Hamer Fan Club Message Center

.....So I have a Bogner Shiva showing up tomorrow

Right On Dude! I have a Bogner Cosma Shiva, which is the first 100 or so ever built. Love it.

Great Cleans and wonderful Drive. What year is your amp and what are you going to run it through?

I played Mike's. I may have to buy one myself!

I had the EL-34 version, so ymmv. Great cleans, and gawd could it roar.

Had a pro-repair tech (30 years at motorola, etc.) who branched into repair/building amps tell me that it was the best built PCB-based amp he'd ever seen. Thick and solid pcb boards, nice thick trace runs, great soldering, and high quality components.

I'll be going to it from a Mesa Boogie triple rectifier so I'm hopeing that it has enough gain to do modern rock, now I know it's not going to have as much gain as a recto but I don't run the gain on the recto past 12-1'oclock anyway.

I also have a Zvex box or rock on the way so I imagine between it and a maxon tube screamer I can get the tones I need.

I have a feeling it's going to sound huge threw my Tone Tubby loaded recto 4-12 cab!!!!!!

You guys are not helping the wait!!!

I'm meeting the guy around 4 to pick it up and as Tom Petty sang the waiting is the hardest part, I haven't gas'ed for a new amp in a long time, the gas pains are kicking in big time today!!!!

So do you guys think the 6L6 shiva is gonna make me happy in the gain department ?

You guys are not helping the wait!!!

I'm meeting the guy around 4 to pick it up and as Tom Petty sang the waiting is the hardest part, I haven't gas'ed for a new amp in a long time, the gas pains are kicking in big time today!!!!

So do you guys think the 6L6 shiva is gonna make me happy in the gain department ?

Ok, so the 6L6 has a more American Rock/Overdrive tone, while the EL34 have a more British sound. The 6L6 probably has a better clean tone though. I believe you will really enjoy the tone, but it is a completely different animal than the Triple Rectifier - no where near the gain, however, much more organic sounded. The note clarity is much better in my opinion.

The Cosma Shiva I have has a tad more Overdrive headroom than the newer ones, but I much prefer setting the distortion around 12 and driving the speakers to break up.

Best wishes with your new amp! :(

I got one about a month ago (EL34 version).

It's red.

... and it's going to be in the backline at the Hamer Paul-a-palooza event in October at the Excalbur.

Yes, it has godlike tone.

First the VHT, now this?

And people say I'M loud.

I got one about a month ago (EL34 version).

It's red.

... and it's going to be in the backline at the Hamer Paul-a-palooza event in October at the Excalbur.

Yes, it has godlike tone.

First the VHT, now this?

And people say I'M loud.

Now everyone can be too loud. That's what I'm talkin about!

I have done well over a hundred shows with a Shiva in a modern rock cover band. You can set up the OD channel for a good medium crunch, and use the boost to get into heavier territory when required. A clean boost into the front end will take it a step further. It is not a metal amp, but it will do modern rock well. Make sure to get it cranked up with the band before you judge it. It sounds very different at volume, and gets brighter as it gets louder. I run mine with the treble totally off at gig volume, bass and mid all the way up. It sounds like an odd setup, but I think it sounds fantastic. The presence acts as an effective treble control in this configuration, and normally hovers around noon.

The main problem I have with mine is that the loop is too hot for my effects unit. If you are getting a newer version (green back panel), that was presumably fixed. If you are getting the old version (silver), I can give you some tips for setting it up.

Enjoy!

Archived