Hamer Fan Club Message Center

FS: 1975 Ibanez Destroyer

The original ads in the '70s called it the "Destroyer". I've got several of those around.

The original ads in the '70s called it the "Destroyer". I've got several of those around.

I just came back because I remembered someone sent me an ad that said that, maybe it was you... I can't find it though...

But the ad was still pretty clever: EXPLORE the Destoyer.

Guitar Player Magazine - December 1975

2729325523_33b0086afa.jpg

You learn something new everyday. I didn't know these were "solid korina" bodies. I thought they were Sen - a Japanese wood. Not African wood.

Anyone know what the dealeo is here?

You Bastard! :D

I hope it isn't raining on your Tech 21 (that I haven't sent a tracking # for but might already be in your hands or on the front step... :) ).

Nice guitar!

Z

:lol::P:huh:

BubbaVO - all of the Ibanez and Greco models that I've seen have been multi-lam ash with a "Korina" finish. It's possible that some of the early ones were Korina, but even the unserialed early ones I've seen have been the Sen/Ash laminate bodies.

This is one of my "must own someday" guitars that I've wanted for 30+ years!

Guitar Player Magazine - December 1975

2729325523_33b0086afa.jpg

You learn something new everyday. I didn't know these were "solid korina" bodies. I thought they were Sen - a Japanese wood. Not African wood.

Anyone know what the dealeo is here?

NOT solid Korina as far as I know. Sen (Ash) wood is what was used, again, AFAIK.

Considerng the Ash/Maple content, these things can have a very snappy, explosive attack that lends a distinct sonic signature. With the PAF'ish pickups mine sounded very crisp and clear on top and it really cut through everything unlike almost anything I have owned. That was my experience, anyway. Great, great guitars.

Z

Officially sold. Sniff sniff...

I'm gonna miss this one.

My '75 Destroyer is possibly the one guitar I've owned that I regret moving along. Pickups were squeaky as he'll af high volume and gain, but I miss that guitar!

NOT solid Korina as far as I know. Sen (Ash) wood is what was used, again, AFAIK.

I've owned and played plenty, and not one was Korina, they were all Japanese ash (you can tell by the grain). The one in the ad, doesn't look at all like ash though, it looks like bleached mahogany, or Korina... maybe they made a couple like that, but I've never seen one.

Great looking, playing and sounding guitars! George Lynch, Eddie Van Halen, Ace Frehley and I all agree! Someone is going to enjoy this pristine example.

I've owned and played plenty, and not one was Korina, they were all Japanese ash (you can tell by the grain). The one in the ad, doesn't look at all like ash though, it looks like bleached mahogany, or Korina... maybe they made a couple like that, but I've never seen one.

According to an interview years ago in Vintage Guitar with Jeff Hasselberger. Who was head of Ibanez USA at the time had mentioned that the first few Destroyers (less than a dozen) were in fact bleached mahogany.

I have actually held/played mahogany Destroyer, back in 86. A guy in my dorm scored one. I have a Sen Destroyer. So the visual difference in wood was obvious to me.

A Mahog Destroyer on Ibanez Collectors.

Archived