Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnnyB

What size truss rod wrench for Guild Pilot bass?

Question

JohnnyB    2,392

I just picked up a USA-made Guild Pilot for a ridiculous price ($99.99), but the neck could use some tensioning. It has the same style of hex rod nut as a Gibson or Hamer, but my Hamer wrench is too big. Anybody know what size truss rod wrench I would need for the Guild, knowing that it's smaller than the Hamer? BTW, what size is the Hamer?

6 answers to this question

crunchee    2,970

I was in a Guild Pilot bass phase a few years back, had a couple of poplar bodied ones in opaque colors, and a couple with flamed eastern maple bodies in trans finish. I coulda sworn that I'd used my Hamer truss rod wrench on all of those for adjustments, but they had the 'cake knife' headstocks rather than the snub-nosed HS or the 'footprint' shaped HS (if that makes a difference, which I shouldn't think it would). Perhaps they use the same size as the Carvin bass trussrod wrenches, I know that Carvin uses a smaller sized wrench. Unfortunately, I have no idea of the exact measured size, though.

JohnnyB    2,392

Got a 1/4" drive socket set?

I got one today at Home Depot because the entire set plus a ratched driver handle were less than a single truss rod wrench from Stew-Mac. The Gibson truss nut is 5/16", so I think it's safe to say that the Hamer uses the Gibson size, and since that wrench was too big for my Guild, it probably uses 1/4". The socket set I got today, however, turned out to be metric. The 7mm worked OK to get a quarter turn, but it's a little loose. 7mm comes out to .27559055", about .02" larger than 1/4", and 9/32" is .28125" for which 7mm would have been too small, so I think it's safe to say the Guild Pilot has a 1/4" truss rod nut.

JohnnyB    2,392

I checked. It's a quarter inch.

I have one on the way now from WD Music Products. This type seems to be the only kind that can fit into the recess in the headstock.

TRW_1_4.jpg

Thanks everybody.