47 replies to this topic

#16 gorch

gorch

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

Dang, that Zenyatta is *thin*!...

That's what I thought. I wonder what material will be used for the body.

Yeah!

#17 Andrew

Andrew

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:37 AM

The best Deans were built in the Czech Republic or by US Masters. Unfortunately both are out of business.

The best Deans were built by Dean Zelinsky from the late seventies to 1982.

The man himself recently left the new Dean as he had lost confidence in their product.  He wasn't particularly involved in the US Masters, Tropical or Czech guitars.

Andrew.

Ultimate Hamer USA Archive at:

http://www.buddlejagarden.co.uk/hamer/guitar.htm

#18 BTMN

BTMN

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

The best Deans were built in the Czech Republic or by US Masters. Unfortunately both are out of business.

I own two guitars made here in the Tampa Dean custom shop. You need to try a new USA Dean.

I am lucky to own a couple Czech Deans and a couple US Masters made Zs that are all fantastic guitars. Hidden gems are 1996 USA made Deans some of them are REAL nice.

Free your mind and your ass will follow......

#19 Armitage

Armitage

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

The man himself recently left the new Dean as he had lost confidence in their product.  He wasn't particularly involved in the US Masters, Tropical or Czech guitars.

Um... he didn't leave...

I'm afraid that when I walk through those Asylum gates... It'll be just like coming home.

#20 Montelovesco

Montelovesco

Inner Circle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

I got a MIJ Soltero SL - cool thing, not good as a Hamer, of course, but good building quality, and nice sounding, especially in hi gain... Nothing wrong with it...

www.facebook.com/Montelovesco
Monaco, Monaco Superpro, Monaco Elite, Monaco III, Vanguard P90, 80 Special, 98 Artist Custom, 08 Studio Custom, Washburn MR-400, Ovation Adamas
www.blue-machine.de

#21 ib2010

ib2010

Inner Circle

• Supporter
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:17 AM

I've always liked the Cadillac-- 

#22 svl

svl

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:26 AM

I own two guitars made here in the Tampa Dean custom shop. You need to try a new USA Dean.

I am lucky to own a couple Czech Deans and a couple US Masters made Zs that are all fantastic guitars. Hidden gems are 1996 USA made Deans some of them are REAL nice.

My '96 USA triple PUP Caddy is a bad ass guitar.  Jay told me if was very likely made by Ben Chafin, which would make a ton of sense since the build quality on this is so damn fine.

Want a sparkle Czech Caddy, missed out on a red one I'm still kicking myself over...

#23 jisham

jisham

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

I don't have a dog in the Dean story at all but seems like he ends up leaving every company he's involved with and I wonder why.  Original Dean Guitars -- gone.  Dimebag comes back to Dean and Z is back but then gone.  Starts DBZ guitars -- now gone.  Now this new company using the same designs as DBZ more or less.  No reason he can't earn a living but at some point it's like WTF is wrong with him?

Not that it matters but I also think Dean Guitars milks the Dimebag thing WAY too much for my taste.  Having said that, I went through a Dean Soltero phase a few years back and the MIJ and Korean models were cool, especially the import Leslie West I had.  I also had a Dean Owners Club goldtop V I never should've sold...

Rockin' in the free world . . .

tumblr_m9javymUJc1r517iho1_250.gif

#24 DaveL

DaveL

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

I don't have a dog in the Dean story at all but seems like he ends up leaving every company he's involved with and I wonder why.  Original Dean Guitars -- gone.  Dimebag comes back to Dean and Z is back but then gone.  Starts DBZ guitars -- now gone.  Now this new company using the same designs as DBZ more or less.  No reason he can't earn a living but at some point it's like WTF is wrong with him?

Not that it matters but I also think Dean Guitars milks the Dimebag thing WAY too much for my taste.  Having said that, I went through a Dean Soltero phase a few years back and the MIJ and Korean models were cool, especially the import Leslie West I had.  I also had a Dean Owners Club goldtop V I never should've sold...

I don't expect anyone to work for one company their whole life,  but I'm kind of wondering if he's got an unending supply of guitar company names...

what's next?  Deanoreeno?  

#25 MCChris

MCChris

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 15,838 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:16 AM

Deanado

#26 Standardized

Standardized

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

Check out this review. It addresses the cheap import issue. This is on the review section of the deanzelinsky website.

"This guitar is a keeper.

The Z-glide neck felt funny for the first few minutes grabbing it. But I can definitely move faster. Then I A/B it to a finish neck. There is not going back!

The 20:1 tuners do make a difference over 18:1 even. They seem to be lower mass than most other locking tuners which is nice - tone is not affected negatively. The Tusk string tree and nut take the hysteresis out of tuning when you over shoot. Very positive experience.

Frets are well dressed. The horns are about 1/2 to 1 fret farther back on along side of the neck than on a strat and the cut deeper so you can reach the 22 fret readily. This is ever so subtly different than a strat. This compliments the more pronounced waist of the Tagliare over the strat too. Visually it has beautiful design lines.

The pickups are articulate and clear. You get the strat like quack on 2 and 4 positions but the 2 position sounds closer to the strat 2 than the 4 does. But the pickups are more versatile otherwise than a strat IMO particularly with some drive. The basswood may help here and is better sounding than the typical low grade basswood found on imports - there is no mud or the slightest hint of muffling. Actually the more I play it in the 4th position the more I like it. It's got a hint of quick more has more sweetness. I think I may come to like this more in fact!

One tone knob works on the neck pickup and the other the middle and bridge pickup together. Oh I forgot to mention the middle pickup by itself sounds really good!

The tremolo arms screws in but past a certain point it is free wheeling. In other words it doesn't just keep getting tighter so you left hoping it bottoms out at the right stop.

The tremolo is set up floating (3 springs and I think 9's strings) and returns to zero nicely. The tusq and locking tunes make sure of that.

I got the black with rosewood. The rosewood is really nice. The neck profile I'm already bounding with and the radius whatever it is - not sure - I like it all over the nice.

I'm sitting here playing it (just came 20 minutes ago) and I'm checking tweaking the volume and tone and I'm finding a lot of settings I like. I'm loving the 4th position even more. Like the neck it wasn't what I was used to or expecting but the more I play it the more I love it.

This guitar is stellar, tonely versatile and a joy to play and it has nice visual curves.

I've had 3 American strats including an EJ which was my favorite so far but I like this better because of the tonal versatility. This is definitely a keeper.

I have nice Gretsch G6120 with single coils in it but I can do more tonally with this and I don't have to risk that on bar gigs now!

Thank you Dean!

#27 Standardized

Standardized

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

also, let me reply to the saga of Dean moving around from company to company. When Dean closed in the '80's the name was sold off. Then sold again to Elliot the current owner. Dean was hired as a consultant and after getting the company up and running he was let go and not by his own choice. He then started DBZ and the same thing happened. He was not happy about it. He started Dean Zelinsky by himself with no outside help, i.e. partners, etc. So he now has full control. This is the last company he will do unless something unforeseen occurs.

Pete

#28 cynic

cynic

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

Check out this review. It addresses the cheap import issue. This is on the review section of the deanzelinsky website.

"This guitar is a keeper.

The Z-glide neck felt funny for the first few minutes grabbing it. But I can definitely move faster. Then I A/B it to a finish neck. There is not going back!

The 20:1 tuners do make a difference over 18:1 even. They seem to be lower mass than most other locking tuners which is nice - tone is not affected negatively. The Tusk string tree and nut take the hysteresis out of tuning when you over shoot. Very positive experience.

Frets are well dressed. The horns are about 1/2 to 1 fret farther back on along side of the neck than on a strat and the cut deeper so you can reach the 22 fret readily. This is ever so subtly different than a strat. This compliments the more pronounced waist of the Tagliare over the strat too. Visually it has beautiful design lines.

The pickups are articulate and clear. You get the strat like quack on 2 and 4 positions but the 2 position sounds closer to the strat 2 than the 4 does. But the pickups are more versatile otherwise than a strat IMO particularly with some drive. The basswood may help here and is better sounding than the typical low grade basswood found on imports - there is no mud or the slightest hint of muffling. Actually the more I play it in the 4th position the more I like it. It's got a hint of quick more has more sweetness. I think I may come to like this more in fact!

One tone knob works on the neck pickup and the other the middle and bridge pickup together. Oh I forgot to mention the middle pickup by itself sounds really good!

The tremolo arms screws in but past a certain point it is free wheeling. In other words it doesn't just keep getting tighter so you left hoping it bottoms out at the right stop.

The tremolo is set up floating (3 springs and I think 9's strings) and returns to zero nicely. The tusq and locking tunes make sure of that.

I got the black with rosewood. The rosewood is really nice. The neck profile I'm already bounding with and the radius whatever it is - not sure - I like it all over the nice.

I'm sitting here playing it (just came 20 minutes ago) and I'm checking tweaking the volume and tone and I'm finding a lot of settings I like. I'm loving the 4th position even more. Like the neck it wasn't what I was used to or expecting but the more I play it the more I love it.

This guitar is stellar, tonely versatile and a joy to play and it has nice visual curves.

I've had 3 American strats including an EJ which was my favorite so far but I like this better because of the tonal versatility. This is definitely a keeper.

I have nice Gretsch G6120 with single coils in it but I can do more tonally with this and I don't have to risk that on bar gigs now!

Thank you Dean!

:lol: 

That's a WHOLE lot of opinion in 20 minutes

'79 Standard (0227), '79 Standard (0252)
'83 Blitz, '93 Diablo II, '94 Duotone, '95 Eclipse 12, '96 Daytona
'99 Newport, '03 P-90 Special, '07 Talladega, '08 Talladega

#29 bubs_42

bubs_42

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 10,590 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

also, let me reply to the saga of Dean moving around from company to company. When Dean closed in the '80's the name was sold off. Then sold again to Elliot the current owner. Dean was hired as a consultant and after getting the company up and running he was let go and not by his own choice. He then started DBZ and the same thing happened. He was not happy about it. He started Dean Zelinsky by himself with no outside help, i.e. partners, etc. So he now has full control. This is the last company he will do unless something unforeseen occurs.

Pete

Thanks for the input.

Edited by bubs_42, 27 August 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#30 Disturber

Disturber

Veteran HFCer

• Supporter
  • 4,597 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:40 AM

I suspect you are hired from Dean Zelinsky to do internet / viral promotion for them? Hanging out on guitar forums and similar places and spreading the word, pretending to be an ordinary guy? You only have seven posts on this forum, hardly what I call a regular member.

I dunno... ...both your original post and the "player review" seems kinda fishy to me.