Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dean Zelinsky Guitars

Check out this review. It addresses the cheap import issue. This is on the review section of the deanzelinsky website.

"This guitar is a keeper.
The Z-glide neck felt funny for the first few minutes grabbing it. But I can definitely move faster. Then I A/B it to a finish neck. There is not going back!

The 20:1 tuners do make a difference over 18:1 even. They seem to be lower mass than most other locking tuners which is nice - tone is not affected negatively. The Tusk string tree and nut take the hysteresis out of tuning when you over shoot. Very positive experience.

Frets are well dressed. The horns are about 1/2 to 1 fret farther back on along side of the neck than on a strat and the cut deeper so you can reach the 22 fret readily. This is ever so subtly different than a strat. This compliments the more pronounced waist of the Tagliare over the strat too. Visually it has beautiful design lines.

The pickups are articulate and clear. You get the strat like quack on 2 and 4 positions but the 2 position sounds closer to the strat 2 than the 4 does. But the pickups are more versatile otherwise than a strat IMO particularly with some drive. The basswood may help here and is better sounding than the typical low grade basswood found on imports - there is no mud or the slightest hint of muffling. Actually the more I play it in the 4th position the more I like it. It's got a hint of quick more has more sweetness. I think I may come to like this more in fact!

One tone knob works on the neck pickup and the other the middle and bridge pickup together. Oh I forgot to mention the middle pickup by itself sounds really good!

The tremolo arms screws in but past a certain point it is free wheeling. In other words it doesn't just keep getting tighter so you left hoping it bottoms out at the right stop.

The tremolo is set up floating (3 springs and I think 9's strings) and returns to zero nicely. The tusq and locking tunes make sure of that.

I got the black with rosewood. The rosewood is really nice. The neck profile I'm already bounding with and the radius whatever it is - not sure - I like it all over the nice.

I'm sitting here playing it (just came 20 minutes ago) and I'm checking tweaking the volume and tone and I'm finding a lot of settings I like. I'm loving the 4th position even more. Like the neck it wasn't what I was used to or expecting but the more I play it the more I love it.

This guitar is stellar, tonely versatile and a joy to play and it has nice visual curves.

I've had 3 American strats including an EJ which was my favorite so far but I like this better because of the tonal versatility. This is definitely a keeper.

I have nice Gretsch G6120 with single coils in it but I can do more tonally with this and I don't have to risk that on bar gigs now!

Thank you Dean!

also, let me reply to the saga of Dean moving around from company to company. When Dean closed in the '80's the name was sold off. Then sold again to Elliot the current owner. Dean was hired as a consultant and after getting the company up and running he was let go and not by his own choice. He then started DBZ and the same thing happened. He was not happy about it. He started Dean Zelinsky by himself with no outside help, i.e. partners, etc. So he now has full control. This is the last company he will do unless something unforeseen occurs.

Pete

Check out this review. It addresses the cheap import issue. This is on the review section of the deanzelinsky website.

The Z-glide neck felt funny for the first few minutes grabbing it. But I can definitely move faster. Then I A/B it to a finish neck. There is not going back!

The 20:1 tuners do make a difference over 18:1 even. They seem to be lower mass than most other locking tuners which is nice - tone is not affected negatively. The Tusk string tree and nut take the hysteresis out of tuning when you over shoot. Very positive experience.

Frets are well dressed. The horns are about 1/2 to 1 fret farther back on along side of the neck than on a strat and the cut deeper so you can reach the 22 fret readily. This is ever so subtly different than a strat. This compliments the more pronounced waist of the Tagliare over the strat too. Visually it has beautiful design lines.

The pickups are articulate and clear. You get the strat like quack on 2 and 4 positions but the 2 position sounds closer to the strat 2 than the 4 does. But the pickups are more versatile otherwise than a strat IMO particularly with some drive. The basswood may help here and is better sounding than the typical low grade basswood found on imports - there is no mud or the slightest hint of muffling. Actually the more I play it in the 4th position the more I like it. It's got a hint of quick more has more sweetness. I think I may come to like this more in fact!

One tone knob works on the neck pickup and the other the middle and bridge pickup together. Oh I forgot to mention the middle pickup by itself sounds really good!

The tremolo arms screws in but past a certain point it is free wheeling. In other words it doesn't just keep getting tighter so you left hoping it bottoms out at the right stop.

The tremolo is set up floating (3 springs and I think 9's strings) and returns to zero nicely. The tusq and locking tunes make sure of that.

I got the black with rosewood. The rosewood is really nice. The neck profile I'm already bounding with and the radius whatever it is - not sure - I like it all over the nice.

I'm sitting here playing it (just came 20 minutes ago) and I'm checking tweaking the volume and tone and I'm finding a lot of settings I like. I'm loving the 4th position even more. Like the neck it wasn't what I was used to or expecting but the more I play it the more I love it.

This guitar is stellar, tonely versatile and a joy to play and it has nice visual curves.

I've had 3 American strats including an EJ which was my favorite so far but I like this better because of the tonal versatility. This is definitely a keeper.

I have nice Gretsch G6120 with single coils in it but I can do more tonally with this and I don't have to risk that on bar gigs now!

Thank you Dean!

:lol:

That's a WHOLE lot of opinion in 20 minutes

also, let me reply to the saga of Dean moving around from company to company. When Dean closed in the '80's the name was sold off. Then sold again to Elliot the current owner. Dean was hired as a consultant and after getting the company up and running he was let go and not by his own choice. He then started DBZ and the same thing happened. He was not happy about it. He started Dean Zelinsky by himself with no outside help, i.e. partners, etc. So he now has full control. This is the last company he will do unless something unforeseen occurs.

Pete

Thanks for the input.

I suspect you are hired from Dean Zelinsky to do internet / viral promotion for them? Hanging out on guitar forums and similar places and spreading the word, pretending to be an ordinary guy? You only have seven posts on this forum, hardly what I call a regular member.

I dunno... ...both your original post and the "player review" seems kinda fishy to me.

I suspect you are hired from Dean Zelinsky to do internet / viral promotion for them? Hanging out on guitar forums and similar places and spreading the word, pretending to be an ordinary guy? You only have seven posts on this forum, hardly what I call a regular member.

I dunno... ...both your original post and the "player review" seems kinda fishy to me.

And he also jumped in to defend Dean... Yeah, fishy, fishy. He might even be Dean himself! :lol:

In any case, I wish Dean all the good luck in the world in his endeavors, but I don't even feel curious about that import line.

Deanado

Mc Dean or Mc Z would be apprpriate for the price tag.

I don't have a dog in the Dean story at all but seems like he ends up leaving every company he's involved with and I wonder why. Original Dean Guitars -- gone. Dimebag comes back to Dean and Z is back but then gone. Starts DBZ guitars -- now gone. Now this new company using the same designs as DBZ more or less. No reason he can't earn a living but at some point it's like WTF is wrong with him?

Not that it matters but I also think Dean Guitars milks the Dimebag thing WAY too much for my taste. Having said that, I went through a Dean Soltero phase a few years back and the MIJ and Korean models were cool, especially the import Leslie West I had. I also had a Dean Owners Club goldtop V I never should've sold...

I don't expect anyone to work for one company their whole life, but I'm kind of wondering if he's got an unending supply of guitar company names...

what's next? Deanoreeno?

Mc Dean or Mc Z would be appropriate for the price tag.

Thank you Dean!

That review was a frustrating read - it looks like it was auto-translated into English from a foreign language in some parts.

Agreed that that review has "shill" written all through it. That whole "20 minutes" thing completely discredits the entire thing.

Thank you Dean!

That review was a frustrating read - it looks like it was auto-translated into English from a foreign language in some parts.

Agreed that that review has "shill" written all through it. That whole "20 minutes" thing completely discredits the entire thing.

SHEESH! - the guy posts a review, attributed to the "Dean" website, and shares some info about Zelinsky (I have no idea if he's correct on his facts or not, FWIW), in an effort to add to the conversation, and he's got 4 guys jumping on him.

Do you all think that his intention was to "shill" for Dean back when he joined the HFC back in 2010?

[Mod edit - political content removed]

The "Dean" Police, indeed.

I think if you read the comments you'll see only one person directed comments towards Standardized, and no one ever called him a shill, just two "fishy's". Shill was only used to describe the person who wrote and/or the style of the review he copy/pasted to share with us.

I think if you read the comments you'll see only one person directed comments towards Standardized, and no one ever called him a shill, just two "fishy's". Shill was only used to describe the person who wrote and/or the style of the review he copy/pasted to share with us.

Exactly this. Although "Standardized" (Pete Flynn) is a dealer who sells/has sold Mr. Z's products, the criticism was squarely and clearly levelled at that BS reviewer and not him.

Everyones love the guitar they just dropped a a few hunnert on in the first 20 minutes. In twenty weeks? Not as sure a bet.

Standardized averages 3.3 posts a year. And pops up here to promote the new Deans, and he's a dealer. So...

Not saying he's not a great guy or an upstanding honest businessman, but where i work I'm in charge of social media among other things, and we encourage our brand evangelists to hang out in forums and spread the word if they are genuinely enthusiastic. Prob'ly are perfectly fine guitars, Standardized is probably genuinely enthusiastic for good reason. Just not very subtle.

I wonder why Dean doesn't go into greater detail on the hollowbody, the made in USA one? It's lovely to look at but at that price point I'd want a video of how they're made, some serious photos, peer reviews... more than $3500 and add to cart!

Everyones love the guitar they just dropped a a few hunnert on in the first 20 minutes. In twenty weeks? Not as sure a bet.

Yup. Look at the guitars we have kept for a decade or more versus the ones we had for a short time without regrets over selling them.

Yup. Look at the guitars we have kept for a decade or more versus the ones we had for a short time without regrets over selling them.

Shhh. Mitch's head will explode.... :D

Exactly this. Although "Standardized" (Pete Flynn) is a dealer who sells/has sold Mr. Z's products, the criticism was squarely and clearly levelled at that BS reviewer and not him.

I think if both you and cynic look closely, you'll see that two posts are directed at Pete.

Yeah, I see that you and cynic criticized the review only, I'll give you that, but I figured that "Standardized" was Pete, and I didn't like the shots (plural) at him, considering how long he's known Dean Z.

And for "cynic", he was clearly being accused of being here only to spread the word of Dean. I used shill for that reason. If you want to spend time splitting hairs about the suspicion of his posts being "fishy", or him being a "shill", have at it.

Hi all, if you haven't heard, Dean from Dean Guitars has started a new guitar company called Dean Zelinsky. Check it out at deanzelinsky.com. There's contest for a free guitar give away. Or go to facebook and like it and your signed up for the give away. The new Z Glide neck concept is incredible. An industry first.

Pete

:D

Umm...

And for "cynic", he was clearly being accused of being here only to spread the word of Dean.

yeah...

Let's be fair though -- as soon as Pete posted the review as some sort of legit "see how good these guitars are" thing, his credibility essentially started dancing around the bowl before dropping down the hole... So he was being either super f'ing lazy, or super disingenuous to try and make that dog hunt here - that review doesn't address anything - it's pablum that you'd spoon feed to a baby because they are too young to chew real food..

I want to hear about other guitars and guitar companies - but I want real opinions by real guys that at least respect me as a reader and give me something with a tiny bit of meat. This kind of introduction post just strikes me as so lazy and disingenuous it's basically spam. No disrespect to Pete but come on -- you can do better than that and you sure as hell should expect that we'd want more than that. We could have had a real conversation about these guitars and this kind of business model, the market niche for them, the direct sale model, Dean's history, Dean's future in the business --- We could have talked about designs, licensing, trademarks... We could have compared and contrasted Jol's model with Dean's... we could have done a lot of things --- but not after a "Hey guys check out these new guitars see how awesome they are".... and "check out this totally legit review that proves how awesome they are".... The whole thread was dead in the water after the first post.

Come on now Pete....

Well, out of my nearly 100 guitars, about 20 of them are USA Deans... Most custom ordered... I didn't buy them by accident. If my house caught fire, I'd be pulling more Deans out first then any other manufacturer. I'd probably go back for the wife though...

Archived