Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Tell us about your screen name

chap

Around 20 years ago when I was editor of one of the music trade magazines, I started a marketing company with one of my main freelance writers. We originally called it Maye-Cohn Marketing Communications (using our two last names) and Cohn's wife had the brainstorm of "MC2" to shorten the long name, combining the two parts.

When Cohn relocated to Atlanta, he let me have the name and our clients.

A creepy sidenote....my only sibling, who I rarely see due to his line of work...first emailed me in the late 90s and HIS permanent email turned out to be a very similar famous equation...."pieare2," as in Pie R Squared. How odd is that?

We were both big math/science geeks in HS, so I guess it got engrained in us.

Velo is French for bicycle. I don't speak French, but virtually all of the bicycle press uses the term (velonews.com, velo-retro.com, nycvelo.com, ad nauseum). Being a cycling enthusiast needing a Skype user name, I chose velo for bike and my last name. Goofy, but it worked.

The HFC was the first message board I ever joined. Velorush was the only user name I'd ever used, so I just used that one.

This:

holoskull_1.jpg

The lower case letters in my screen name spell out the the quasi-finish on the guitar (which I bought NOS back in 1994), capital L and capital W in the screen name are in reference to those times when I do something so brainless and dumb that I must have a hollow skull...there you have it...holLoWskull :)

My initials + standard thanks to BCRGreg. When I bought a standard from him he asked who should he say "Twas a good day" for? I'm pretty slow on the uptake so he made up my username. Thanks Greg!

sw688blue

At the time, I had purchased my first handgun, a Smith & Wesson 686. The 686 is finished in stainless steel and since I wasn't too crazy about appending "ss" to the end of sw686, I decided to add my favorite color - blue!

Hence, sw686blue.

moparmagic was the name of a dodge drag racer back in the 70s

mopar is the parts and proformance side to chrysler, plymouth, dodge, desoto exc..

and my grandfather owned a dodge dealership back in the day. so i guess Mopar cars are in my blood :)

Okay, you asked for it:

Back in 2002, during my first deployment (to Diego Garcia, hardly a hardship), I discovered blogs.

I wanted to blog, too. I needed a blog name that wasn't taken to go with a yahoo.com account name that also wasn't taken.

OpinioNated was already gone.

So since I wanted to make people think, choice #2 was actually available.

Since then, I've also decided that "brainfertilizer" can equally imply "shit for brains". So it works both ways.

In any case, I was always just outside of the big time. I saw other people start after me, write pretty much the same things, but make it to become professional writers based on networking, or luck, or just an ability to connect with people more.

So these days, "Brainfertilizer" or "brain fertilizer" is unique enough I can use it anywhere, but so absolutely devoid of any fame whatsoever that the entire appellation succeeds as a self-deprecating comment on my utter failure to make any long-lasting impact in the blogosphere or anywhere else (interesting point: I'm actually pretty good at my job, but nothing else).

I think I may well hold the record for having blogged the longest (and most number of entries) without ever getting linked by Instapundit.

Sadly (or "fortunately," depending who you talk to), this even extends to my work at the Car Lust Blog.

Anyway, if you actually take the time to look in the wayback machine to see the crap I've written, you have already sought out punishment worse than anyone else can give you, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A friend gave me the nickname El Duave, based on the popularity of the song Rico Suave at the time, my Spanish heritage, and the fact that you add a "u" to Dave and you get Duave.

Kind of "The Doft One"?

?

El SDuave = The SDoft One :)

When I was signing up for my first ever non-school e-mail address back in the mid-'90s, all the permutations of my real name were taken, and having a number tacked onto the end seemed so dehumanizing. So I just brainstormed for a memorable string that wasn't taken. This pun popped into my head. I thought about using it as a band name, but the right situation never came up.

My first name is Greg and friends have been calling me G Man as long as I can remember. There is also a certain irony to it, as I am now and have been for many years, a long haired hippie.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

blackfbiv = fairly obvious i guess... pretty lame the more ya think about it...

Side note: I was originally going to go with my usual.. "Tibetanpet". that was my screen name way way back, when the cable inet was the @ home network.

Tiberatpet (my Lhasa Apso) @ home.com ... pretty clever I thought...

I decided to go with something more appropriate for a Hamer board.

If you see a 'tibetanpet' out there in the ether, it just may be me...

Because it has something to do with this ship and my name.

gorch-fock_in_see_2005jpg.jpg

Archived