Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Anyone try the RS Guitarworks Ultimate Hamer Upgrade Kit?

Kurt L

Question

I've got an old set of DiMarzios from a '78 Sunburst on the way from zenmindbeginner... am wondering how to get the most out of 'em.

Was thinking about dropping them into a killer '96 Studio Custom that currently has a JB/59 set. Also thinking about trying the RS kit, though I've never had any complaints about the Hamer pots and cap that are in it now.

Anything to be gained by swapping them out or am I just cork sniffing? Any experiences to share?

FYI - I have a '79 Sunburst and love the neck pickup tone. Would be very happy if the new (old) pickups could get close to that.

http://store.rsguitarworks.net/ULTHMRKIT.html

6 answers to this question

I picked up one of those kits a year or so ago to go in an all-mahogany 4-digit Standard, but haven't gotten around to installing anything yet.

Still waiting for Stike to get back on the bourbon and agree to do a particular paint job for me on that one... :P

While the quality of the parts is quite good, with a 250k tone pot, they've decided for you to turn your tone control half off (half it's resistive point, about 7 1/2 on your knob if it's audio taper, or 5 if it's linear. It's not the same with a volume controls though).

P.S. there is absolutely nothing wrong with Hamer's premium pots as is... or even the standard CTS pots available everywhere...

FWIW, I really like the RS kit in my Gibson, AND, I really liked the stock Hamer pots I put in my old special. The RS setup in the Gibson makes the tone and volume controls actually work throughout their range. There is an incredible array of tones available using both pickups and just working the knobs.

I got the Hamer pots from Unka Greg, along with a surprisingly good ceramic cap. The Hamer pots worked nicely because of that extra umph you get going from 9 - 10 on the volume knob. Also realize the standard Hamer tone setup (at least on those old Specials) was made so "normal" was around 5 with adjustments made from there. As described by the sage.

If it were me, I'd go with the Hamer pots in a Hamer, the RS pots in a Gibson or other... wait, I suppose that is what I did do...

Edited to fix the link!

I have the RS kit in my special and really love it. I have their kits in all of my guitars. Tone is subjective but clarity and sustain are pretty obvious and the RS kits really make a difference. The only con to RS Guitarworks is they don't answer Emails. At all. So if you have a question that isn't covered on the website you are stuck. Love the products and will continue to use them.

If it were me, I'd go with the Hamer pots in a Hamer, the RS pots in a Gibson or other... wait, I suppose that is what I did do...

This.

Archived