Hamer Fan Club Message Center

What's Spinnin' ..

I'm in the middle of reading Bear, then Life and Times of Augustus Owsley Stanley III and as a result thereof, I am now listening to a Grateful Dead show recorded live at the Avalon Ballroom, 5/19/66 by non other than Bear.  Gotta love the internets.

• Like 1

Look what I picked up >>> Ozzys "Speak of the Devil" double LP. Mint $20. 1982 with Brad Gillis on guitar. They do all the best Black Sabbath tunes. I was really unsure on this one ... it could have really sucked. (I made the store owner promise that I could return it if it was horrible ) :) But NO ... it's actually quite good. Score!

• Like 1

I can appreciate  good music, some more than others...............there are some REALLY gifted people in this world  talent well beyond mine and most others as well.  This guy is one of them................one of the most gifted musical geniuses on the planet.I have had the privilege of seeing him more than a few times...............though he  is more well known for his prowess on violin[And for the genre of "BLUEGRASS"] he is also a master of mandolin and  this instrument.................................  you might have heard of him.                    

Edited by ARM OF HAMER
  • Like 1

BTW  that is Tony Rice looking on .

Edited by ARM OF HAMER
  • Like 2

Having both volumes of the Netherworld Saga. I must say I quite like them. Digged into the band a bit more. Vanden Plas seem not being a classic touring band over here, but rather produce and play metal operas in theaters in Germany. Although they frequently tend to play various festivals internationally. Also they seem to enjoy more popularity in France, the US and elsewhere in the world.

• Like 2

I just got another batch of LPs from my sister. This time there's a vocalist I wasn't familiar with--Arthur Prysock.

51BuDzbPyvL._SX425_.jpg

Although the orchestrations are a bit treacly, Prysock is one of those African American baritones with a voice as big as the outdoors. Think Billy Eckstine, Joe WIlliams, or Johnny Hartford.

• Like 1

Where did the time go? I bought this album when it was released in 2011, and I still think of it as one of my new records.

51VepXIqvML._SX425_.jpg

Mine is a double album of 180g LPs. If you are anywhere near my age, the song selection will send you surfing one wave of nostalgia after another--top 40 hits from the '60s (plus  Thelonious Monk's signature song) and '70s that resonated with Metheny in his formative years:

Disc: 1

1. The Sound of Silence
  2. Cherish
  3. Alfie

Disc: 2

1. Pipeline
  2. Garota de Ipanema
  3. Rainy Days and Mondays

Disc: 3

1. That's the Way I've Always Heard It Should Be
  2. Slow Hot Wind
  3. Betcha by Golly, Wow

Disc: 4

1. And I Love Her
  2. 'Round Midnight
  3. This Nearly Was Mine

All tracks are solo acoustic guitar played on a variety of designs, from a 6-string classical for "And I Love Her" to his 42-string Pikasso guitar for "The Sound of Silence."
18s01rxyxaf2bjpg.jpg

Here's his gorgeous rendition of The Beatles' "And I Love Her" played on a classical 6-string. Metheny has a strong affection for The Beatles. He was from a family of brass horn players (his grandfather was in John Philip Souza's band). At age 9, when he saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, he put his French Horn away, bought a Gibson ES-175 at a pawn shop, and started jamming to jazz guitar records.

Edited by JohnnyB
  • Like 2