Hamer Fan Club Message Center

OD pedal topics: Jekyl &Hyde pedal

Lots of talk about OD pedals lately. I recently picked up the red Jekyl & Hyde pedal after reading lots of rave reviews. I have to admit, its very nice. One side is an OD the other is Distortion. The two sides can be set that one drives the other and you get some great sounds out of it.

I got one a couple weeks ago and dig it so far. It turned my 2 channel Delta Blues into an 8 channel tone machine (clean+OD/Dist./both and crunch+OD/dist./both). If you balance it right, you get 7 distinct OD/distortion tones that all sound very good.

I like the way the OD side will kick the overdriven channel on the amp into another gear while staying pretty transparent.

The Distortion side still needs some tweaking, but I'm closing in on a decent Carlos/sustainy thing with single coils. It sounds good at a distance but squeals like a banshee when you get close.

I have an easier time dailing in overdrive/distortion with humbuckers, so if I can make singles work, this pedal will be one of the best OD buys I've ever made.

I'll have to try the homeplate thing. LOL!

I have a Route 66, and although the OD side is a bit thin and raspy to my ears through my Valvetech (even with the bass boost engaged), the compressor side really adds some nice girth to the sound.

How is the noise level on the J&H? How would you describe the OD? For example, my Keeley TS 9 is very smooth and transparent.

I have a Emma RezaFRATzitz pedal that I use with a JCM 800, my modded Peavey Classic 30 and my BF Twin. Even though it sounds really good with every amp the noise level is bothersome.

The ReezaFRATzitz pedal is gritty and is more of a distortion pedal . The grittiness isn't for everybody but I like the "hair" it adds to my tone.

Archived