Hamer Fan Club Message Center

My Hamer bass "collection"

I have been on a Hamer binge that started in March of this year. Started with my 1982 Blitz bass, followed quickly by a Slammer short-scale, then followed up by the 1986 FBIV bass. I am (probably) not going to be able to buy another bass this year, but I think I'm OK with that :D

I have been lusting after the FBIV's since they were first released. I never really thought I would be able to buy one tho, but I am so glad I did!! The shortie Slammer was a $45 BIN on Ebay that turned out to be a local seller. How can you pass that up?? It will be a great travel bass for my vacation in Sept.

Anyhow, here is my small collection of Hamers, which I hope to add to very soon.

L to R

Slammer Short Scale, 1982 Blitz Bass, 1986 FBIV

P1010178_zps216971ec.jpg

Excellent!

Great collectio you have there! Is it worth to change pups on Slammer basses like with XT line guitars?

Thanks everyone!!! So far I'm really pleased with all 3 of these basses. I have a hunch that there will be other Hamer's joining the collection over time.

Gorch, I'm not sure I would bother replacing the pickups on the Slammer for my uses. It seems like a well made bass so if I was going to use it as a gigging bass, I would do some upgrades if they seemed appropriate.

Those little Slammer SB4's are really great as is, especially with flats. Tons of deep, robust low end out of 'em.

I really like the necks on those, in fact, I'm getting ready to have a luthier buddy of mine reshape the headstock

on one of those into a shrimpfork and set it into a mahog special body with a single X2N. I'll post some pics as the

project develops. (maybe I should drop in those T-Bird pups I got from you;})

Really nice basses, Andy!

Those little Slammer SB4's are really great as is, especially with flats. Tons of deep, robust low end out of 'em.

I really like the necks on those, in fact, I'm getting ready to have a luthier buddy of mine reshape the headstock

on one of those into a shrimpfork and set it into a mahog special body with a single X2N. I'll post some pics as the

project develops.

Can't wait to see how that comes out. My dream B4S would be something along the lines of the Pete Farndon bass. Sounds an awful lot like what you described...

project develops.

Can't wait to see how that comes out. My dream B4S would be something along the lines of the Pete Farndon bass. Sounds an awful lot like what you described...

Yep, can't do the pink though, thinking of a pearlescent lavender or burgundy mist. Also, I'm gonna use a Warwick 2 piece bridge/tailpiece instead of the 3 point like on Farndon's.

Thanks! I had thought about using those T-Bird pickups in an 8 string Bird, but I have too much going on for any projects right now. Hope they work out well for you tho.

Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out!!!

Yep, can't do the pink though, thinking of a pearlescent lavender or burgundy mist. Also, I'm gonna use a Warwick 2 piece bridge/tailpiece instead of the 3 point like on Farndon's.

I like burgundy mist. Gibson's heather poly might look cool too - lighter, more lavender.

Almost redid my tbird in that color, but chickened out and went with ocean turquoise.

Good move on the bridge. I can get along with the 3-points, but wouldn't intentionally do it :)

Thanks Andy! Yeah, I think those bird pups are going in a Jazz bass I'm tricking out!

@Chromium: Heather poly would look good,I think that's what I'll go with. Ditto on the 3-point!

Oooh! That's quite an undertaking. But I like mine just fine as is. I put ground rounds on mine and it covers a lot of territory. Doesn't wear out these smallish hands either.

• 2 weeks later...

Three years ago (or thereabouts) I picked up a black FBIV on eBay (I'm in the UK). Pretty apparent the seller really didn't know what he had and I got it for a paltry £350 (c.$500). No case, but happy to say the Epiphone Thunderbird case is a perfect fit.

I decided it would look better all black, so replaced the bridge and machines with like for like Schaller replacements. It sounds awesome, but to be honest I'm genuinely concerned about gigging it in case some thieving b*st*rd lifts it, so it gets regular trips out for rehearsals.

Good hunting everyone.

P

Archived