Hamer Fan Club Message Center

I can't remember!!!! Speaker wiring??

It's all about the difficulty for the current to travel from positive to negative (at least that's how I can remember it). If the current has to go through one speaker and then another (series) that's more resistance (higher ohm number), but if it goes through both side by side/ parallel that's appx. half as hard and lower resistance/lower ohm number. Way too simplified, but it works for me.

ok...I guess I'll have to go 8 ohms......no wonder I can't remember how ta do it!!.lol! I'm splitting one of my 4x12's into a stereo cab and for some reason I thought you could get a 16 ohm load with 2x 16 ohm speakers...running parallel/series.....hmm??

ok...I guess I'll have to go 8 ohms......no wonder I can't remember how ta do it!!.lol!  I'm splitting one of my 4x12's into a stereo cab and for some reason I thought you could get a 16 ohm load with 2x 16 ohm speakers...running parallel/series.....hmm??

No, but you can get a 16 ohm load with *four* 16 ohm speakers in series-parallel.

Ok...rewire is done and maybe most of you probably already knew this but...What I did was tore out all of the thread like speaker wire and used 10 Gauge wire and what a difference! I was thinking about my old Bogner cabinet and they use speaker wire thats at least 6-8 gauge...damn near 1/2" thick. Believe me...if you want to make a huge improvement to your tone (not implying you have a bad one! lol) rewire your speaker cabinets with as heavy gauge wire you can get away with! it's a cheap and easy upgrade!!! :blink:

Kurt,

I just bought 2 Celestion Century Neodyiums and 2 of the new Eminence redcote series Red Ryders which are supposedly copies of the Classic Lead 80 celestion. I bought them to put in my old slant top cab, and the wire is like twine, I'm rewiring it with monster cable, it'll be the best $20.00 I'll ever spend.

Guest Mike Lee
Current actually travels from negative to positive.

Electrons travel from negative to positive, but all electrical conventions and calculations assume current flow from positive to negative. The conventions were developed before anyone knew what an electron was. Think of current flow as the flow of postive "holes" opposite the flow of negative electrons.

But that's all irrelevant to speakers because they are true AC with a mean voltage of zero. Current goes both ways, in equal amounts. The + and - terminals are just for polarity.

Yeah, it's one of those conventions set up centuries ago, but they guessed wrong.

Electron direction oops

Fify-fifty chance, and it came up tails!

And, as Mike L. said, the current flow is defined as the movement of "holes" to counterbalance the flow of the electons. Always seemed like a CYA-sounding thing to me :blink:

LOL !!

Archived