Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Custom Chap' and Washburn USA MG120

Here're a couple that I think I have to let go, in a case of just too many.

Still kind of deciding....

I picked up the Washburn for $500 awhile back and have found that it's not a great fit for me. It's a Grover Jackson design from about '94 or '95, made in their Chicago factory and acquired by a shop near me from an Aerosmith warehouse. That's the story. You'll never find a pic of Perry or Whitford playing this axe, though. Absolutely NO wear on it. Wilkinson trem' with locking Gotoh tuners - keeps pretty good tune, for a non-locking system. The maple top is beautiful. Mahogany body. The neck is big and oil finished. It's one of those you have to remove to access the truss rod. Can't reach it with a ball point hex key. This design is the only Washburn guitar I ever really liked...so, I had to try.

DSCF0844.jpg

DSCF0843.jpg

DSCF0840.jpg

DSCF0839.jpg

I don't know what to ask for the Chap'... Kim Keller told me it's probably a custom, with the cutaways scalloped on the front and the 2-boomer'-with-side-dots inlay. The neck is a 3-piece shredder shape and the 'board is ebony. There's a ding in the face, to the right of the middle pickup. It's about the length of a dime and shows a little of the wood. A hairline finish crack has come out of it, to the right and near the edge. Hard to photograph. No extra charge for the medieval dragon that's covering it. There are some dings on the backside, bottom edge - also hard to photograph, as they don't break the paint. Some very small dings along the side of the neck. The other wear is visible in these shots. The Floyd is a replacement, courtesy of Mr. Keller.

DSCF0851.jpg

DSCF0860.jpg

DSCF0872.jpg

DSCF0873.jpg

DSCF0871.jpg

DSCF0881.jpg

Any ideas about pricing for this one? It's not outrageously unique, but it might ought to go for a more than a typical example of a Chap' from the same period... Lemme know what you think. Questions, too.

Thanks.

Skrawk!!

It looks like the wood on that Chap is alder, which would make sense because it basically looks like the Chap version of a Californian Deluxe. Which would definitely make it a rare bird AFAIK.

-Austin

Crickets chirping...hmmm.

So I checked the sticky guidelines for this section.

Well, as I said, I'm not sure what to ask for the Chaparral. I certainly didn't have an auction in mind...

but I was thinking about $800.

Is that high?

• 1 month later...

Stupid Question time:

Why is that not a Centaura Deluxe?

...EMGs, 2 Boomers on ebony with side , peghead not angled back (which is why the string bar is there, right?)

Whereas the Chap has steeply angled peghead, right?

I'm not good at telling the difference between full-size and down-size bodies without something to compare against, though...

Killer frikkin' Washburn. Is that for sale as well?

Yes indeedy! I've got in mind $500 + shipping, what, $20 or $25...

550 for the Chap???

I'm thinking I'd like to get around $700 + shipping to make the Chap' fly. I hope that's reasonable.

Stupid Question time:

Why is that not a Centaura Deluxe?

...EMGs, 2 Boomers on ebony with side , peghead not angled back (which is why the string bar is there, right?)

Whereas the Chap has steeply angled peghead, right?

I'm not good at telling the difference between full-size and down-size bodies without something to compare against, though...

All the Centaura's I've seen have a narrow, Strat-style body. This one's broad and has long horns...not alot of "waist", as typical of the different Chap's I've seen.

I also forgot that the Centaura had the boost switch.

And the knob/switch configuration is different on a Centaura.

Still, it seems to be a Chap/Centaura hybrid...

Is it bolt or set-neck? I didn't see it mentioned, and the pictures don't show it...

Is it bolt or set-neck? I didn't see it mentioned, and the pictures don't show it...

It seems like a bolt-on to me. It's a CHap body and neck but w/ different inlays (and the scallops) so I don't see the similarities to a Centaura like you do. YMMV, and will! :lol:

It seems like a bolt-on to me. It's a CHap body and neck but w/ different inlays (and the scallops) so I don't see the similarities to a Centaura like you do. YMMV, and will! :lol:

eh, I'm not trying to insist on anything...I'm still practicing/learning my identification skills.

The thing that makes me keep thinking "Centaura" is the side dots on the fretboard and the non-tilt headstock. To the best of my extremely limited knowledge, those are elements found only on Centauras.

But then, all bets are off when Hamer agrees to custom elements...

Oh, I know you're not insisting on anything I just said that I don't see it the same way that's all. My 89 Chap Custom has the string bar on the headstock but is defintely tilt back so I don't think you can go off that. I believe those inlays were even seen on some Cali's so it's def. not just a Centaura thing.

And, you're right w/ Hamer it's often hard to tell! :wub::lol:

It seems like a bolt-on to me. It's a CHap body and neck but w/ different inlays (and the scallops) so I don't see the similarities to a Centaura like you do. YMMV, and will! :D

eh, I'm not trying to insist on anything...I'm still practicing/learning my identification skills.

The thing that makes me keep thinking "Centaura" is the side dots on the fretboard and the non-tilt headstock. To the best of my extremely limited knowledge, those are elements found only on Centauras.

But then, all bets are off when Hamer agrees to custom elements...

• 3 weeks later...

The Washburn just arrived.

In a word...flawless! A fine piece of work this is. Very happy I am.

Dano. Good job meng. Thank you.

Jim

Excellent! And very glad you're digging on it, J'. Hya like that new guitar smell? Oil finished necks have their charms, dunnay?

Cheers!

Archived