Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Long overdue Tube amp pole

sirDaniel

What do you PLAY LIVE WITH?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest teefus2

no debate here. the valvetech hayseed teefus custom goes to 80% of the gigs, the rivera bm60 head goes to the rest. my biggest debate is which speakers and how many to take.

All my plug-in (AC-powered) amps are tube: Epiphone 10, Silvertone 1482, Trace Elliot Velocette, Top Hat Club Deluxe, and Mesa DC-10.

But I've picked up a couple of battery-powered portables -- the Roland MicroCube and the Electro-Harmonix Freedom Amp.

For pure tone the tubers rule, but the Roland makes a nice front end to the tube amps, and the Freedom Amp sounds sort of edgey/tubey, can go really loud, has good bottom end, and I can take it anywhere, mostly to the back deck. Also makes a good jazz amp with my Gretsch archtop. I consider it the ultimate orch. pit/coffee house amp--it'd fit easily under your chair.

Dan,

Quit wasting your time with these meaningless polls and respond to Bruce's MPLS Jam post.

They make amps without tubes? :rolleyes:

Right now running a (SS) Sansamp stomp box and (Tube) Tube King into an all tube Ampeg Jet.... not sure where that puts me... ha ha ha Little of both I guess...

Well, 2 out of 3 parts of your signal chain are tubed, so you're at least becoming a tube guy.

BTW, I was in Guitarville yesterday, and I was stunned to see that the list price on the Ampeg Jet II R has jumped to $629! I'm glad we were able to work out such a good deal. I'm glad you're playing tubes, and can't wait to hear you play again.

Have you been able to crank it yet? When you dime that li'l Ampeg, it goes pretty loud!

I don't gig. I'm relegated to doing open jams only. When I host one, it's my gear that gets used so tube amps all the way. When I go to one, I use the house gear and make do with whatever's there. I recently went to one where I plugged into a Fender Roc Pro half-stack, which is solid state. I'm going to one tonight that I've never been to, so I have no idea what to expect. So in my situation, I challenge myself to get my tone no matter what circuitry.

Right now running a (SS) Sansamp stomp box and (Tube) Tube King into an all tube Ampeg Jet.... not sure where that puts me... ha ha ha Little of both I guess...

Well, 2 out of 3 parts of your signal chain are tubed, so you're at least becoming a tube guy.

BTW, I was in Guitarville yesterday, and I was stunned to see that the list price on the Ampeg Jet II R has jumped to $629! I'm glad we were able to work out such a good deal. I'm glad you're playing tubes, and can't wait to hear you play again.

Have you been able to crank it yet? When you dime that li'l Ampeg, it goes pretty loud!

hahaha Tube Guy..... well partly...

I really don't care what the compnents are as long as what comes out of the cabinet and the feel / reaction are cool.. that's all that matters to me...

And honestly... haven't got it past 4 ... that that was at gig volume... hahahaha

Yea.. thanks for the deal... I'm playing the shit out of it!

Solid State is Solid Shit.

>Solid State is Solid Shit.<

That's pretty funny. I've played vintage Fenders my entire life (well, they weren't vintage when I got them!LOL!!) and my live rig is a Tech 21 Trademark 60 with a Boss GT-3 in front of it. Pure solid state - and it sounds KILLER! It reacts to volume and picking changes as any tube amp would. And will do it every time, regardless of volume, temperature, voltage/amperage variances, etc,etc,etc.

The new solid state stuff works (I wouldn't have believed it either!!) - and without reliability issues. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

The only SS amp I've ever played live was a Kustom tuck'n'roll back in the 70s'. Nasty 60 hz hum. Didn't keep it for long. Have not tried any new production SS. Really not even interested.

Although I've not used it live, I'll give a nod to the Trademark 60. I'd prefer it a lot more if the British channel was more controllable. Mine distorts even with the gain all the way down. I play hard, and will not turn the volume down on the guitar. Why do guitars even have volume controls?

Anyway, as soon as I find a TopHat, the Trademark is for sale if anybody is interested.

Been using a Trademark 60 since back when everyone hated them.

This weekend, I am bringing a Kustom 36 Coupe with me atotry for a set, so I'll be hitting both sides.

Won't that be like jumping up and down on concrete when it could have been bed springs? :rolleyes:

There is nothing a good tube amp cannot do! The only advantage I see of having a none tube amp is that they're "sometimes" more reliable and less hassell to deal with...sounds the same everytime you turn it on. Also I guess they're good if you got a lot of effects going on and what not...

#1 for gigs for a long time was a Mesa MkIV Combo......until my shoulder & back screamed eeeeEEEEENUFFFFFFFFF !!! Its sooooooo damn heavy, and I'm gettin so damn old. I sold it, very stupid on my part (you'd think I had a brain tumor or something), it was a great amp, did everything I needed but it also ruined my golf game. I should have thought it thru better and acquired a head cab for the chassis and 2x12 or 4x10 speaker cab.......or shortened my backswing. Dumb, but too late, the amp's long gone. I tried a Mesa DC5 for a while. Very cool looking butterscotch crocodile, but we don't play loud enough for it to get into its best operating range.

Since then it has been primarily the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Ltd (solid maple cab, upgraded speaker, changed the 12ax7's to 12ay7's, slightly more civilized beast than the std HRD, got it cheap at a "scratch & dent" sale). Occasionaly the Matchless Clubman gets some gig time at friendly taverns only, no chicken wire. The piezos (Duotone or Warmoth w/Graphtech) always go straight to the PA.

If someone has a Mesa MkIV head they want to unload cheap, please feel free to contact me. I can help you out. ;-)

Noonan

I voted both but Turdus now has my TM60, I would gig another in a heartbeat. My gig amps are my trusty mesa MKI reissue head and Bogner 410 cab, or my Carr Rambler, or the recently added '77 Fender Deluxe reverb, the deluxe is just vicous sounding, very bluesy and fat. I also gig about 30% of the time direct w/ a Mesa VTwin pedal into the board, tonight it'll be VTwin into those weirdo Bose sticks

Archived