Hamer Fan Club Message Center

History of Daytona

Mr Y

Hi guys!

Interested in the history of creation Daytona. Tell me, if anyone knows - why Hamer started making model Daytona, and why have decided to cease production? Can anyone knows any interesting facts about everything that is related to Daytona.

Some members here were with the company when the Daytona and T-51 started production, but they stopped by March of 1997 when the company moved to CT. Not 100% sure if any others were assembled and/or finished at the new location. I've been told that that wasn't the case. Hamer stopped making bolt-ons in 1997.

serial, Thanks buddy!

Maybe someone else knows any facts of creation and production models Daytona? Where else can I find more information? Perhaps the Hamer Fan Club, I think it is such a place.

Here is the second Hamer Daytona prototype.

DSCN0135.jpg

2 piece ash body, one piece maple neck

DSCN0136.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

hand made trem cavity cover. The rear tummy rout is different from production models.

DSCN0011.jpg

note the odd serial number indicating a woodshop completion date for the neck at 08/05/1993

The $800 Special was a hit at the time. So was the "Modern Vintage" concept. Kaman marketing (NOT Hamer) thought Strat and Tele copies in the $800 list range would also be a hit. The only problem was that Hamer built them like they were $1500 guitars. Originally they were ash bodies/maple necks only. Rosewood fingerboards and alder bodies were added later. I have a factory review I'll dig up and post.

Here is an internal review of the model in early 1994. Usually the guys in the shop would spend a few minutes with a new model and give a review. As you can see, some were not content building Fender copies.

HamerDaytonafactoryreview.jpg

The model lasted until the move in April 1997. I remember doing a T51 Esquire for Rick N in New Hartford but I can't recall any Daytonas built in Connecticut.

Here is an internal review of the model in early 1994. Usually the guys in the shop would spend a few minutes with a new model and give a review. As you can see, some were not content building Fender copies.

Wow that's awesome! Do you have any of those for any other models?

-Austin

I agree with their senitments...it's a copy & thus unoriginal, the headstock & logo don't look right on that model. It screams "hey me too!". Not a Daytona, T51 or T62 fan. Jol was absolutely correct when he said many others do the strat thing so much better than Hamer.

Jol was absolutely correct when he said many others do the strat thing so much better than Hamer.

Disagree. I'll take a T-62 over *anything* from the other bolt-on builders. I have played some uber-high end S style instruments that will smack the Hamer bolts around, but I have yet to play anything under 2K (used) that can touch a T-62.

Jol was absolutely correct when he said many others do the strat thing so much better than Hamer.

Disagree. I'll take a T-62 over *anything* from the other bolt-on builders. I have played some uber-high end S style instruments that will smack the Hamer bolts around, but I have yet to play anything under 2K (used) that can touch a T-62.

+1000 , my beater daytona might be the finest playing and sounding guitar i have ever owned , not a strat on this planet that could touch it as far as i'm concerned................... :o:o:)

+1000 , my beater daytona might be the finest playing and sounding guitar i have ever owned , not a strat on this planet that could touch it as far as i'm concerned................... :o:o:)

I'm actually scared to buy another Daytona just because the one that I sold was just so good. The T62 that I just bought sound F-ing fantastic. They are not "True" Tele or Strats they were more modern and sound and play that way.

I'm actually scared to buy another Daytona just because the one that I sold was just so good. The T62 that I just bought sound F-ing fantastic. They are not "True" Tele or Strats they were more modern and sound and play that way.

Piling on here. I've had a boatload of Strats - I play a Daytona.

My Hamer Calis are probably the most troublesome superstrats I own. Nothing in my stable needs more adjustment than the freaking Hamers. Bridge screws stripping out, ebony boarded necks shifting with the seasons and on 1 guitar...sinking inlays. Meanwhile that Anderson from 98 needs no adjustment. When Jol made that statement he was specifically referring to Tom's guitars. Thank GOD the set necks don't exhibit this behavior. Well there was that one Standard...

Inspite of it all I love the guitars and no they aren't for sale :)

Were the bolt-on models tooling and templates sent from IL to Korea for the Hamer-Slammer Series?

Somehow that sticks in the back of my brain, but can't find a reference.

No. That didn't happen. I seem to remember a guy sellling an import claiming a story like that.

Wow that's awesome! Do you have any of those for any other models?

-Austin

It is awesome. Makes you feel really good about QC don't it?

Do you have any of those for any other models?

I will see what I can dig up. We didn't do those all the time but there was a period of time (94ish until Frank left for CT (96?)) when we could sign up for time with a new model and give our review. I may have one for the Standard when it was reintroduced as well as the Diablo II or something.

What is the difference between a T-62 and a Daytona? A painted headstock?

Different animal altogether. The necks are built completely differently. The Daytona is built like a Strat with a flatter fingerboard. A T62 is not a straight up copy. IIRC, the body is smaller, the fingerboard is pau ferro, the controls are different, rear loaded eq, etc.

Archived