Hamer Fan Club Message Center

New pots, larger shafts, need advice

benjammin308

Question

I'm replacing all the cheap pots in an Epiphone with Dimarzio parts and the new pots have a larger diameter shaft. Any suggestions for opening up the holes in the guitar without really messing things up?

7 answers to this question

It may not be BCR/RoyB approved, but what I've done in the past is to masking tape over/around the holes and use a tapered reamer (coming in from the back) to get the holes to size without overdoing it or chipping up the finish. Go slow and smooth.

Wow, that reads kind of obscene there. :lol:

It may not be BCR/RoyB approved, but what I've done in the past is to masking tape over/around the holes and use a tapered reamer (coming in from the back) to get the holes to size without overdoing it or chipping up the finish. Go slow and smooth.

Wow, that reads kind of obscene there. :lol:

thats about it. Hardware stores have a drill reamer for about $5. tape it up, I would go thru paint side first (top) with slow even pressure until orifice size is achieved.

I hope you have better luck than I did with Dimarzio pots.

Anything would be better than what was in the guitar. I figured I have Dimarzio pickups so I'll use their pots, even though they were kind of pricey. And they were the only pull pots at Musician's Friend. Maybe I should ask you guys for a good source....

Archived