Photo

What size truss rod wrench for Guild Pilot bass?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyB

JohnnyB

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:33 AM

I just picked up a USA-made Guild Pilot for a ridiculous price ($99.99), but the neck could use some tensioning. It has the same style of hex rod nut as a Gibson or Hamer, but my Hamer wrench is too big. Anybody know what size truss rod wrench I would need for the Guild, knowing that it's smaller than the Hamer? BTW, what size is the Hamer?

JohnnyB

Gas-free since I got my Newport...until I picked up bass 9 years later.

#2 tomteriffic

tomteriffic

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:50 PM

John, I'll be down in Buzzard Gulch later on and I'll check my Pilot out.
-----------------------------------------
Guitars. Nature's way of turning money into noise.

IPB Image

#3 crunchee

crunchee

Veteran HFCer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:29 PM

I was in a Guild Pilot bass phase a few years back, had a couple of poplar bodied ones in opaque colors, and a couple with flamed eastern maple bodies in trans finish. I coulda sworn that I'd used my Hamer truss rod wrench on all of those for adjustments, but they had the 'cake knife' headstocks rather than the snub-nosed HS or the 'footprint' shaped HS (if that makes a difference, which I shouldn't think it would). Perhaps they use the same size as the Carvin bass trussrod wrenches, I know that Carvin uses a smaller sized wrench. Unfortunately, I have no idea of the exact measured size, though.

"Wot th' f**k's a Bieber?"

--Ozzy Osbourne for Best Buy

"I don't always play James Bond riffs, but when I do, I use a Clifford Essex Paragon De Luxe Guitar!"

--mathman, March 3, 2013, 4:30PM

"Keep it simple, but, have fun.  Make it a rocket, not the command center..."

--murkat, March 18, 2013, 6:07PM

"I've got a Squier Hello Kitty strat, but I consider that more along the lines of a super shredder/fuck all y'all redneck fux/gun'n'knife club stunt guitar."

--Hackubus, May 25, 2013, 9:27PM

"Is it so hard to believe that someone who looks as good as I do thinks as well as I do?"  "If I haven't individually addressed you it's probably because you don't deserve a personal reply but I will leave you with a psychological profile that probably fits you."

--gmaslin, March 23, 2014, 2:13PM

#4 backinit

backinit

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:17 PM

Got a 1/4" drive socket set?

#5 JohnnyB

JohnnyB

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

Got a 1/4" drive socket set?

I got one today at Home Depot because the entire set plus a ratched driver handle were less than a single truss rod wrench from Stew-Mac. The Gibson truss nut is 5/16", so I think it's safe to say that the Hamer uses the Gibson size, and since that wrench was too big for my Guild, it probably uses 1/4". The socket set I got today, however, turned out to be metric. The 7mm worked OK to get a quarter turn, but it's a little loose. 7mm comes out to .27559055", about .02" larger than 1/4", and 9/32" is .28125" for which 7mm would have been too small, so I think it's safe to say the Guild Pilot has a 1/4" truss rod nut.

JohnnyB

#6 tomteriffic

tomteriffic

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

I checked. It's a quarter inch.
-----------------------------------------
Guitars. Nature's way of turning money into noise.

IPB Image

#7 JohnnyB

JohnnyB

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 8,984 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:45 PM

I checked. It's a quarter inch.

I have one on the way now from WD Music Products. This type seems to be the only kind that can fit into the recess in the headstock.

Posted Image

Thanks everybody.

JohnnyB