Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Arpeggio Solos

Post examples of your favorite solos that use arpeggio. I love to use this in my playing and really appreciate those that are the best at it.

This is one of my favorites:

arpeggios are a huge staple of riffs and solos. they are a great way to move smoothly from one register to another. Too many to even think of a favorite.

Arpeggios are everywhere, but to me the man who really squeezes the best out of them is Marty Friedman, at least in the metal world. His phrasing is unique, as well as his choice of notes. In short, he's a master of melodic soloing. This is a compilation of some of his best solos -and you'll find many arpeggios there, for sure:

This one might qualify nowadays as old-school shred, but those arpeggios still sound AWESOME to me:

In fact, the whole album is a gem:

:)

Here I go again. :) What follows is the kind of shred that really talks to me, because it still sounds like a human being playing a guitar. You can feel the sweat, the struggle to get it right, although it's also technical-enough to impress any connoisseur. Enjoy it!

Ty Tabor has been one of my favorite players for a while now. Continually blown away by the fluidity and phrasing.

This clip is from 22 years ago, but has a nice twisty little arpeggiated section right around the 3:55 mark (hopefully the clip starts about 3:17 where the outro begins...) and he leads in to the whole thing with a few repeated simple D maj arpeggios. What's especially cool is this part of the song is usually pretty off-the-cuff improvised around a couple little fragments--never the same thing twice.

http://youtu.be/p9sO3bcWdpM?t=3m17s

Grew up a massive Priest fan, and Glenn Tipton always had nice vibrato, phrasing and fluidity as well. Also really impressed me when both he and KK really hit the woodshed for 1990s Painkiller record. I'm sure this link has been posted here before, but it's a good example of both his style, plus some arpeggio stuff--not to mention the Hamer content! :)

http://youtu.be/uItzqbGYfq0?t=1m3s

Caught on to Uli John Roth way late. Great player!

I saw Mac Alpine once. It was a shit load of notes and became boring within 15 minites.

Post examples of your favorite solos that use arpeggio. I love to use this in my playing and really appreciate those that are the best at it.

This is one of my favorites:

This is really cool. Not sure I've heard anything quite like it before. Some very cool jazzy sounding voice-leading going on between 3:20 and 3:33.

And in a completely different vein, this is the one that came to my mind when you brought up solos using arpeggios. A jazz fusion piece with arpeggios all over it that absolutely blows me away. I see someone posted a Greg Howe song already, but in this one he traded the sizzling shred tone in favor of a singing, sustaining overdrive. The tone of his guitar can be heard here, as well as the nuances of his technique.

Here I go again. :) What follows is the kind of shred that really talks to me, because it still sounds like a human being playing a guitar. You can feel the sweat, the struggle to get it right, although it's also technical-enough to impress any connoisseur. Enjoy it!

Cool song. With that extended fretboard, who needs a Whammy pedal?

I've seen UJR in concert twice. He puts on an amazing show.

Very unique and amazing player, who had a big hand in shaping the sound of rock guitar since he came on the scene.

And BTW, I used to listen to McAlpine's Maximum security album non-stop in the car back in the late 80's. Fantastic album.

And BTW, I used to listen to McAlpine's Maximum security album non-stop in the car back in the late 80's. Fantastic album.

Yes. From his early works "Maximum Security" remains a masterpiece to this day. I still listen to it from time to time and the melodic contours and musical ideas MacAlpine put in there still amaze me.

But after that early period he got somewhat lost between not getting labeled "Tony MacMalmsteen" and trying to become the next fusion/prog prodigy kid.

Luckily for him he at least succeed to making a living as a hired gun, both as a keyboardist and a guitarist. He also has released a bunch of albums, some better (or more listenable) than others.

From all those, his last studio album, simply named "Tony MacAlpine", is one of the best ones. Very djent-ish at times, but also very interesting both melodically and harmonically.

Archived