Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Diablo truss rod

JimiH

Hi guys

I've had my diablo for maybe 18 yrs and I was thinking it's always played really nice but I have never touched the trus rod at all. It's had 9's, 10's and recently I put 11's on it. Still seems fine to me. Any quick checks I can do to verify I'm getting the lowest action?. I read some horror stories about them snapping so I want to make sure mine doesn't.

Cheers

Geoff

best way would be to hold hold down the E string at the 1st fret and the 13th fret, and see how much space there is between the string and the 5th fret. This is a rough measurement of neck relief. If it's more than the width of a heavy pick, you can probably get it a bit lower. I usually like a thin pick between the 5th fret and the string holding down at the 1st and 13th frets.

Cheers, I will test this tomorrow.

Built pretty well my guitar, last year a had to put a thin backing plate underneath the bridge as the saddle screw thread stripped on the G. Tried some helicoils first but they were rubbish. I also noticed the bridge pickup raises up after a while on the treble side due to me resting my palm on the pickup. I have to screw it down again once a fortnight. Thinking of some thread lock to sort that out.

Thanks

Geoff

I have and have had guitars that need/ed religious twice-a-year truss rod attention usually due to switching from running the AC to the heater in the house and tweaks here and there due to hot or cold outdoor gigs.

Others haven't needed a truss rod adjustment in years after the initial setup and a re-check a couple days later after the neck adapted to where I wanted it.

I assume your Diablo has a floating trem. You compensated for variable string tension when you re-floated the guitar bridge via claw adjustments to return of your action of choice. That has minimal effect on neck tension.

In short ... if it isn't broken, don't fix it. You're still winning the game.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived