker and a Firebird for that guitar, and after a week or so, never heard back. When I called the guy back, he said that he was sorry but somebody had already claimed it. I still have that catalog around with the guy's name, the cash price and what I would have had to come up with beyond the trade value of my guitars.

Fast forward 3-4 years, and I saw RN with one. Turns out it was the exact same guitar too.

Archived