Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Had a KICK ASS gig last night

We played a "back to the 70's" themed job last night, and I wasn't really looking forward to it. We had a bunch of tired old tunes on a list that, frankly, I was sick of in the eighties. We added another wrench in the mix by having an old friend of the drummer bring his keyboard and sit in for most of the night. This guy hadn't played with a band for something like 10 years and he's in the military so he's just back from the desert and he admits he's "kinda rusty". Well, it's lucky that our venue for the night has a nice, big stage because this guy brings in a (Korg?) Triton that's almost as big as my car. I thought maybe that's a good sign- no hack wannabe is gonna drag that around.

We start out the night with some Skynyrd and Eagles and it's fairly blah until our other guit player breaks a d string and we have to improvise a little without him, so I ask for requests and somebody yells out JETHRO TULL!!! So the rusty army guy on keys starts playing the intro to Locomotive Breath- he NAILS it- :blink: I got F-ING CHILLS he was that good- and I started in on guitar ( I didn't know it but it's EASY) we played that tune like we had rehearsed it a dozen times and that rusty, army dude sang it like a man possessed. The energy level in the room shot up and after that we couldn't miss with any of that old schlock. Hollywood Nights by Segar can be FUN if there's dance floor full of cuties ( no- really).

I was playing my P90 Special now loaded with Dimarzio hbs and it sounded KILLER. The bar had a great night and the owner gave us $100 bonus.

Sometimes I have to be reminded why I still do this- What a fun time ....

ps. Corduroy (sp?) suits are WAY too hot-n-sweaty to gig in (even on a cold Minnesota night)

Archived