Hamer Fan Club Message Center

The "official" HFC Klon KTR thread :)

unfun75

I've had my Klon for years long before the bubble started, and have been tempted to sell for a large profit, but I use it all the time and haven't found anything else that does what it does. Maybe I'll try the EH. I'd love to find a cheap pedal that could replace it and cash out.

So, what DOES it do that warrants all the fuss? Serious question as I have not had the pleasure.......

For me it's just a great clean boost that makes pretty much every amp I've put it in front of sound bigger, better, etc.. I've tried many many clean boosts / ods over the years, and the Klon is the best boost I've found. In boost mode it doesn't sound like a pedal that's the best I can describe it. Also it tightens up the low end on everything I dislike flabby fuzzy low end on amps and this makes it tight and crisp without affecting the tone too much. Thats probably the thing I like most about it.

I'd never pay going rate for one, but I think I payed just over $300 when I got mine, I thought that was fairly crazy for a pedal, but wanted to see what all the fuss was about. The only other OD I use is an old Landgraff LDO for a bit more grit that I've had for years as well, but the Klon is on most of the time.

• 1 month later...

still waiting , original delivery date was jan 11 , then jan 23 , got a package from MF yesterday assumed it was the "Soul Food " .......nope , they screwed up the order sent me a beringer power supply ?! good news & bad news , I can keep the power supply and they'll be sending out the Soul Drive at no charge ......... when their back in stock again..... sometime after feb 23 . anyone else get one ?

^^^^ interesting article , klon was developed to make his tele sound more amped up ! wouldnt have guessed that .Well, since I've lost most of my enthusiasm for the thing Its good that its free. they are also sending a coupon? for a discount on a JHS upgrade to add a low end / bass / level/ eq ???? I buy a lot of ods so at some point the lil differences are almost meaningless other than some work better than others with various guitar & amp combinations . ive gone back to my old ts9 driving an ocd @18v , i'm diggin that right now !

The Rawkworks demo is a pretty good example of what I was talking about. They sound similar, but the Klon keeps the lower end string sound tighter, crisper than the light OD. Its subtle with some amps and pronounced with others.

I've been away from pedals for some time, just been happy with what I have, but I may have to try the EH and the Visual sound too.

I ordered the EH this morning. Its not always about what you hear but more about what you feel when they are on. I have the Visual Sound buffer under my board and I can't live without it at this point. The Clon uses a Buffer as well and they has to be part of the effect.

3 comparison videos here on the klone vs ????? , honestly didnt think their was much of a significant difference in sound with any of them ! I am curious about the visual sound echos though ,good stuff Ive played through the old jeckle & hyde & the route 66 alot , but I prefer having two separate units usually . the exception being the exotic bb+ which I think is a great pedal for low volume high gain playing (allows that combination without masking the sound )

I ordered the EH this morning. Its not always about what you hear but more about what you feel when they are on. I have the Visual Sound buffer under my board and I can't live without it at this point. The Clon uses a Buffer as well and they has to be part of the effect.

And Canceled. Shows available then I get the backorder notice from GC. Nadda i'm not waiting for the back order to be completed.

I really like my clean boost i'm using now. TC Mojo Mojo, I have the 4knob and the single knob versions. Both different in what they do, but you could almost get away with just 3 of the 4 knob version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

finally got the soul food from mf last fri march 7( ordered before christmas ) , sounded pretty good by itself . was less impressed with it driving the OCD (which is were it replaced the tube screamer) . used it sat for a gig in bypass , havent used it in buffer mode yet . I can see why theres a jhs mod for a low end , maybe a little weak on the bottom . since mf sent the wrong item in Jan they were to send the sf free with a coupon for the jhs mod , they did send it free almost 3 mos later but no coupon ? o well not a bad little pedal for the price, but probably wont replace the OCD or BB+ or green rhino on any of my pedal boards .

• 1 month later...

I have the Soul Food but as I have never played through a Klon, I have no clue how close it is.

I am not a pedal guy at all, but I really like this one. Used as a boost with a touch of grit, it makes everything seem bigger, for lack of a better word. Got mine from amazon for $58. I like it.

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a Monsterpiece STUD Klone. I really like it. Works well with all my amps and guitars. Some as a clean boost and some as a gritty boost. Really good pedal. The Soul Food is similar but the STUD seems more alive, if that makes sense.

Both are great though. I get the Klon thing, but prices for the real thing is crazy. Klones work for me.

I ended up selling my gold klon. A local guy was building clones and I was invited to A/B one. Around that time they also released the Soul food.

I bought one of the clones as it was exactly the same. A/B'd for quite a while through my board and my switcher couldn't tell the difference. The Soul Food was pretty close, but you loose some low end vs the Klon, but for the money that's what I take when I play out of the house as the clone needs power, and live you could never tell.

Ended up selling my Klon on craigslist for way more than I paid for it. I wasn't trying to gouge anyone and priced it below market, it sold in under a day, but I still made enough to buy a boutique amp. :) Crazy shit man.

Archived