Hamer Fan Club Message Center

PSA: Vector custom built for Melissa Etheridge

Guest _

I wonder what's custom about it.

The color for one thing.

I know, I know..."White is not a custom color."

Don't get me started.

White's not a custom color? That's odd. It carries a non-stock finish upgrade charge. I guess I missed the discussion...

I think white is a non-stock color.

The stock solid colors are black (BK) and goldtop (GT), right?

:blink: I think Kiz is being sarcastic! White is a custom color, but it seems that Hamer is the only manufacturer that upcharges for a common color like White. My new favorite is Trap inlays. If you have dots you have to pay $150 to upgrade to Victory and then another $150 to get Traps. Actually, I still think the $105 upcharge for Schaller Strap Loks is my favorite. I know, I know....they have to pull it off that fast moving assembly line and give it all kinds of special attention to install those $15 strap loks. Gotcha!

Victories from dots is a $390 upcharge.

Crowns from dots is a $300 upcharge

Crowns from Victories is a $100 charge

Victories from crowns is a $150 upcharge.

Blowpops and Pancakes...priceless.

Sounds reasonable to me!

The Schaller thing, I'd just do it myself. As far as a "Stock" v a "non-Stock" finish, they have to inventory all that stuff, code it, etc., so it isn't just as simple as it might seem to you and me to just buy some white paint. They are part of a large, publicly-traded corporation, and as such, every little part and piece of equipment has to show up somewhere in the chain for the auditors. It isn't the most popular thing to think of maybe, but any time there is a deviation from a standard practice, procedure or part on hand, they have to charge SOMETHING for it. Everything gets counted, everything has a cost associated with it that goes beyond the straight cost of the part. Sounds crazy, maybe, but there's a reason for all of it, and it all makes sense to me after having it explained. For the record, this is a pretty standard in the industry.

Try getting a custom color, different straplocks or even an ebony board from PRS. The ONLY way to do that is to go Private Stock (think I'm kidding?!?!?)

Strap Loks are easy to do on my own sure, but when your pimping the guitar why not let them do it all?

As far as the paint goes it seems you've been coached on that answer. :blink: We're talking white freakin' paint! WHITE PAINT! "Sorry, we just can't stock white paint. It's just one color too many and we'd have to count it, inventory it, account for it's cost, make a spot on the shelf, blah, blah, blah. Sorry, that's just too much to ask, so it's gonna have to be a custom color! :D

thecajunboy played that guitar about 6 - 8 months ago.

It's a Korina Vector, BTW.

Yup, that's the one. I wonder if it's still in Houston. I played it last Spring at the Guitar Center on Westheimer. On a coupla subsequent visits it wasn't to be seen. GC is like that though. The local NOLA location has a Goldtop P90 that they've been aging for a year and a half now. It appears and disappears off the rack and it's been on instrument exchange several times.

This could be one of the guitar myth but I was told years ago that plain White is actully is actually a difficult color to spray you know I had also heard that about Gold also.

My dumb idea here: I woud be cool if about every 6 months or so Hamer would rotate one non stock color in to there line up. May be like, old Fender Custom colors (Feiesta Red, or Burgendy Mist type colors)or even old Hamer stock color like (Trans green, Salmon Blush, LOL)

White can suck to spray but then again black and gold aren't too forgiving either. GMW upcharges for white. Normally they shoot polyester but white base coats develop yellowish blobs under poly(piss stains cause when they show up they piss you off) so they have to shoot urethane over white. But since Hamer doesn't shoot polyester that shouldn't be an issue.

Guest Mike Lee

Riff, do you actually work in management for a manufacturing operation? If so, please tell us who you or your company handles special orders and custom products.

I have been in manufacturing management for most of the last 10 years, and Chris Matthes is right, or at least the explanation is entirely plausible.

The upcharge for white must have been acceptable because you ordered an ice pearl Standard a while ago. What ever happened to that one? I haven't seen any pictures in a while...

yeh.. that looks like the same exact advert that was run when it was in GC in Houston. I passed thru that store on Westheimer a business trip or two ago and I didn't see it out.. I'll be there next week and will inquire.. If it's there I'll grease it up and offer the standard amount. :blink:

Guest Buck Dharma

Guitar Center is delusional with the vintage crap. A 1976 lousy heavy strat says vintage on it and they want like $2000. My favorite is the Fender Blues Junior that they make look old by putting fake burns and rips and drink circles then sell for $695. When are consumers gonna learn that alot of old stuff SUCKED and because it's older now it sucks even more.

When are consumers gonna learn that alot of old stuff SUCKED and because it's older now it sucks even more.

A lot of the old stuff that is beat up and played looking didn't suck then or has to suck now. It's the mint looking old stuff that never played or sounded good.

out..

Jeff.

That is an old listing. It says it was finished 5/04. There was a Pearl White Dean V recently on Evilbay that had Melissa inlayed on it and touted as her's too.

Guest cruster

You know, I never even looked at the auction date (still haven't). I just thought it was an 'interesting' listing.

Archived