Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Dwight Yoakam Tonight...

blackfbiv

Recent album "Three Pears" is good from start to finish. I do like his work with Peter Anderson in the 80s and 90s - a set of good to great albums, one after another.

I see he's at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas December 8 and 9.

That could be a fun trip!

Simply put, the man is an icon...

I can't think of a single missed hit... oh, "I Sang Dixie" I guess...

But yeah, tight band. The multi-instrumentalist in back, Guitar/keys/pedal steel was really good at his job. Eugene Edwards was a touch 'clangy' for my taste but it worked. I realized I could play bass in the band...

House was loud but clean. The way it should be.

DY can still sing.. only a few cheater notes all night.

Mrs Blackfbiv was in heaven. She does not like country music as a rule... but has always loved Dwight... she was still talking about it this morning. She did keep saying 'please don't take your hat off, Dwight' all through the show though. :P

I'd go see him again anytime.

Opener was a young fellow from around these parts that is making a name for himself. #1 video on CMT Canada with 'Started with a Song'. It'll probably chart at #1 in a week or so.

I remember him from about 10 years ago when he was 13 and winning local TV talent events and such.

He's still a 'cover' band at heart... he looked happiest when he was singing the greats!

• 4 weeks later...

Nice interview with Pete Anderson in the current (December 2013) issue of Vintage Guitar. Talks about the early days with Yoakam's band. They had been trying to make "Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc." for two years. Says that the band had been fired from *every* club gig, and pretty much every label had turned down the record. They ended up releasing it as independent EP in early 1985. The album turned out to sell 2 million copies. Anderson talks about his influences and his gear. If you know his style, it comes as no surprise when Anderson says that the song comes first and he admires players who play within the song. "I never play to impress as a guitarist; I'd much rather create a likeable song and play something within it."

Archived