Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Warren Haynes - opinions? NHC

Citrus

1st of all, this man should be playing a Hamer. Monaco, Sunburst or Standard.

Somebody please put one in his hands!

Having said that, and having spent the last month on a Warrn Haynes listening jag, I feel he is one of the best guitarists of that genre he plays in

1st he helps resurrect(sp?) the Allmans ( best player in that band since Duane passed) 1st with Dickey( I like his playing better than Dickey ) then with Derek Trucks,

2Then forms Gov't Mule while still with the Allmans

3Next playing ( helping to keep them alive)with The Dead

4On top of all that he plays solo acoustic shows

I have seen him in all of the above situations, and never ceases to amaze.

What do you folks think of him compared to Duane Allman?? -

Curious, becuse I have been repeatedly listening to one of the Allmans instant live recordings where he plays Why Does love got to be so sad/Franklins tower ( goosebumps every time ) and I can't help thinking that if he could help the above bands so well, and do the covers that he does so well, why not put him and Eric Clapton together for a one off Derek and the Dominoes. ( my own little pipedream)

I think he could ignite Erics playing with some cool interplay - something eric hasn't done a lot of since D&D - and since Cream is doing a one off reunion....

Sorry, this has been a little long, and I have been indulging.

Talk amongst yourselves...

Guest Buck Dharma

I like Warren alot but I think he is getting overexposed. I think he is a great player but not Duane. I think Derek Trucks is closer to Duane and he may be even better. He is into his own thing when you see his band. When you see derek with the Allmans he looks almost bored like it's too easy. I think he is one of the best at slide along with Rye Cooder and Sonny Landreth. And if Warren played a Hamer he would sound different and not like Warren. Hamers are great but they sound different than LP's. Just my oppinion!

Guest JackButler

Warren is a true MONSTER! I believe he is as well rounded a player as there has ever been..EVER!

Great tone, a wonderfully overflowing trick bag of licks AND a work ethic that is definitely second to none.

Haynes has his hands, ears, heart and mind hardwired together the way most only dream about.

I do find that I like his Mule style most of all. It seems that its him to the fullest without any restraints to band format or writing style.

I agree with the opinion that Warren Hayes breathed new life into the Allman Brothers. He really is one of the most toneful, soulful, players around right now. That being said you have to remember that Duane was 23 when he passed and there is no telling how great he may have become. I won't make comparisons because it is not fair to both. ( BTW I always thought Dickey was a good player, but not a great player. )

I like the Gov't Mule stuff as well.

Warren perhaps nailed it himself when, in an interview, he said "If you listen to me play for three hours and still walk away thinking 'Duane', you haven't paid attention." Well put, IMO. I think he's been the primary reason for the resurrection/survival of the ABB. I saw the original ABB in '71, two weeks before they recorded FILLMORE EAST, and comparisons between DA and WH are somewhat valid, but we've got more WH stuff to listen to... I just wonder when he sleeps...

Warren perhaps nailed it himself when, in an interview, he said "If you listen to me play for three hours and still walk away thinking 'Duane', you haven't paid attention." Well put, IMO. I think he's been the primary reason for the resurrection/survival of the ABB. I saw the original ABB in '71, two weeks before they recorded FILLMORE EAST, and comparisons between DA and WH are somewhat valid, but we've got more WH stuff to listen to... I just wonder when he sleeps...

Jesus H Christ!!! We must be close to the same age and maybe were at the same show!!!!!!!

Archived