Hamer Fan Club Message Center

low cost low wattage tube amps

Citrus

See if you can find an Allen Class Act. They are kind of like a Univalve in that you can run a bunch of different output tubes in it. These were sold as kits or assembled by David Allen. If they don't have a serial number on the back, they were probably sold as kits. They have a master volume and sound like a big amp at low volume. Lee

Guest cruster

Not sure of the actual wattage, but I've been intrigued by the Peavey Classic 20. Smaller than the 30 and it has a headphone out. Hard to find, as they only made them for a short while before cancelling them due to lack of demand.

I don't know if that would work for you, but just another one to consider.

I know this has been done before, but looking to spend 300 or less, 15 watts or less, and I would like tubes

basically a good bedroom amp

Any opinions on the Songworks Little Lanilei 1/4 Watt (or the 7 Watt) tube amp?

And the Tech21 TM10. It's not tube but seems to be pretty good.

Gabe :P

I know this has been done before, but looking to spend 300 or less, 15 watts or less, and I would like tubes

basically a good bedroom amp

Any opinions on the Songworks Little Lanilei 1/4 Watt (or the 7 Watt) tube amp?

And the Tech21 TM10. It's not tube but seems to be pretty good.

Well...Im expecting a Little Lanilei 1/4 watt this week. I will give a full report once I get a chance to wring it out.

I also have an amp buile buy Chrus Hurley of Doberman Amps, formerly of AX84 project. They sell them as kits and they appear to be pretty simple to put together. Mine had the ability to use both el84 and 6n1p tube to go from 7 watts down to 1 watt. It sounds great and I can get killer output tube distortion from a 1X12 recto cab at very low volume.

Well...Im expecting a Little Lanilei 1/4 watt this week. I will give a full report once I get a chance to wring it out.

I am very much interested.

The Fab amps seem to be worth checking out too.

Here is the link:

http://fab.stuff.home.comcast.net/index.html

I have heard clips of the little lanilei. Its not a full on gain monster but it gets nice blues spank all the way up to classic rock. I plan on using my Jekyl & Hyde to push it to that level.

The AX84 custom doesnt need any push. I really should put some clips together. Im back in my "tone-zone" and Im buying gear like a fiend.

There are several low cost options.

Don't laugh, check into the Epiphone Galaxy amps. All tube and CHEAP.

The 10 watter is about $200.00 and the 25 watt version is 249.00 at Musicians Friend.

The Fender Blues and Pro Jr's have been mentioned but if you want to go for Fender tone and a few more bucks the Traynor YCV20 is highly recommended. It also has a very usable OD channel. I'm not sure what they go for used but I expect in the $400.00 range.

Just my .02

Don't laugh, check into the Epiphone Galaxy amps. All tube and CHEAP.

The 10 watter is about $200.00 and the 25 watt version is 249.00 at Musicians Friend.

The Fender Blues and Pro Jr's have been mentioned but if you want to go for Fender tone and a few more bucks the Traynor YCV20 is highly recommended. It also has a very usable OD channel. I'm not sure what they go for used but I expect in the $400.00 range.

Just my .02

I have the Electar 10 which is the same amp as the Epi. I changed the speaker to a Weber which is an improvement but its still pretty weak.

Don't laugh, check into the Epiphone Galaxy amps.  All tube and CHEAP.

Just my .02

I have the Electar 10 which is the same amp as the Epi. I changed the speaker to a Weber which is an improvement but its still pretty weak.

I just called and asked and he said he got his 10 watt Epi for $150.00 out the door.

He swapped the tubes and the speaker as well and said it works just fine as a practice amp with nice tube OD. I heard it and I concur. The problem with these el-cheapo amps is you can't expect quality to be consistent so you may have to go through a few before you find a decent one.

Alot of good ones named already, however, I would add the often overlooked Fender Blues Deluxe.

www.reinhardtamps.com

My 18 watt head is coming this week and couldn't be more excited.

Umm, no offense, but that amp is missing several of the original poster's criteria. For example:

1. Cheap -- there's no WAY that amp is under $300. Hell, it's probably closer to the $1200-1500 range if he wants to make any profit. He can't get the transformers and box hardware for $300.

2. Bedroom amp -- trust me on this one. I've built the exact same circuit and done some custom work on a similar power amp. That is NOT a bedroom amp without a lot of attenuation.

Great amp, very lovely cabinets, and you're going to find it has an amazingly punchy and LOUD tone to it. It'll take on all but the very loudest of drummers. I bet you LOVE the thing when it arrives.

Back to the original topic -- one of the best cheap deals on an all tube amp is the Kalamazoo. If you want very low wattage with a neat tremelo, they can be had for the low $100 range. They won't do major overdrive, but if it's a bedroom level practice amp you can just use a pedal.

Bedroom amp? Fendr Champ (used) or for reAL BOUTIQUE TONE try one of the Auble amps. They go down to 1/2W. Seriously, you don't want more than 5W in the BR.

gregc

edited to add:

Auble Amps

Archived