Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's the Hamer of watches?

Guitarseh

Question

Looking for something classy but not necessarily classic. Somewhere in the hundreds of dollars max, not thousands. Nice enough for working with suits, but tough enough to wear everyday.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

• Answers 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing I can think of in the sub $1000 range.

But my pick would be an Omega Seamaster Professional.

Yes! I love my Omega Seamaster. I work in an industrial setting and it takes a beating but keeps perfect time and the face looks brand new.

Buy something vintage. I have a 1970 OMEGA that looks awesome. It keeps the time with a tiny pitchfork, so it always rings in a low tone (don't know which though). One of the first battery watches ever made.

Early 70's designed watches, or late 60's usually have a very cool design to them - if they were considered "modern" at the time.

Edit: Googled for a pick and I see these are not so cheap anymore. 425 UK Pounds, yees. I paid about 150 for mine 10 years ago. Here is a pick of it:

omega-000.jpg

"

Omega f300hz steel “sandpile” case with steel bracelet.

The case is heavy and turret shaped, the glass is mineral glass and not plastic.

The f300 is a nice example of a much sort after electronic tuning fork watch. The chunky 1970’s

design gives this watch a real distinctive look.

The movement is an Omega Calibre No.1250, making it a

date display model, the same engineer that invented the

Bulova Accutrons - Max Hetzel, also designed these.

In 1972 the worlds first hand held calculator goes on sale.

In Britain a miners strike causes the government to declare

state of emergency. Jane Fonda visits North Vietnam. The

Film “The Godfather” is released. Denmark joins the EU.

The Watergate scandal unfolds in Washington. What were

You doing the year this Omega was made?

"

Titoni. Unbelievable quality that they can barely give away (sound familiar).

http://www.titoni.ch/en.html

I have two Cosmo Kings. Both have lock down crowns, sapphire crystals, ETA movements. About $500 USD each. They are equal to my Breitling Superocean in terms of quality fpr about 1/4 of the price.

Nothing I can think of in the sub $1000 range.

But my pick would be an Omega Seamaster Professional.

That's what I wear. Get the automatic and you'll never have to replace the battery :)

Sub $1K, I think you can get a Movado automatic (but it's been a while since I priced them, so I can't swear to that).

Survey says...Movado Temo (the classic "Museum" watch style). Birthday present (a few days early) from my wife. Slightly swankier than my usual idiom, but once I put it on, we were both like "that's the one." 10-15 years ago I would have been going for one of the cosmonaut watches, but I've changed with the times :)

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Mark

+1: Impeccably high quality professional performance and durability for hundreds--not thousands--of dollars. And nobody looks down their nose at a TAG Heuer.

brad-tag-heuer.jpg

Oris have a good rep, 100 years of history and are all mechanical Swiss movements - also sponsor the Williams F1 team. I believe that they would fit into the budget as well. Well respected and slightly different to the norm.

Mind you, I dont even wear a watch - use the clock on my phone!

+1: Impeccably high quality professional performance and durability for hundreds--not thousands--of dollars. And nobody looks down their nose at a TAG Heuer.

Consider me a nobody - but I think their kind of common? Pretty much every preowned watch dealer I've had a butchers at has a glut of Tags - quartz and otherwise - but maybe only 2 or 3 ceramic Rados that look like nothing else out there...

As I mentioned I don't wear a watch at the moment - but I'm starting to get silly about window shopping and whats worth my money for something well made, not necessarily the norm - bit more unusual, and with some credibility with someone who actually knows what their looking at.... that kind of thing - you know?

If the Hamer comparison is valid versus watches - then Tag isn't it - everybody knows what they are and what they stand for - but they're soooo ubiquitous - in my uninformed, HO.

Cheers,

B

51chft0rHhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just have a Citizen BJ7000-52E (lists around $400, sells around $250). It's solar and will still run 180 days in a drawer. It tells two different time zones which I need as I travel a lot. It's taken a bit of a beating and still looks new, I can't scratch the mineral lens. The Hamer of watches? Nah, it's common, but looks cool and it works really well... more of an Ibanez... but then again, no resale, so maybe it IS a Hamer.

Whatever you choose if you want to maintain resale value, and have style, get a true Swiss automatic winder, not a battery or quartz from elsewhere.

Hamilton automatic watches are all sky high in price now. The idea of not having batteries makes sense, but the watch must be worn regularly. What makes the auto-wind function more valuable?

For the fun of it I bought a used Timex automatic on eBay for $5.00. If it is worn for a week it will gain ten minutes. Reading the reviews of new Timex automatics in the $200 range they also have a problem of gaining time.

For the fun of it I bought a used Timex automatic on eBay for $5.00. If it is worn for a week it will gain ten minutes. Reading the reviews of new Timex automatics in the $200 range they also have a problem of gaining time.

I'm no expert on watch accuracy, but the most accurate wrist watch I have ever owned is a $20 Casio Illuminator from Target. Gains about 3 seconds per month. Not bad in my book.

Consumer Reports did an accuracy test on watches way back, from silly expensive ones to a $9 Batman watch at Walmart... the Batman watch was the most accurate. Specially when worn at all times, it seems the change of temperature when taking an LCD watch off and on has some minor effect. So you don't spend serious money on a watch for accuracy, you do it for the cool factor (or not).

51chft0rHhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just have a Citizen BJ7000-52E (lists around $400, sells around $250). It's solar and will still run 180 days in a drawer. It tells two different time zones which I need as I travel a lot. It's taken a bit of a beating and still looks new, I can't scratch the mineral lens. The Hamer of watches? Nah, it's common, but looks cool and it works really well... more of an Ibanez... but then again, no resale, so maybe it IS a Hamer.

I work for Citizen here in the UK.

P

Archived