5 replies to this topic

#1 j3ff

j3ff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:02 AM

Hi guys (and girls:)

I'm changing p90s on my 92' Special. I went with Buds Guitars p90, they are low vintage wind (neck 6.6, bridge 7.6)
Probably I'll stick with original wiring for now...but I am considering other options..I don't have any experience with wiring...so i did my research on forums...and other online resources.

I came across Hamer and SD wiring diagrams, they look pretty much the same, the only difference is, if I'm getting it right, that in Hamer style master tone is wired on center leg, while SD wires first leg.
Can anyone tell me what will be the difference?

Posted Image
Posted Image

As for pots and caps:
Hamer is using 3x hamer 500k pots + .01 uF cap, for both humbucker and p90 2vol 1 tone configuration right?

...guys at RS GuitarWorks have few options/recommendations:
a) 3x 500k + .022 cap (Explorer®/Flying V)
b) 1x 500k (volume) +1x 250k (tone) + .022 cap (Les Paul Jr.) ...I would add 2nd 500k pot for volume of course
c) 2x 500k (volume) + 1x250k (tone) + .015 cap (Hamer kit)
d) ...they also recommend Treble Tamer Kit for p90, it is 2v 2t config...but it could be modified for 2v 1t i guess...that would have 1x 500k (neck) + 1x 300k (bridge) + ether .015 or .022 cap for tone

With pickups, wiring, post and caps it all comes down to your own personal preferences
...but I would like to hear what you guys think about it...what would be your choice for a low wind p90s?

tnx

Edited by j3ff, 30 September 2010 - 06:14 AM.

#2 j3ff

j3ff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:17 AM

Here is the answer i got from hamer customer service, as u can see they recommend another option, lets call it e)

'' http://www.hamerfanc...urstarchtop.pdf. (wiring is the same)
The pot values would need to be changed to 250K 65/35 audio taper and the cap value is somewhere around .047mfd.

Joe Bardey
Distribution Sales Administrator
Fender Musical Instruments Europe ''

...your thoughts are still welcome!!

Edited by j3ff, 13 October 2010 - 10:19 AM.

#3 veatch

veatch

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 6,111 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:43 AM

Hey, J3ff, welcome to the forum.

As far as the cap placement, good eye. Either will work and work just the same: You're simply changing whether the cap is before or after the pot in the circuit, and both are electronically the same.

As far as low wind P90s, i really like the Fralins and Lollars. Really can't go wrong with either one.

For high wind, Rios kick all sorts of arse.

For giggles, the link below might be helpful. Don't judge the playing too harshly: The peanut head that did this is a complete hack, but he is a snappy dresser and has a fine, fine crew cut.

P90 Cork Sniffing...

sig.jpg

#4 j3ff

j3ff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

I all ready bought budz p90...and while waiting for them to arrive I'm thinking about electronics :lol:

...by ''what would be your choice for a low wind p90s?'' i meant choice off pot/cap values

tnx for the tone cap info

#5 RoyB

RoyB

Inner Circle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:42 PM

I all ready bought budz p90...and while waiting for them to arrive I'm thinking about electronics :lol:

...by ''what would be your choice for a low wind p90s?'' i meant choice off pot/cap values

tnx for the tone cap info

You have not given the most important info and that's what tone are you going for. All our kits you listed sound different, and we don't recommend the treble tamer for P-90s we only say it works well in bright guitars or with P90s if you want a darker tone (ala Mississippi Queen). I think you need to try it with the stock parts to see how the pickups sound in the guitar and adjust from there. Oh and all 250k pots and a .047 cap in an all mahogany guitar with P90s would be MUDDY MUDDY MUDDY.
IPB Image

#6 Psychebilly

Psychebilly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:59 AM

Not this Muddy...

Posted Image