Hamer Fan Club Message Center

Explorer project incoming

I just bought this custom Mahogany/Korina Explorer husk. I'm rounding up parts and electronics to make this beast come alive!!! I will have more pics and clips as it comes together.

_56_zpsbc926077.jpg

_55_zps66102d94.jpg

_59_zps49e9de1f.jpg

_54_zpsb614f314.jpg

_58_zps142ba72d.jpg

_57_zpsfd582dcf.jpg

Seriously, though, what's the story on the build?Looks too nicely made to be a home project. Is it a Heritage cast-off?

its not a Heritage...its just a husk I bought off ebay. Some luthier in OH built it.

This project got off to a bumpy start. When I first saw the box, I expected to find a broken neck, since it was in a gig bag.

ex6_zpsfbce9dd7.jpg

Luckily, there was only a couple dings in the body.

I started with the nut...I cheated and bought a pre-grooved nut. Then started wiring. There was no hole from the tailpiece post to the control cavity for the ground wire, so I had to buy a long drill bit and drill that hole. Installed the hardware and started doing the setup.

ex3_zps7a195020.jpg

ex2_zpsc854079f.jpg

The guitar setup very well! whoever did the fretwork on the stainless steel frets did a great job! The neck is perfect, with help from the dual action truss rod.

The build quality is excellent as well.

The guitar has a very warm tone. I'm very happy with the final product.

IMG_0010_zps73b1e9b7.jpg

IMG_0011_zpsd0ab75aa.jpg

IMG_0013_zps199f0c5f.jpg

IMG_0016_zps39d5cd26.jpg

IMG_0017_zps78380b3e.jpg

IMG_0022_zps9caf43c6.jpg

IMG_0024_zps2d351ed9.jpg

That's a lovely room you've got there Brent. I like the cut neck hanging and bouncing. The guitar looks fantastic with the pickguard. Is it made from wood? It takes a bit saussage from the sandwich, easing the look. Really nice.

As far as I can see in the video, the string lead on the headstock is much more straight than on Standards. So, your guitar would be a great candidate for a floating tremolo that I had missed at some points in your playing.

Great job Brent!

Brent, you always impress!! where do you find tis stuff??

Thanks man!

I found the husk on ebay. He had a Bacchus Explorer on ebay that I was thinking about buying and then I saw that he also had this husk for sale. I liked the look of this one better even though it required a lot more elbow grease. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

That's a lovely room you've got there Brent. I like the cut neck hanging and bouncing. The guitar looks fantastic with the pickguard. Is it made from wood? It takes a bit saussage from the sandwich, easing the look. Really nice.

As far as I can see in the video, the string lead on the headstock is much more straight than on Standards. So, your guitar would be a great candidate for a floating tremolo that I had missed at some points in your playing.

Great job Brent!

Thank you!

The PG is wood...it came with the husk.

Are you referring to putting a Kahler on it? I don't think I could do that. Maybe a Vibromate and a bigsby?

Great job Brent!

Thank you!

The PG is wood...it came with the husk.

Are you referring to putting a Kahler on it? I don't think I could do that. Maybe a Vibromate and a bigsby?

:lol: No, I'm not a Kahler jerk. I'm not sure, but think Wilkinson has a nice one that would fit optically to the bridge you have on now. It was just an idea that came up while watching you playing in the video. I thought a whammy bar would make it even nicer.

I put a Schaller LP trem on a MIK Standard years ago. However, sometimes I struggle with the headstock angle of the Standard. Your guitar seem to be a better candidate though.

Archived